2012 Chrysler 200 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 232016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated and the horn randomly sounded without warning. In addition, the vehicle randomly stalled numerous times. A pass time failure occurred and the dealer rewired the vehicle. A mechanic indicated that the tipm was faulty and may need to be replaced. The mechanic suggested that the vehicle be taken to the dealer for further inspection. The dealer was notified of the failure and the contact was uncertain as to why they indicated that the orc module needed to be replaced, but did not verify if the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (air bags and electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was to check with the manufacturer to determine a repair solution for the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 89,444.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 152016

There was a recall on my vehicle I took it to the dealership in harrisonburg va to be repaired. They only fixed the active head restraints. My car failed a state inspection due to my airbag light illuminating. I have read that "certain" Chrysler 200's 2012 they are to reprogram the tipm then replace the occupant restraint module if needed. They refused to replace this gave me an estimate of $400. I called Chrysler and they also said my car was not recalled based on the VIN and my issue. I am a single mother with two kids my car has 67,000 miles on it has never been wrecked or damaged and I believe Chrysler should replace this. My car is only 4 years old an airbag should not become defective in 4 years. This exact issue is what other 2012 Chrysler 200S have also. I am still unable to have my car pass a state inspection and I also informed Chrysler that when passengers ride in that seat they are putting lives at risk by not acting quickly. It is dangerous and Chrysler should recall all 2012 200's. it hey informed me the problem is in the dash I don't even feel safe driving my car what if my air bags don't deploy? I will live with that the rest of my life and Chrysler should be held accountable for negligence. Just because my VIN number doesn't match at this time or the time frame they claim the defects were installed doesn't mean the part they installed isn't defective. I hope you all take this matter very seriously. This is a safety issue that could take or save lives.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Jul 012016

Takata recall - I never received any information regarding this recall. I am just now (July 2016) experiencing the airbag warning light coming on and a warning tone being emitted randomly while I'm in motion. I'm interested to know if I can still take my car to the dealership to have it worked on under N38 13V282?

- Huntingdon, TN, USA

Dec 012015

My car heating system only heat half of the car and you can smell antifreeze coming through the vents. The passenger from window has stop working, it will come down but want go up. And the two windows in the back is trying to stop working. I just got this car on 11/01/2015 with only 32,000 miles on it.

- Maple Hts, OH, USA

Jun 162016

While on the freeway in the rain, the windshield wipers stop in motion and stay in upward position against the windshield. Freeze up of wipers is intermittent. Wipers do not always respond to off position.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jun 032016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently, the RPM gauge increased from 0-4, and the speedometer gauge failed to display the actual speed. The failure recurred numerous times. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the battery was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 152016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V282000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. On a separate occasion, when the brakes were applied and the gear was placed into park, the vehicle accelerated through a wall. The air bags deployed. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and later towed to geico. The front end of the vehicle was replaced. The dealer diagnosed the brakes. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Ocean Side, CA, USA

Nov 082015

Dear sir/ madam: 11-08-15 a fire occurred at my house which was located at 5253 braidwood cv, on the above date, I parked my 2012 Chrysler 200 in the garage and went to bed. Approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour after retiring, I was awakened by a loud explosion and my neighbors beating on my front door to awaken me and my 21 year old grandson. He also was sleeping in another bedroom. When both of us attempted to escape from the house through the kitchen/garage entrance, we were met my heavy bellowing grey and black smoke that prevented our exit and almost overwhelmed us. Several months later, I am yet suffering from the shock and emotional trauma. Because of dealing with flashbacks, nightmares, intermittent waves of nervousness, deep sadness, feelings of grief/loss, periodic confusion, digestion issues, and numerous financial concerns, I am in professional counseling. I have been unable to write this letter until now. Even now, a friend is assisting me with completing this communication. This is the second contact I have had with your corporation. The first was the morning after the fire, when my son called on my behalf from his cell phone. He was informed that there was no recall of this particular Chrysler 200, however there were some known problems with the gas tank and ignition systems that were built between March and November of 2012. Please understand. I lost my house, 23 long years¿ worth of cherished belongings, and the car I recently purchased. I lost everything in the fire. I decided that, I would rather initially contact Chrysler directly. My hope is that Chrysler will understand the gravity of the situation and do the right thing without going through expensive attorneys. 901239.0809/email Lois madison!750&authkey=!aalipdbqwpwsze8&ithint=folder%2C

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 312016

Takata recall: There is a problem with the electronic throttle control light that causes the car to decelerate randomly, in combination with a ticking sound that comes from the air bag area of the glove box that is exacerbated by the ac and the heat being turned on. I feel that the car is unsafe to drive, although it says there is no open recall on these components. This happened several times to me on the expressway today.

- Southfield, MI, USA

May 222016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the headlights failed without warning. The contact also stated that the traction control, the cruise control and the ABS warning lights were illuminated. The contact also stated that there was a grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 052016

200 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. In addition, the vehicle was no longer operable. The vehicle was towed back to the contact's residence. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000. Updated 06/14/16 updated 06/16/16.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Feb 012016

I am an owner of a 2012 Chrysler 200 and on Feb. 1st while sitting in my driveway a fire started in the internal. I called Chrysler and I received a letter that they will not take responsibility for any manufacturing or assembly error. A week prior before the car caught on fire the heat would only work on the driver side. This vehicle is not safe and it is very disturbing that a company like Chrysler would not take responsibility for an unsafe vehicle.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Nov 122015

My cars A/C heater blend door actuator has gone out. Upon my research I see there are numerous Chrysler 200 owners with the same problem. It is my understanding GM recalled the same part from the same manufacturer. Shouldn't Chrysler recall the part as well? the problem is persistent in the part continually clicks, cold air running through the vents when the heater is on.

- Sneedville, TN, USA

Nov 172015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 10 mph and activating the right turn signal, the windshield wipers engaged automatically. The failure recurred every time the turn signals were used. In addition, the heater would blow hot air through the driver side vents and cold air through the passenger side vents. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the vehicle was not emitting heat and the defroster failed to defrost the windows. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the heater core and the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Webberville, MI, USA

Sep 262012

On April 26, 2012, I purchased a brand new 2012 Chrysler from an official Chrysler corporation dealership. Since then this car has been put in the shop approximately 30 times for from medium to major problems. The 1st major problem was 9/26/212 which was diagnosed as gear-rack and pinon. It has had two lifters(relative to the motor) because of loud tapping. Three heater cords; a couple of re-calls;transmissions leaks; internal engine damages; headlamps needed immediate replacements; washer fluid tank leaked and needed immediate replacement; the car horn failed to blow on demand; brakes needed immediate replacements; camshaft, rockers had to be replaced twice; heater cord experienced internal failure and had to be replaced; brake pads; brake light (dashboard) has been beeping on since 2013 and is still doing the same thing today; engine air filter had to be replaced; and a host of other vehicle problems that should not be happening on a brand spanking new 2012 vehicle!! please assist and advise.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Oct 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the heating system was activated and cold air emitted only from the passenger side vents. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Dec 262015

I own a 2012 Chrysler 200, the engine stops/fails about every two months while braking or while stopped. This is dangerous as it can stop anywhere and they might rear end the car or something. I have taken my car to the Chrysler dealership 4 different times with the same issue, the first time they changed the PCM. After about 2 months the car's engine stopped while braking or while at a stoplight. The 2nd and 3rd time I took the car they did not find anything wrong with the car and gave it to me after a couple of days. The 4th time when I took the car they said that it was the battery and they put in a new battery. Well about 2 days ago the car stopped again while at a stoplight. I have not taken the car to the dealership as they never find anything wrong with the vehicle. I am tired of them not finding what is wrong with the car. I believe that I speak for many Chrysler 200 owners when I say that an investigation needs to be done for the whole Chrysler group, especially to the 200, which have many complaints online and none one seems to find the solution. Please investigate this for the safety of the drivers. I am so sick and tired of the mopar mechanics not finding anything. I do not know if the issue is with the PCM, computer, or engine. Please investigate.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Nov 292015

Randomly shuts down while driving down the road, with no warning

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Apr 202015

Windshield wipers quit working. Only wipe on high. Took into dealer to repair, they replaced the wiper motor. Did not fix problem, they then ran codes to tell me it is the tipm. My extended warranty company said they will not cover, problem still not fixed.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA