2012 Chrysler 200 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 152015

Car dies for no apparent reason and during any type driving. Of course, when motor dies power steering is lost. Extremely dangerous in the heavy austin traffic that I drive in. May just shut down on a major overpass with no where to go. This vehicle puts my life and families life in danger. This shut down can happen at 10 mph or at 60 mph or above. I try to bypass major highways in austin even though it may be several miles out of the way, and so far have been able to avoid any problems. It seems ridiculous to have to travel like this. My car engine is a 2.4L and I know there has been a recall on Chrysler's 3.6 L engine in the 200, but I believe this engine needs to also be recalled

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Nov 062015

Submitted a complaint where I inadvertently listed my vehicle as a 2015 Chrysler 200. My car is a 2012 Chrysler 200. Could you change my previous complaint of this same date to reflect a 2012 Chrysler 200.

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Jul 102015

Van horn Chrysler and Dodge in Plymouth wi. Sold me a vehicle that was in a major front end accident. When they sold me the air the airbag was not attached. The steering was pulling to the right. The suspension was severely damage, it was so severe that when I took the car to Chrysler, I spend money there to get the problems repaired. Because van horn wouldn't pay for the repairs. After Chrysler couldn't make the repairs, because the car had been in a major accident from the previous owner. Chrysler referred me to thei body shop, where I was out of pocket for another additional repair. I also forward this information to Chrysler customer assistant 1-888-992-1997. My case number there is 277741034.they (Chrysler customer assistant) said the car should have never been sold. They informed roy edwards van horn manger to get in touch with me to make a settle. Which he hasn't as to 10/14/205. Tom boweo was the person that I spoke with at milosch's palace collision center, lake orion mi. (248)276-6653. The car is registered to billy turney. My email address is My phone number is (414)445-8281. My cell number is (414) 793-6615

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 012015

The steering column makes loud "popping" noises at low speeds and when turning the vehicle. It sounds like the steering column is going to snap. In addition, I had to have all of my lifters replaced in the engine due to a loud ticking noise coming from under the hood. Lastly, the leather material is coming off of all of the doors in the vehicle, and the light for the emergency brake stays on even when the brake is not engaged. I despise driving the car and will never buy another Chrysler.

- Clinton, SC, USA

Jul 062015

Power steering or steering assist does not always work

- Stone Ridge, NY, USA

Aug 162015

While driving, the car began to rapidly lose functionality while warning lights were appearing on the dashboard until it abruptly shut down while driving in traffic. The time from no warning lights to complete loss of functionality was approximately 10-15 seconds. The shut down included an abrupt loss of power steering and braking capabilities while driving on a busy street at night. I was able to quickly compensate for the loss of power steering and braking and stop the vehicle while avoiding a crash, but just barely. Thankfully, I broke down next to two police officers who helped push my vehicle onto the side of the road. These officers may be able to attest to the fact that no noises or abnormal operation of the vehicle was apparent before the abrupt shut-off while driving. Attempts to restart the vehicle involved no clicking or the engine attempting to turn over. The vehicle is currently being repaired, but the preliminary diagnosis is one of a faulty alternator. I will attempt to retain the faulty alternator from the repair center. I had only started the car 2-3 minutes before the incident and there were no apparent electrical issues (engine struggling to start, lights dimming, etc.) while starting the car or during operation.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Mar 252015

Clunking popping in frontend you can feel it in steering wheel. Car was under warranty when this started dealership couldn't duplicate the problem it continues to get louder and many people with this car have this same problem.

- Lima, OH, USA

Apr 142014

This is frustrating. I've been to two dealerships complaining about the rattling steering column. Both dealerships state that they could not find the problem. Went to brakemasters for an oil change and the mechanic said the rattling is coming from the steering column. Both times at the dealerships the vehicle was still under warranty. I'm over the 3 year mark now and no warranty. What can be done?

