CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 11)

May 182015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact had to maneuver to the shoulder of the road in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was restarted and operated normally after approximately five minutes. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V090000 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000. Updated 09/01/15

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 152015

200

Pulled out of my parking spot and engine stalled and shut off said to put in park and it struggled to turn over, then drove down the road and stalled again happened about 6-7 times already also happened to me 3 times within 5 mins

- Elmhurst, NY, USA

Jun 162015

200 4-cyl

I was driving 70 mph on I-64 in va, there was a little bit of an incline after leaving the tunnel and crossing the bridge, every time I tried to accelerate the car felt as if I was slamming on the brakes. It started to do it constantly and eventually the car starting flashing all sorts of error messages and completely locking up. I was in the passing lane and had to swerve onto the grass to avoid being rear ended. Unfortunately the butt of the vehicle was still partly in traffic and I had to wait until the car decided to restart to pull the rest of the way off of the road. I waited some more time to try and drive it again, at least to the right shoulder. When I started it again I was able to get to the right before it started locking up again. At this point when I tried to turn the car off, it would just shake and stay in run, several times it did this and wouldn't let me shut the car off. After about 10 minutes I was able to shut it off and wait for towing to come. The car is currently at the Chrysler dealership for repair. I hope Chrysler is able to resolve the issue because I am terrified to drive a vehicle that chooses to shut off whenever it wants to....updated 08/06/15

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 052015

200

Friday: While wife was driving the car suddenly vibrated and stalled. The vehicle indicated it was still running even though it was off. Was unable to shut off completely for a few minutes, after about 10 minutes car restarted, check engine light remained on. Dealer said to continue to drive. Engine light went off over the weekend. Sunday: Driving at approximately 25 miles per hour car suddenly stalled and we were able to coast to side of road. Car indicated it was still on and running even though it was off. Was able to put car in park and eventually shut it off. Car would not restart. Car would not change gears, so unable to put it in neutral when tow arrived. Towed to dealer and they held it until Friday. Said that the pins in the power distribution center were loose and that was the problem. Friday: Picked car up from dealer, wife drove it less than 1 mile and it stalled and shut off again in an intersection. After approximately 10 minutes the car restarted. Is now back at the dealer.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Mar 102015

200

Driving down the highway during rush hour traffic at 45 mph, the tranmission went into neutral even though the selector was in drive and did not allow me to accelerate at all while the car proceeded to slow to a stop. The "service transmission" message, check engine light and other messages appeared. It required me to stop my car, restart it in order to drive it again. This is a very serious safety concern. It also gets stuck in 4th gear (limp home mode) which is also dangerous because the engine has very little power when you stop and it prevents you from accelerating at the rate of traffic. It is also extremely hard to drive up hills.

- Livingston, NJ, USA

May 052015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,779.

- South Gate , MI, USA

Apr 202015

200 6-cyl

My wife was driving home from work last night, and the car shut down without warning. We have had the car for 10 months now, and this is the second time in two weeks that has happened. What I am most concern with is, if we are driving the car at the posted speed limit of 70 mph, and the car shuts off, what the consequences of that may be. I ask that you would please, please look into this issue, as it will eventually cause someone with this type of car to have a deadly accident, which I know can be avoided if it is taken care of in a timely manner. What is even worse for us is, the car dealership will not be able to even look at the car until 30 Apr 15, due to their overload of vehicles that they see on a daily basis, which now puts us at even more of a risk of an accident. My wife and I both work, and need both cars, but I will sacrifice missing work to ensure she makes it to her job safely. Again, I ask that you please, please take a look into this issue. I have been online and have seen many other complaints about the same issue with this particular car.

- Fort Knox, KY, USA

Dec 012014

200 4-cyl

2015 Chrysler 200. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle shutdown while driving. The dealer was unable to determined what was causing the vehicle to shut down. Updated 06/03/105.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

Aug 012014

200 4-cyl

Coming down expressway at about 65 mph. Suddenly warning indicated potential transmission failure and car was losing power. Pulled off highway and shut engine down. Restarted and warning was cleared except for check engine light. Took car to dealer and wiring harness was replaced and computer reset. On April 7th, 2015 in heavy traffic car lost engine power and began to stall I was able to get car (barely into turnaround lane before engine stalled out. Mileage on car was around 9500 miles. Warning again related to transmission failure and all transmission indicator lights were illuminated. Car locked up and could not be moved as wheels would not turn. Car towed to jim riehls in Warren, mi. Dangerous situation as auto completely locked up in heavy traffic. Police demanded immediate movement and called a tow truck and stood by until truck arrived.

- Troy, MI, USA

Dec 202014

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while reversing at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart and the engine is warming please wait to start warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that there was a misfire with the engine coil. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Pine Bluff, AR, USA

Feb 022015

200 6-cyl

Car at 55 mph drops out of drive at speeds up to 55 mph drops into netural. Electrical system locks up preventing car to start had to be tow.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Dec 142014

200 4-cyl

Was driving on the freeway and it was dry outside, the car alert signal sounded and the air bags opened and the car stopped....updated 06-12-15 updatd 04/11/16

- Benicia, CA, USA

Aug 012014

200 4-cyl

I purchased my car brand new in June 2014. In mid August 2014 on interstate 110. After coming to a complete stop my car shut off, as if it had stalled. I attempted to restart it and it jerked wildly and would not start. After a few more attempts it eventually started only to shut off again on interstate 105W. I was traveling approximately 70mph in lane 1 when the vehicle lost power and the panel instructed me to shift into park. The driver panel displayed "service transmission? and the check engine light was on. The service technician indicated that the computer needed to be ?relearned" and provided documentation of several corrupted codes that were fixed. Two days later I experienced the same exact problem. They determined that I had an issue with my transmission valve body. After I got my car back I noticed that the transition between gears is very rough. Furthermore the gear shifting seems delayed, as the gears are often very inconsistent with the driving speed. Finally I notice that as I brake or lower my speed the gears do not adjusting accordingly. I have noticed that this is mostly a problem when I brake to a speed lower than about 25mph. In these instances, unless I come to a complete stop, the vehicle will not drop below 3rd gear. I reported this problem and received a entirely new transmission. Now, about 6,000 miles later I am experiencing the same shifting issues.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jan 042015

200

I purchased this vehicle from the dealer four months ago. In that time I have had some unpleasant experiences. At first it was little things, such as not being able to start the car, or the keyfob didn't work correctly. Although those were nagging they were easily dealt with. Last week I was driving down the street doing about 40mph, and the cars display started throwing error messages, such as service transmission. The car felt like it had stalled and I had no power to the gas, brake or steering wheel. Luckily I was not on the highway when this happened or the likelihood of me getting in an accident would be very high, being that this was in the evening. So, I am stuck in the middle of the road with a car that still has accessory power, but I was not able to shift the car into park, or drive. I was able to shut the car off and restart it fine, but again couldn't shift. After about 20 minutes the car shifted into gear, and I was able to drive it, albeit very slowly since the engine would not rev past 2000 rpms. I checked for any service bulletins and see this has been an issue for several people. There was not a fix associated with this. I brought the car in to your service department, and they were not able to recreate the issue. So, now I am stuck with a brand new car with roughly 2200 miles that I'm afraid to drive. If/when this happens again I hope I'm not on the highway or any road actually as the chance of an accident is very high. I don't feel safe. I have never had something like this happen to me, so I honestly don't know how to proceed.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 132014

200

This incident has happened on two separate occasions. While driving on the highway at speeds around 60 to 70 mph, my car will suddenly stall, and I am unable to accelerate. My electronic dash display would begin blinking, and I have no power to the pedal at all. On both occasions, I was in fact able to pull of to the side of the road to avoid any kind of car accident, however the second incident nearly caused a crash because the traffic volumes at the time were quite heavy. I was nearly rear ended due to my sudden deceleration. After the second incident, I decided to take the car in for service. As of today (3 days in the shop) I have not heard a reason as to why this is occurring. I have had the car for roughly 4 months, and this stalling has happened twice. I am worried that it will eventually lead to an accident on the road.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Sep 022014

200 4-cyl

After having an issue with the vehicle starting and receiving a jumpstart, I was bringing the car to the dealership to be repaired. The vehicles engine suddenly stopped whilst I was on a crowded road during rush hour. I had no ability to accelerate, nor enough motion to get to parking lot. I was forced to stop in a right hand turn lane. I was instructed to put the vehicle in park, and restart. At this time the vehicle did not restart and I called my insurance company to request a tow, and police assistance to increase the visibility of my vehicle and to keep traffic away to prevent an accident. At this time, the dealership has stated that there were no error codes showing, and that the day following this incident the car started fine. I am concerned that since this is a vehicle that is a fresh redesign that not all of the major issues were caught before deploying the vehicle on the road. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle without an explanation for what happened, and how it was fixed.

- Auburb Hills, MI, USA

Jul 082014

200 4-cyl

I have a 2015 Chrysler 200S, my car has stalled on 3 occasions while driving, each at different speeds. On two of the incidents, the car shut off, I was able to coast safely to the side of the road and place the car back into park. Once in park I was able to restart the engine and proceed with driving. On July 8, 2014 the car stalled and totally shut down. The car was locked and would not do anything. I attempted to place the car in park however the control knob (center console on these cars) to do so was locked and would not move. The engine was shut down however all electrical systems were still active within the car. Several service messages cycled through the display on the vehicle; therefore I contacted Chrysler roadside assistance. Roadside assistance arrived and my car was towed to the nearest Chrysler dealer (not the dealer I bought it from). Once at the dealer I was informed that my car would not be able to be looked at because they were too busy. Therefore my car remained on the lot, all electrical systems were still running throughout the entire night (approximately 12-15 hours) before it was looked at. In that time the battery had died, once it was jumped it started and it was able to be pulled into a service bay. After 2 days in the service dept I was informed they could not recreate the issue that caused the car to totally shut down and lock up while driving. They "road tested" the car 102 miles as instructed by Chrysler however no codes were active in regards to the incident on July 8, 2014. They have now returned my car to me without this major safety issue being addressed. The final verdict from the dealer was, we cannot recreate the stalling and shutdown therefore we will be returning the car to you. The car was bought brand new and I have had it 3 weeks.

- Hamburg, PA, USA