CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Oct 122016

200

On multiple occasions, random times of day, I would attempt to start my car (or sometimes already be driving) but the engine light and parking light would turn on with a message reading "service transmission, service parking brake" and I can not get the car out of park. This happened at times when I was parked in my driveway, when I was at a complete stop at a red light and has even left me stranded in vacant parking lots. I took the car in for service and was told it was a software upgrade. I left my car, had the upgrade and the problem still occurs. I was told that the only option left is to replace the transmission. During all of my conversations and visits to the dealer, I surprised that no one has mentioned once to me that this car was recalled for electrical issues. I found that out myself when I was doing some research on the issue. This is a huge safety concern. I was left stranded in a parking lot overnight until I could find a ride to get me home, ive stalled out in the middle of the highway when I was stopped for traffic, and ive lost count of the amount of work days ive been out because was car has not been reliable enough to start when I need it to. The car is less than 1.5 years old. I shouldn't be dealing with these issues.

- North East, MD, USA

Nov 152016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the instrument panel gauges and lights suddenly began to flicker before the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the PCM wiring harness was replaced. The failure reoccurred where the vehicle began to jerk and stall after depressing the brake pedal. The contact also indicated that while driving approximately 65 mph while the cruise control was activated, the driver was unable to immediately deactivated the cruise control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 30,000. Djr

- Corpus Crispy, TX, USA

Dec 192016

200

Pulled into a parking lot and upon parking I put the vehicle in park. I hadn't turned the car off but let my foot off the brake and the car began to roll backwards. I had to shift out of park and then back to get it to stay in park.

- Freeport, TX, USA

Dec 102016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle experienced a compete loss of power without warning. In addition, the contact experienced an issue with opening the vehicle's doors due to lack of power. The contact stated that the vehicle was involved in a front end collision. The failure occurred on five occasions. A police report was not filed. The contact was injured and suffered from severe migraines. Medical attention was received. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the dealer refused to do the repair. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 39,200. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Snevillville, GA, USA

Oct 262016

200

My husbands Chrysler 200 2015 had huge electrical problems which would cause the vehicle to completely shut off while being driven. The car's electrical would not work, the keyfob wouldn't work, the trunk wouldn't open and you could not shift gears. The dealership could not figure out the issue but "fixed" it several times. The car malfunctioned again and my husband was involved in a car accident as a result, which totaled the car completely, with no airbag deployment. Chrysler has not fixed the issue, instead they have closed several cases/claims we have opened with them, never addressing the issue of the car turning off without notice, only the airbag concern. Again, the car was being driven when it completely shut off and loses all electrical and engine power, which resulted in the accident which totaled the car

- Glendale, CA, USA

Nov 282016

200

I purchased a 2015 Chrysler 200C in October 2016 and 2 weeks after purchasing it I was at a stop light and my car just completely shut down saying to service transmission service brakes etc. My vehicle had to be towed to the dealership and they said they reflashed the computer that day and it was fixed. I picked it up and have been leery about it ever since well a month of having it and on Nov 28 2016 I was going home from the store and was turning into my street when my car stalled out on the road. I was hit by a oilfield water truck and my car was totaled. I went in to the hospital with injuries to my face, leg arm and head. I ended up with a concussion and brusinings all over and a boot on my foot. And there's a possibility my jaw is dislocated.

- Bloomfield, NM, USA

Nov 182016

200

My concern is the corrective action taken by fca regarding safety recall S55/NHTSA 16V-529. This recall identified a loss of motive power that could occur due to a faulty transaxle wire harness, possibly resulting in a crash. Solution was to replace the wire harness when parts became available. After a two month wait, fca changed the suggested repair from replacing the wire harness to re-programming the PCM and tcm. This re-programming, prevents the transmission from shifting to neutral, causing a loss of motive power, but will now place the vehicle in "limp mode". dealer service managers could not provide an accurate description of that process. We know it will cause the transmission to downshift, either to third or maybe second gear, not sure which, and a reduction of maximum speed to 30 mph or less, again not sure what it will be. The root cause, the transaxle wire harness will not be replaced until the vehicle experiences this problem. So, I am left with the original problem which could fail at any time. Whether the vehicle loses all motive power, or abruptly downshifts to a lower gear with a loss of acceleration while traveling at highway speeds could still produce a very unsafe condition if a person reacts incorrectly. Are these corrective actions, which are not those identified in the original recall, approved by the NHTSA, or can the manufacturer change them at will? I have had this vehicle for sixteen months. Five of those the vehicle remained parked in the garage due to two recalls. I do not agree with the corrective action taken.

- Converse, TX, USA

Nov 162016

200

Purchased/leasing car from american car center and from day 2 there had been problems but they keep giving me the run around. I've taken it to the shop 3X in less than 30 days. The air bag light light was on. They had me take it to a place that doesn't fix them then they sent me to the Chrysler dealership who claimed to have fixed it. Not even a week later the light comes on again. In the meantime I complained about the car seeming like it's going into neutral. Again, acc sends me to one of their shops who says nothing is wrong with the transmission and it just need to be reset so they reset it. Well the same day it was supposed to be fixed it does it two more times especially going downhill. It doesn't shift into gear as it suppose to. I put it in drive but it moves like it's in neutral then jerks into drive, not safe. If I stop at a stop sign it stalls to pull off. The passenger seat got stuck after it was let back for the first time. The speedometer glitches and the radio/phn connection does what it wants to. My main complaint is the transmission. What it's doing scares me whenever I drive it. The date it last happened is listed below.

- Readyville, TN, USA

Sep 122016

200

Transmission shifting hard and from time to time seems like it takes longer to engage into drive from park mode. The car has been at the dealer for some type of transmission issues since it was bought new. We are currently waiting for a response on safety recall S55 / NHTSA 16V-529 received in early September 2016. I called fca and received a case number 9/12/2016 2:32 pm case number 30101893 but have yet to hear anything back. I have contacted the dealship several times and have yet to receive a call back. My concern is the car has been labeled unsafe by the recall and I haven't revived and feed back from the dealership or fca.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Mar 022015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V090000 (power train), 15V470000 (electrical system), and 16V529000 (power train); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Aug 082015

200

Dealerships are not cooperating.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 242016

200 6-cyl

Driving down the road and car went into "limp" mode then started "bucking". at the dealership and they ruled out transmission (Wednesday), still diagnosing (Thursday), now ordering a wiring harness for power distribution (Monday).

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 102016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the gear shifter shifted into neutral independently and the panel surrounding the shifter began to flicker. In addition, while attempting to reverse with the gear shifter in the reverse position, "put in designated gear" displayed across the message board. The vehicle failed to reverse and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after some time. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. After the repair for NHTSA campaign number: 16V114000 (air bags, seats) was performed, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The failure mileage was 52,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Oct 162016

200

My 200 has stalled in motion(highway) for no apparent reason. I receive an error message "put car into park to restart your engine". my vehicle has been to dealership for repair and I after one week I had the same experience in motion (city street) and my car stalled and I received the same error message.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Oct 022015

200

Car shuts down completely during driving. No brakes steering or anything. Someone is going to die in this car. Dealer can't fix problems. Will just happen.

- Clarksburg, WV, USA

Jul 082016

200

I have taken my vehicle several times to the dealership for recalls and check engine light. In July 2016 the vehicle stalled and locked up in the middle of a major intersection. The service department said it stalled on us due to a recall part. Just so happened the dealership we go to had just fixed the same recall issue in June. In Sept 2016 the vehiclevehicle stalled on the highway with my family in the vehicle. Oct vehicle went back into the shop and I picked it up today for the same part after being in the shop for 5 days with no remedy. Have to mention the service manager drove my car before it could be released to me. Funny thing they gave it back to me with the check engine light still on. I was told I would have to take the car back so they can figure out why the engine light us on. I asked what they did to my vehicle but it's like no one knows....I don't know what to do at this point with my vehicle. My wife drives our kids everyday and feels like the vehicle is unsafe to be on the road due to it constantly stalling.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 152016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle hesitated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that a software update needed to be performed. The vehicle was repaired; however; four months later. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer where it was diagnosed that a software update was needed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,500.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 082016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the parking brake engaged without the contact pressing the function button. There was no warning indicator illuminated each time the parking brake engaged. In addition, the vehicle had a strong hesitation and randomly stalled several times without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer more than three times, but they could not replicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified several times, but the contact was unable to get a response within a reasonable time frame. The failure mileage was not available.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 152016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that all of the indicators on the instrument panel illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Sep 172016

200

My vehicle is now a year old and was purchased with 54 miles on the car. Purchase complete in June, by September vehicle needed the motor replaced (so disappointing and such an inconvenience). The car has been stalling amid traffic which is extremely dangerous. The dealership supposedly fixed that issue and yet more stalling now than before. I have reached out to Chrysler several times about this lemon and not much help has been given at all. As I type now the complaints with the car is that the car stalls displaying the battery light but starts back up. Took the car to dealership to see exactly what the problem was and of course they stated the same thing (oh the battery must be replaced) at the expense of $390 which I refused those services. Went to get battery tested from a second opinion and the battery life was fine and was not die to be replaced. Now when the car stalls it displays the battery light, traction light, power steering unavailable and shuts off. Well to top that problem and the 3 or fourth time of stalling depending on the distance, car shuts down completely for approximately 20 minutes displaying braking system notification when the car now does not shift into and gears. The air/heating system, radio, lights, etc still works but car can't go into park, drive, reverse, neutral, or low. I emailed Chrysler along with pictures and of course I am yet to get a reply.

- Pickens, MS, USA