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 012015

After driving for 15 or 20 minutes or more, I can hear and feel in the steering wheel a clunking noise/sound under the hood. There is no pattern to it. It happens either on a straight line or by turning. The banging rate won't increase/decrease if I speed up/down. If I turn on the ac before the clunking noise/sound starts, it will commence to make the noise/sound before the 15 or 20 minutes of driving. It is driving me crazy (no pun intended). It sounds like something is completely loose and is going to fall at any moment. My safety and those riding with me are not secured in this car. The internet is full of people with this same problem for this particular car and there is not one solid solution for it. Could anyone help us and make Chrysler get more serious with this problem/solution? regards.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 012014

The steering wheel vibrates and there is a clunking noise made that sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel column when driving. It occurs at any speed. It feels like the steering column is loose to a point.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Awful popping noise to front end when driving. Worsens over time. Had to shop 4 times. They now admit to a problem with tie rods at manufacture. Dealership is offering to fix with a $100 co-pay since it is now out of warranty mileage. I am working with Chrysler to get the rest covered since it is an unresolved warranty issue.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Jun 072014

200 4-cyl

A clicking noise in steering wheel while driving no matter how fast you are going. Also, a knocking noise when driving over bumps. Sometimes, the car does not pick up speed for a while when driving up a hill.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Mar 062014

After driving for about 15 min. You can start hearing a clunking noise coming from the left side, and you can feel it in the steering wheel. Don't know if its steering or suspension, but I get eerie feeling the car may lock up.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jul 162014

After putting on 4 new tires and new front brakes, we noticed an issue with the steering column clunking, and feeling very loose. After three trips to the service counter at a Chrysler dealership, (you would think that they would know what the problem was), I have figured out the issue thanks to youtube. Apparently, I there are many others having the same issue. And, I called Chrysler directly, and the girl that I spoke with stated that the part had been recalled on other Chrysler products, but not on my car. This part needs to be recalled. You feel like you are driving down the road, and the car is falling a part. You feel like parts could fly off at any time. Very disappointing! and, just out of warranty. Please view this website to understand the issue. It explains it in depth. Https://

- Hemlock, NY, USA

Jul 292014

2012 Chrysler 200 shut off while driving 45 mph down the hwy with 2 children in the car. I lost power steering and my brakes. Luckily, I made it to the side of the road. It restarted once I turned the key to off first, but shut off on me a second time while idling a few minutes later. I have not driven it since.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Jun 252014

200 6-cyl

My 2012 Chrysler 200 S stalled on a major highway. After coming to a complete stop due to traffic the vehicle would not accelerate, the steering locked up and then it shut off. There were no malfunction lights or any other type of warning called Chrysler and they said that there are no recalls for this despite there being a number of complaints reported.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Feb 222014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph in rainy weather, the rear end of the vehicle began to skid. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where both rear tires were replaced. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was driven on wet road surfaces at any given speed. The vehicle was also taken to an authorized dealer where a rear end wheel alignment was performed and the tow was replaced. The failure persisted and the vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Selah, WA, USA

Mar 072013

Purchased this vehicle new off the lot April 2012.this issue I currently have became an issue for me in Feb 2014 with the winter weather I entered freeway tried to gain speed once speedometer hit 50ish noticed the car began to brake loose and sway side to side really quick and scary, immediately slowed down sensation went away could not drive above 40mph, while all traffic around me on the freeway were traveling at a much greater speeds I figured it was just by chance I hit an ice patch.I attempted to speed up and once hit 45mph the side to side sway once again was present exited the freeway and do not travel above 40 in any wet, snow, icy weather but regardless of speed if I hit anything slick I sway, the low speeds just help me maintain control of the husband thought I must just need a winter tire, (there are a set of 4 Goodyear Eagle on it presently) until he drove it and determined there was definitely a serious issue jacked it up to reveal that it was the inner tie rods completely wiped out contributing to the sway.contacted the dealership to resolve it(mind you the mileage was now at 37050) was told they would do an inspection for $85 and would call Chrysler to see if they would honor a repair since it is out of warranty however no guarantee that the repairs would be covered non the less a front end alignment.I could not leave my car for 3 days for diagnosis nor afford 85$ that would not even go towards the repair.I called Chrysler only to be told they can not guarantee anything nor would Chrysler consider anything until I have an inspection done that there are no discounts no courtesy inspection to be had.bought a new car to avoid issues such as these.

- Kimball, MI, USA

Dec 122013

200 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph in the snow, the vehicle would sway to the left and right. The contact stated that he decelerated and the swaying stopped. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000... updated 03/24/14

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 242013

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while parked, she noticed an abnormal grinding sound. The contact inspected the engine compartment and noticed that the power steering fluid was low. The contact added power steering fluid however, the following day the contact noticed the power steering fluid was low once again. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,100.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA