2012 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Jun 212016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the electronic throttle control light illuminated. The vehicle slowed to 20 mph and went into limp mode. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the electronic throttle control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,200. Udated 07/26/16.....updated 08/01/16

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jun 032016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently, the RPM gauge increased from 0-4, and the speedometer gauge failed to display the actual speed. The failure recurred numerous times. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the battery was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 122016

I was merging on I-271S when suddenly check engine light came on and my car came to a complete stop (the engine was still running). I was not able to accelerate so I slowly maneuvered my car onto the shoulder. I turned off the car and re-started, but I couldn't still accelerate. I had the car towed 25 miles to a trusted mechanic. The next day I was told my him that the crankshaft position sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. I believe that the sensor issue is serious. Without warning my car came to a sudden stop on major highway. By sheer luck I wasn't rear-ended and I didn't lose my life, or worse, my kids.

- Parma, OH, USA

Apr 222016

When driving my vehicle I had three lights to come on which resulted in having to take my car to have a diganostic test, the out come was the throttle position censor in which I have never had any problems before from any of my Chrysler vehicle and the repairman said this is a dealer defect. I am very disappointed that I am going through and ordeal since I have owned many chrylsers with no problem.

- Bedford, OH, USA

Feb 292016

"takata rcall" my air bag light is on in the dash board my car was already at the dealership for another issue the agent informed me the airbag modular has failed I informed the agent there is a recall for the tipm. A defective tipm can cause air bags not to inflate and other major issues. The dealer shi want to charge me $429 to fix

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 022015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift gear without warning. The contact mentioned that sometimes the shift lever would become stuck to the first gear and the vehicle failed to accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power control module and valve body were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,500.

- Conway, SC, USA

Nov 112003

Transmission goes in to limp mode, does not go over 30 miles jerking speeding up and slowing down, wont start and check engine light comes on goes off

- Reidsville, NC, USA

Apr 222015

Stopped at a red light, up until then car was driving fine, made a left turn and the 200 loss power and stalled out. The etc light and traction control light came on out the corner of my eye, next thing I know I was plowed into by another car. After doing more research, I have seen this problem come up time after time. The electronic throttle actually has plastic gears, plastic gears that control the opening of the throttle valve im sure those teeth will wear out on nearly every car and cause problems.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 092014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle hesitated and stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted, but the failure recurred. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 182013

The contact owns 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 052014

200 4-cyl

Today, while on the interstate traveling at 60mph, attempted to accelerate and car would not accelerate. Could hear the engine trying to accelerate but the car kept slowing down. Did not see any lights (engine) light up on the dash to indicate a problem. Pulled into emergency lane, stopped and turned engine off; restarted car and it has not occurred again today.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Feb 142014

Entering freeway was accelerating, merged into a lane and took foot off of the accelerator and the car rpms kept climbing and speed kept increasing within 10 seconds it stops and will respond normally usually happens when there is a quick attempt to accelerate.

- Kimball, MI, USA

Feb 072012

200 6-cyl

When purchased this car, noticed that it pulled severly to the left, spoke to dealer ship and they stated that it was normal for front wheel drives to do so. So I continued to drive this car but always having to be on alert when driving on highway if car was going to jerk off road. This car handles horrible! I do not feel safe in this vehicle and do not feel if any control was lost, that I would be able to regain control due to this. The dealership has denied that I have ever brought this up, but when my brakes started squealing around $7000 mile I then brought it up again and they told me I needed a front end alignment and new brakes! ok I just bought the car... I told them no, how could that be. Well since then my car has had to have the cylander replaced and they have addressed the jerking with a front end alignment which by the way did not do anything. It still is hard to control and could only do 30 mile an hr in snow before it would loose control. I have more complaints and have addressed Chrysler to no avail. They just tell me its the make of the car and that my brakes squealing are because asbestos is no longer in brakes. I told them that I was not born yesterday and have driven more cars than this and never have had this problem. They offered me an extended warrenty and stated that was all anyone could do. I am a very unhappy customer and becasue I am in a lease I can not get out of this car. Only when it crashes will anyone maybe do anything about this. I am seeking the state attorney in Idaho to see if they can help resolve this issue.

- Caldwell, ID, USA

Sep 102013

In traffic, steering wheel tightened up and all interior lights were off. Tried to brake but no response, shifted into neutral restarted the car and it turned back on. Seemed to mess up the shifter a little in the process, as well as almost hitting the car in front of me. Probably going about 10-15 mph, and I was lucky to throw the car in neutral and restart otherwise I would of floated into an accident.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Oct 302012

200 4-cyl

2.4 liter 2011 Chrysler 200. When slowing then accelerating in left turn lanes and turn abouts, the 200 will often stall for a second or two, then proceed. Seems to especially happen when attempting to increase speed quickly to enter traffic. The engine will stall and become unresponsive for a second or two before responding again. The entire process is that I brake and slow for the turn or to enter a round about, when there is an opening, I accelerate, the 200 will speed up as expected, then the engine will suddenly stall and become unresponsive for 1-2 seconds, then resume as normal. This has been unsettling a couple of times. This seems to occur when turning and accelerating. I do not have any issues when accelerating in a straight line. The second speed issue is that the 200 is slow to stop revving when accelerating. On several occasions upon acceleration, when I lifted my foot off of the accelerator, the engine kept revving for a couple of seconds and the car kept speeding up. This has not caused any safety issues. It only happens when I accelerate quickly. When driving normal, this issue does not occur.

- Dryden, MI, USA

Sep 112012

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stopped responding to acceleration attempts. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the cause of the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 13,656.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Oct 172012

200 6-cyl

I was driving my new Chrysler 200 3.6L approximately 25-30 mph pressed the gas pedal and had no response. Engine was dead, the steering locked-up causing the vehicle to pull right running off the road. Fortunately, my two children and myself were not harmed. I am extremely disappointed/angry that my children were put into this situation. I believe this is a an unsafe vehicle and investigation should take place.

- Converse, TX, USA

Jun 042012

200 4-cyl

The car will almost stall, randomly, when stopped at a stop sign or light. It has now started to act like it is going to stall when we start it. The car hesitates, randomly, when you go to accelerate. This has happened to us many times. Entering the interstate it acts like it stumbles before it will respond. We have pulled out onto a busy street where acceleration is a necessity and the car hesitates and almost caused an accident. Most recently, switching lanes on the interstate we lifted our foot off accl. To allow a car to pass us when we went to accelerate again the car would not respond, a car came up on us in our lane and almost rear ended us. (this was on the way to the dealership for the problem) the dealer has been unable to duplicate the issue and nothing was recorded on the computer. Many complaints about this issue on Chrysler 200 forums. We have had a blk box installed and no feed back from dealer was provided even when requested in writing and verbally. We have an attorney, Chrysler has put a low value on the complaint and we are not going to settle case at this time. I hope we do not have an accident while collecting data!

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Jul 092012

200 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated when driving, decelerating, or parking as well as with the cruise control was set. The failure was experienced several times. The brake was depressed with force to be able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer performed a diagnostic but was unable to locate a failure code. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 8,000. Updated 08/28/12 the consumer stated the vehicle misfires, uses large amounts of gas, and the transmission is hard to shift at times. Updated 09/04/2012

- Pendleton , IN, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving approximately 8 mph down a hill in first gear, the rpms increased to approximately 4500 and the vehicle accelerated on its own to approximately 35 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal with excessive force and was able to stop the vehicle by placing it in neutral. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- Longmont, CO, USA