2013 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chrysler 200:

2013 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 102016

My husband purchased this vehicle for me less than six months ago, I went to put gas in it on Saturday 09/10, got out and noticed a sweet burning smell, thought it was someone else's vehicle. I went to a store right across the street got out and noticed the same smell. I then realized it was my vehicle and proceeded to go home(which is a short distance), the temp light came on, the continuous ringing started(as if I wasn't wearing my seatbelt), other lights proceeded to come on. When I turned into my subdivision, the car began smoking. As I turned on my street, it didn't want to pull at all. I managed to get it into the dealership on Monday, but just got a call today and was told the head gaskets blew, and it will be $3000 to repair. I've read similar story's on this site from other 2013 Chrysler 200 owners, and am quite bothered, but I'm also wondering what's being done to rectify this before someone gets injured or killed?

- Covington, GA, USA

Aug 022016

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle temperature gauge indicated that the vehicle as overheating. In addition, the seat belt warning light illuminated continuously however, the seat belt was fastened. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the head gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired but the technician informed the contact that there was also a water pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Waddy, KY, USA

Mar 182016

200 4-cyl

Ok.. so let me vent here. I first bought my car this year. (March) and they let me take my car for a night to see if I would like the car. They had a 2013 Chrysler 200 LX 2.4cyl. Or a 2014 Chrysler 200 limited 3.6 V6 the 2013 had 37K the 2014 had 21K. I wanted the 2014 but when they asked about it. It was already sold... I didn't know that. So I went for the '13 LX. Drove it off the lot for a test drive. Drove just fine. Got back to the dealer. Signed a paper and left with it from the dealer for the night. Well on my way home. I thought would go out of my way a little bit for a little extra drive. (keep in mind I had a full tank from the dealer) lol! something I requested. Because when I test drove it. It was on E. and gas light was on. But back to the point. While going out of my way. I stopped to get pizza. And left my car running. All lights were on. I'm sitting inside waiting for my pizza. Since I called it in before hand. Got my pizza. Come out to my car. And I stopped in my tracks. And thought. Hmm. I could have swore I left my car running. Like wtf. And my headlights and everything was still on! and then I thought. Oh sh*t... I got into my car. Everything is on. Ac (which of course wasn't cold air since engine wasn't running) and all my lights were on. And I knew as soon as I got into my car and the RPM's are on 0 and everything is still on. I sat there for a minute. In shock and disappointment. Turned my key back. And turned it back and it fired right up. So I was upset but didn't think much of it. Called my dealer and they told me they would take care of it. Took it in and they gave me a loaner while they "fixed" it. Got it back and didn't happen after that. Now it just started again today. Bout a month worth's of time... I'm sick of this. My car only has 45K now. And I got it with 37K... taking my car in once again. This is going to kill somebody... stay safe.

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Sep 222015

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 200. While driving 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate and the rpms increased. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who repaired the vehicle under an unknown recall; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,129.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Jun 032016

I have to replace the throttle body, air filter& PCV valve at 74,516 miles. Is this typical with this type of vehicle. The cost is $823.19 and not under warranty.

- Suitland, MD, USA

Dec 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 200. The contact started the vehicle and it jerked. The vehicle was driven and it was hesitant to accelerate. The failure occurred fifteen times. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the pressure in the catalyst was causing the transmission fluid to get dirty and causing the transmission not to shift out of gear. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Feb 152016

While operating vehicle at normal speeds on streets and highways, the electronic stability control and check engine lights engage on the dash indicating a malfunction of the electronic stability control at 23,000 miles. Vehicle become sluggish in drivetrain performance.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Dec 242014

The engine don't have the power. I have to put my foot on the accelerator really hard for it to get the power... it's loud it doesn't run smooth. I was never satisfied with the way it runs... and now that I've seen the video of what could happen I'm afraid of it.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 022015

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle slowed down to 10 mph and the engine stalled. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the PCM map sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,298.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Aug 142015

I purchased a used Chrysler 200 touring 2014, on 2/24/2015. The year make of the vehical is 2014 on the inside sticker, but the model # of the engine is 2013. The vehical was parked in the garage as, I turned the key to start the car the car engine began to make a knock, clunking sound and it hesitated to start. The engine sounded like it was about to break, or engine damage had occured. This happened on two occations within 6 months. In more than 5 occations driving on the freeway to speed up, or to change lanes the vechical accelerating is stuck and keeps acceleratimg in an upward rhythem. In addition, there is no control of the gas pedal during time the vehical is accelerating. I brought the car in to be checked at Honda where I purchased the vehical, Honda this day had the Chrysler dealership do a diagnostic test on my Chrysler touring 200, 2013 model. I was told that nothing was found wrong with the vehical, and no additional service needed. I have been doing research with reading all the complaints and recalls for the Chrysler 200 touring 2013. I am shocked that they had not been more courteous, or helpful about the potential risk, and problems descriptions of the Chrysler touring 200 2013. I was turned away just like all the other customers, but what if my car stalls on the freeway, than what? my car is a potential danger and I cannot afford to buy another car. I fear I will be a victum of the "lemon law."

- Oak Hills, CA, USA

Aug 152015

My husband was driving in the fast lane on the expressway with out 3 grandchildren in the car and the engine just shut off...they all could have been killed had he not manage to coast the vehicle onto the side of the road...took a trip to take my granddaughter to college 2 hours away and the engine again shut off while driving...because of this malfunction I have to stop driving my car and this is outrageous because I am afraid something will happen to my family if we continue driving. This has happened to us at least 5 times and we have sit for at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before the car starts again.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 142015

On approximately 7/14/15, upon accelerating from a stopped position, my Chrysler 200 hesitated on take off. I had to take my foot off the gas pedal and slowly try accelerating again, still with hesitation, but finally taking off. There was slight hesitation as my vehicle was accelerating, then the fuel seemed to catch up. This has occurred several times randomly since 7/14/15. I took my car to the dealership on 7/23/15 as it is still under manufacturers warranty, explained the situation, and they said they found no problems, that "no codes" showed up on the computer. This problem appears to effect the engine, fuel/propulsion system and speed control. I was very concerned each time this happened of being involved in a car accident. I will continue to be concerned until this problems is resolved. I intend to take it back to the dealership for further investigation into this problem.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jul 012015

We filed a complaint for this issue previously and the same problem has occurred again. Will take to dealer when they open tomorrow to have diagnosed. Called Chrysler and spoke to paul, who stated that we need to call back after the dealer has a chance to look at the issue. Chrysler # 1-800-247-9753 previous complaint listed below: Date complaint filed: 07/28/2013 component(s): Power train date of incident: 07/26/2013 NHTSA id number: 10532198 all products associated with this complaint expand details close 0 associated documents crash:no fire:no number of injuries:0 number of deaths:0 manufacturer: Chrysler (fca us llc) vehicle identification no. (VIN): 1C3ccbbbxdn... summary: I started the 2013 Chrysler 200 and shifted the transmission into "drive". with my foot still on the brake pedal, I checked the mileage on our new car and it read 139 miles. I could feel the transmission engage then I felt what seemed to be a second engagement before I took my foot off the brake. As soon as I began driving I noticed the vehicle was not shifting out of first (1st) gear. I stopped the car and shifted through park, neutral and manual in an attempt to free up the transmission but when I started driving again it still would not transition out of first (1st) gear even when put in the manual shift mode. I drove it directly to the dealer without turning off the vehicle, and after a test drive they confirmed that it was not shifting but stated they could not find a code indicating any problem. They restarted the vehicle and it began to function normally again. The dealer said there was nothing they could do, and to bring it back if it happened again. Updated 10/01/15

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Mar 022015

2013 Chrysler 200. Consumer writes in regards to loud noise coming from brakes, only when backing up. The consumer also stated while driving 50 mph, the vehicle would slow down, as if it were going to stop. The dealer informed the consumer, it sounded as though it was a transmission problem.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Oct 282014

On October 28th, 2014 I dropped my car off at the dealership for repair with complaints of electrical issues. The alarm was performing with unpredictable tendencies and was not disarming in order to enter the car. After driving a rental for two weeks that came out of my pocket the dealership claimed that they could not duplicate the problem in order to fix it.I was forced to take the car back knowing that the problem was not fixed.the random electrical problems progressed and the car ignition began having serious issues. Once the key was turned to ┐┐off ┐┐ the car would restart and the indicator light would say ┐┐key in ignition┐Ł although the key had been removed from the ignition. I would have to turn and hold the key to the ┐┐on┐Ł position for several seconds before the car would turn over. On December 15th, 2014 I attempted to put the key into the ignition and the engine did not turn over at all.I removed the key from the ignition and the engine began to make the sounds as if it was going to turn over at least 10 times while the key was out of the ignition. On January 15th, 2015 I received a call from the service rep at the dealership. He said that he was advised by my case manager at Chrysler customer care to call and tell me that I had to come and pick up my car although the problem had not been resolved. The service rep said that they had replaced the tipm (totally integrated power module), the battery, and the clock that flickers yet the electrical issues repeated even after the replacement of the tipm. He continued to say that the Chrysler engineers did not know how to fix the problem. This car is still within the formal lemon law rights period Łand I am asking Chrysler for appropriate action in a timely manner.

- Aventura, FL, USA

Jan 072015

200 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway leaving work, I got up to roughly 55mph when my car just shut off while driving down the road. I was told by the dealership that the alternator failed without warning. They can not give me an explanation as to why a vehicle that is less than 2 years old and less than 30K miles suddenly stopped without warning. There is currently a recall issued by Chrysler for this exact issue but my vehicle is not one of the ones covered under the recall according to Chrysler. No check engine or check battery lights prior to the incident. At the time of incident nearly every light on my dash lit up and the vehicle just shut off, the speedometer went from 55 to 0 and I was luckily able to coast off of the highway without incident since I had just gotten on and was getting up to speed I had not left the right lane yet. Had I been anywhere else on the highway this incident could have easily led to serious injury or death. I have spoken with the dealership and they claimed there is nothing they can do for me, I have also spoken with a lemon law attorney and was informed that since it did not end in serious injury or death that it must happen again before they can help me. I do not feel safe putting my wife or infant child in to a vehicle that just shut off at a speed of 55mph.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jul 302014

I was driving and all of a sudden I came to a red light and the engine went to shaking really bad and it cut off then the engine light came on it blinked a couple of time so I went to park it the next morning had it put on a machine it read cylinder 2 misfire so I took it to Chrysler dealership where they told me it just needed an software update which I clearly explained what the machine was reading from the code from the engine light now the car completely shut off and didn't not crank up keep trying heard a popping noise like something got caught in the fan and gasoline was spilling from the rear of the car 13 Chrysler 200.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jul 212013

Bought my 2013 Chrysler 200 brand new from rameys had 50 miles on the odometer when we purchased it on May 27,2013, we have had issues w/ the car acting up going up hills & in level areas on the 4 lanes even sometimes when you stop at a red light it acts like it wants to stall and quit.I took it to the auto dealership after I called & complained they rode the car claimed nothing wrong w/ it, at times it would be worse than others, ended up taking this car for two appts. & a mile down the road it happened again majorly so my husband turned around went back to the dealership& ask for a mechanic to ride with us, he rode w/ my husband it acted up& the mechanic said we put it on computer, nothing showed up he said, well what happens if it quits on me& my children(ages 4 and 8 at the time)and someone hits& kills us he said leave your air condition down low its probably affecting the power on the engine& I said its the middle of summer its hot& there's no way I can ride around w/ the windows down w/ no air conditioner w/ two small children and he said there was nothing he could do because it wasn't showing up on computer, he told us that we needed to keep a notebook of everytime it acted up& have whoever was w/us to sign& date it so we have I found a recall on this car& ask the dealership about it said it had nothing to do w/ my car that my car was made after the recall came along he said the car was made in Jan.2013 so it didn't affect still having issues w/ this as we speak, seems as if you turn the air conditioner on it gets worse, but acts up going up smalls hills on the 4 lane(jerking, and scares me its going to stall out.we have been concerned& still are concerned about this issue w/ the way the car acts.we have considered trading it in recently for something else due to the fact we cant get the problem resolved nor can anyone tell us whats going on w/ the car.

- Pilgrims Knob, VA, USA

Aug 042014

200 6-cyl

We drive a 2013 Chrysler 200, 3.6L V6. We have 12,500 miles on the car. This month we are experiencing a stalling problem at slow speeds when getting ready to stop. I took the car on the highway to see if the problem existed at high speeds. I set the cruise control and it died two times in ten minutes. The car started back up with no problems. I checked on line to see if there were any recalls on my 200. There is an NHTSA campaign number 13V043000 (Feb 06,2013) that is categorized as fuel system, gasoline. This may be the issue but the Chrysler dealer did not acknowledge this as a recall for my vehicle. This recall is for a gas tank that has a broken control valve in the fuel tank assembly. I think that my problem with the car could be one that was discovered two years ago on 2011 Chrysler 200 with 3.6L V6 engines. My car has shut off when idling or coming to a stop without a warning sign and no dash indicator light. I turned the key to off and restarted the engine. It started right away and I believe that it let me start it while it was still in drive. My car has stalled (4) times in the last week. The NHTSA opened an investigation into stalling problems on June 22, 2012. It covered an estimated 87,288 vehicles. Chrysler announced they had identified a powertrain control module (PCM) defect in their 3.6L engines. The PCM was initiating a purge monitor check while the engine was at idle or slowing down. The purge resulted in an "overly rich vapor condition that caused the engine to stall". Chrysler developed a software patch which reprograms the PCM. The patch was released as part of a "customer satisfaction program" in September 2012. The NHTSA closed the investigation and did not force Chrysler to issue a recall because Chrysler classified the problem as "low risk".

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 242014

200 4-cyl

While traveling on interstate 75 at 60 mph, the engine suddenly stopped - no warning. The car was still in drive. The engine turned off without any warning and I had to drift to the side of the road and turn it back on.

- Columbus, OH, USA