2012 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 242012

200 4-cyl

I bought this car use with 27,000 mile on it. I have only had the car for 45 days or so. My car is jumping forward when I come to a stop. At first the lurching was very faint now at 31,000 miles the lurching is more pronounced. I took the car to the dealership prior to the warranty ending and they acted like they where unaware of the issue/or didn't understand the issue. Any way I am beginning to feel unsafe since it is happening more. The car lurched forward during a sudden stop one time, not good.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 262012

200

First time car wouldn't start. Dealership charged battery and did software update. Second time car wouldn't start they replaced battery. Third time car wouldn't start battery completely drained they said it was a glove box switch. Fourth time car wouldn't start they said it was the usb cable keeping the radio powered on all the time. Same Chrysler dealership worked on it all four times. Brand new car bought August of 2012. All four times have been in less than two months! this car is not safe. Chrysler is not doing the right thing by their customers! any help would be appreciated. In the usa we should not have to put up with being ripped off like this.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Sep 282012

200 4-cyl

The first time this incident occurred I was preparing to make a left turn off of a busy road. I had just purchased the car and not really thinking something was wrong with my vehicle when the engine stalled. This incident has occurred very often since September of 2012. I have taken my vehicle to the dealership three times for the car stalling and cutting off during low speeds. I'm suppose to take it back again tomorrow but I'm very disappointed to know by reading other complaints the problem will not be fixed. It's very sad someone or multiple people have to die before anything can be done about these cars. I have four kids and I am terrified for them to ride in the car with me. These cars are definitely not safe to be on the highway! someone please offer some help!!!

- Georgetown, SC, USA

Nov 212012

200 6-cyl

Drove approximately 0.5 miles when the engine started to kick back, drove another 0.5 miles and as I was parking the car the steering wheel locked up. Put the car into park and turned off the engine. The car would no longer start as the engine would rev right up until the engine should flip over but the car just shuts down at that point. Waiting for a tow at this point to the nearest dealership.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Oct 182012

200 6-cyl

Driving vehicle to investigate symptoms and during regular casual driving the car stalled, hydraulic brakes went and steering locked while slowing through a school zone. I'm a certified tech with H-D, kawasaki, BMW, and have never had a service manager deny a request that involved serious systems like this until today. That is why I'm filing this complaint on your site, I was told by the S.M. that they couldn't get my 29 day old 200 in before next week Monday! this is not a safe car, anyone reading this please do not buy this car!!!! mdm.

- Converse, TX, USA

Oct 172012

200 6-cyl

I was driving my new Chrysler 200 3.6L approximately 25-30 mph pressed the gas pedal and had no response. Engine was dead, the steering locked-up causing the vehicle to pull right running off the road. Fortunately, my two children and myself were not harmed. I am extremely disappointed/angry that my children were put into this situation. I believe this is a an unsafe vehicle and investigation should take place.

- Converse, TX, USA

Apr 022012

200 6-cyl

When going into a stop or a slow down, the engine stalls; this is now the 3rd time chrsyler is looking into it. Car is a 2012 Chrysler convertible S purchased in Feb of 2012 w/ 100 miles. 1st. Happened at ~5K 2nd happened at ~7K in July 18,2012 3rd happened at ~12K Oct 8th, 2012 this last time the car died on my 4 times in 5 minutes. Dealer was able to reproduce the error. They are saying it is caused by a asd(V) circuit in which the relay is broken. 1st time they reprogrammed the computer. 2nd time they replaced the part containing the relay. 3rd it is the relay again. It is a major safety concern as I almost got rear ended by a van this time as I was making a legal U-turn.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 132012

200 4-cyl

This car was bought for advertised miles per gallon (mpg) was 31mpg, but on the highway it is only getting about 15mpg. This car is either defective or Chrysler has embarked on major false advertising or fraud campaign in which millions of people bought this car thinking they would get 31mpg, but are paying twice as much in gas instead of saving money. If you think you are getting 31mpg on highway, but only get 15mpg, that means you run out of gas on the highway and an accident can occur either while the car is slowing down in the lane, or after it is pushed into shoulder, which is still dangerous. There are hundreds of reviews on the internet with same problem - not getting gas mileage. Please force Chrysler to take back these cars because it is either false advertising and consumer fraud for advertising 31mpg, or defective for failing to be efficient with gas mileage since they are not getting the performance these cars were supposedly manufactured & designed for. There are also unknown problems with transmission and engine. I'm taking car to dealership today to investigate/service, but I was told by the sales manager, they would not take the car back and give me a new car. It has all these problems, costing me money and possible injury due to the prospect of running out of gas so frequently! the gas tank size is 16.9 gallons, so at 31mpg, I should get close to 523 miles, but we only get about 250! we fill up gas tank every week, after only driving 36 miles roundtrip to/from work, mostly on highway. I believe we are being defrauded by being sold defective cars that do not perform as advertised, and which can cause injury as a result. I shouldnt be stuck with this car, paying excessive gas prices due to constantly refilling a gas tank, because this car burns up all the gas so fast! is it a defect or consumer fraud? I want this car recalled, and I want my money back!

- Upper Chichester, PA, USA

Jun 042012

200 4-cyl

The car will almost stall, randomly, when stopped at a stop sign or light. It has now started to act like it is going to stall when we start it. The car hesitates, randomly, when you go to accelerate. This has happened to us many times. Entering the interstate it acts like it stumbles before it will respond. We have pulled out onto a busy street where acceleration is a necessity and the car hesitates and almost caused an accident. Most recently, switching lanes on the interstate we lifted our foot off accl. To allow a car to pass us when we went to accelerate again the car would not respond, a car came up on us in our lane and almost rear ended us. (this was on the way to the dealership for the problem) the dealer has been unable to duplicate the issue and nothing was recorded on the computer. Many complaints about this issue on Chrysler 200 forums. We have had a blk box installed and no feed back from dealer was provided even when requested in writing and verbally. We have an attorney, Chrysler has put a low value on the complaint and we are not going to settle case at this time. I hope we do not have an accident while collecting data!

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Sep 022012

200

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph in a parking lot, the engine stalled. The contact was unaware whether a warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. The engine restarted and resumed as normal. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an open investigation under NHTSA action number PE12016 (engine), which pertained to the 2011 model year vehicles equipped with 3.6L engine. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 1,150.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 282012

200 6-cyl

Pulled off interstate after driving for 2 hrs. Into parking lot. Started to pull into parking space and everything thing locked up. No steering, no breaks, everything died except lights on dash. Car was driving fine with no indication of problem. I am told that my car does not fit into the recall for engine failure for this model. Concern with safety as if I had been on interstate going 70mph this would have caused a bad accident.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 252012

200 4-cyl

Car is a 2012 model, purchased three days ago with only 10 miles on it. Today it stalled as it was idling at red light. It stalled as I was making a right hand turn. It stalled as I was turning left into my garage to park. I called my salesman, he claims he knows nothing about it and referred me to the manager. He also claims he has never heard of why this would happen. Yet I find out from a friend to search the internet. I do a search and see many articles from today and over the weekend on this. So, how does a dealer not know about this before selling me the car? concerned about my kids being in the car with me.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Nov 182011

200 6-cyl

Car continues to have a speed impediment; it hesitates or stalls at 10, 20, 30, and 40 mph increments and also at various times with acceleration from a low speed to a higher speed such as entering a highway from an "on ramp". Chrysler tells the owner to continue to just drive it and the computer will adapt to the car. Car stalls, hesitates or maybe experiences a seizure. In shop for more than 4 times with no resolution. Think this needs to be investigated as a safety recall. Dealer service man was asked if there was a recall and this question was met with an answer that there have been no recalls.

- Zionsville , IN, USA

May 162011

200

This car was bought new with approx 300 miles brought from a dealer's inventory in kokomo, in to one in northern Kentucky, where it was bought 11 may,2012..it had been on the previous dealer's lot, as part of inventory, I believe since Sep,2011. In total it has stalled while stopped at a light 2 separate times..twice it has either quit while slowing or downshifted causing quite a violent throw forward of persons in their seats while at a relatively slow speed coming to a stop...in the old days it would be the jerk you get while popping a clutch to get a car started with a bad battery.. the third time it stalled was backing out of our driveway...we are now approaching 1000 total miles on the car with less than a month of ownership...made first visit to a dealer service 30 May 2012, ..PCM code was updated, but could not duplicate problem..have had one jerky downshift since then..this has been the recurring theme of many of these instances written up on blogs concerning this model over last 2 years.. side note..this car has remote start capability on the key fob..I noticed a recall last year for some vehicles where they noticed the circuit board inside a fob had vibrated loose, and somehow was sending signals to some component in the car which was causing it to stop...ie. No codes associated with a malfunction like that...might be something to look at too. Twice also, the hint of an electrical smell has been detected...same smell I experienced when the PCM on my 1993 Ford van cooked itself a couple years ago..at first I wrote it off as a new car thing..but combine that with present and past experiences...well, the connection may not be coincidental.

- West Chester, OH, USA