Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Nov 012015

This vehicle has experienced transmission problems since month two, taken in multiple times to be told a variety of reasons why the car isn't working. Car stopped twice in the middle of the road, wouldn't start or move (with my children in the car both times). Currently car will speed up when you take your foot off the gas, also car transmission thuds into gear feeling like the car is literally going to fall apart. Been told that everyone is aware of the problem, no one has a solution. In the mean time the car is clearly unstable, unsafe.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Mar 072016

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph and preparing to stop at a red light, the vehicle jerked violently. The failure occurred on four occasions. In addition, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000. The VIN was not available.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 032016

Takata recall the car is powering off while driving causing car to stop. I see there is a recall for this but not on my VIN number. This is very danderous because the car just stops

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jan 222016

Driving on I-75 outside of detroit when engine suddenly caught on fire and burned engine compartment and front seating area. Car has only 4,000 and has only driven in metro area since purchased a few months ago. Our lives were endanger and saved with the help of other motorists until fire department arrived. Freeway was closed and incident on tv that night..

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Feb 222016

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle jerked without warning. The vehicle was taken to be repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,314.

- Booneville, AR, USA

Feb 202016

Car shuts off while driving and without warning. Yesterday driving home during my commute, in one of the busiest highways in nyc the vehicle shut off. This was a harrowing experience because it was rush hour, I was at the time, passing a short bridge which offered no shoulder for me to pull over. Confused and bewildered, I felt fearful someone my not see me and slam behind me. I quickly put my four ways and literally put my arm out the window frantically waving traffic around the disabled vehicle. As I tried to re-position the gear knob from driving to park, the light indicator would not move from the drive position although the knob did rotate to the park position. After 5 minutes or so, I attempted to start the car by pressing on the ignition button and like nothing ever happened it started up and I was able to drive home safely, although this type of event could had had a very different result.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 162016

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart. The contact stated that after the failure occurred, a burning odor was present. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V470000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,086.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 132016

I was driving my brand new Chrysler 200 that I bought 4 months prior and it was completely shutting off in the middle of the road... I lost control of steering until it shut completely off so I could restart it. Very scary when you have your newborn baby and 10 year old in that back seat. Not once did a check engine light come on or any sensor come on to tell me that my vehicle had no oil in it. So I believe the engine, electrical, and sensors are all messed on this vehicle. I do not feel like I should be stuck with it because in the back of my head I no longer feel safe in this vehicle. I am reaching out for help because Chrysler won't and I have owned this care since August and it was in shop for 17 days in January, I have it back but I still don't think it's running correctly.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Sep 092015

Before reaching 1000 miles, I knew that there were terrible problems with the engine: Jerking, hesitating and stalling. These engine/transmission problems make my car unsafe to drive as we have experienced several close encounters with accidents as a result of these defective problems!!. I have complained to our dealership where I purchased my car. But for some reason they couldn't get me in to check on my vehicle because of so many of the same issues I was told & also stated that it wasn't their fault to check with Chrysler Corp?? since then was almost killed twice (my whole family)!! merging onto I-20 in Georgia, going about 50 while merging when there was a tractor trailer moving up quickly in my rear view mirror I hit the gas but nothing happened!!! I started yelling oh my god my kids screamed daddy my wife screaming then, the car shuts off so now im without power, the truck started laying on his horn then there was blue smoke from the tires of the truck!! "twice" this has happened!!! other incidents, while pulling up to a stop sign or stop light while slowing to stop it would jerk then speed up sometimes throwing me into on coming traffic!! something has to happen!! this car is a death trap!!

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jan 052016

Engine blocked needed to be replaced at 14,000 miles. Since engine was replaced the transmission is not shifting properly. 2 dealerships blamed the "adaptive transmission" for the issues. I have had the quick learn rolled back 3 times and car is still not shifting or stopping safely.

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Oct 132015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated while driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle made a continuous jerking motion. The contact also stated while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart on the first attempt. The failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The engine was replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Jan 232016

In January 2015, I purchased a 2015 Chrysler 200S from reedman toll auto world. I owned the vehicle for approximately 3 months and in March, 2015 during a snowstorm I was driving in the vehicle with my fiance and 5 year old son. I was traveling at approx 30mph in bensalem, pa. The vehicle locked up. The parking brake engaged, no power steering, no ABS, no traction control, transmission stopped engaging. I hit the brakes and slide into an intersection. I had my fiance get into the drivers seat and I push the car off the roadway into a side street. At that time I walked my fiance and son home approximately 1 mile to our apartment. I then walked back to the disabled car. I waited for approximately 2 hours for a tow truck to arrive from Chrysler roadside assistance. The vehicle was towed into reedman toll auto world. When the car was looked over it was deem to be fine and I was told to pick it up. I did not do that. I told them I didnt feel safe driving that vehicle any longer. So then I spoke with the general manager of reedman's and they told me they could get me into a different vehicle. I was poorly educated with my options back then and I wanted to just get a safe vehicle for my family. So I purchased a 2015 Chrysler 200C. On January 23th, 2016 I was driving my 2015 Chrysler 200C with my fiance. I was driving at approximately 20mph and the identical situation occurred again. It was 10 months after my last incident and with a totally different vehicle. This time I contacted Chrysler directly. I still havent heard anything from Chrysler. Reedman's told me that there was some snow in there and they removed that and re flashed the computer system and now its "perfect". I find this to be really unacceptable and unsafe. More information including pictures and videos can be provided.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jan 122016

Car has long crank times. I have had it in the dealership twice now for flash updates and on Tuesday the 12th of January the car would not start the first time I hit the ignition button. I had a full tank of gas car is garage kept. I have reported this to dealership and other than the flash update Chrysler claims there is no issue.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Nov 012015

Takata recall- my vehicle was in park and rolled back almost hitting my child I reported it to dealer. Next my vehicle have been stalling and now the engine light is on and I notified the dealer. I reported that my air conditioning signal acts up. Transmission slips sometimes. I reported this as well

- Peru, IN, USA

Sep 192014

I purchased my car in Sept. 2014. The car that I test drove was nothing like the car I got. When I mentioned the difference to the sales person, he stated that they were the same and that the car had to adjust to the way I drove. I took the car back to the dealer because they forgot to do service work on the car previously and the service manager stated that the car would feel better after 250 miles. I informed him that the car had 500 miles and he stated that it should "feel smoother soon." I took the car back up to mack haik Dodge in georgetown tx, where I purchased it and a manager told me that he would like to make things right and I should look for something that I liked and they would help me. The sales person that was going to "help" me was someone that I met at another dealership who told me that his wife had the same car and that half of them came out with problems and the other half was fine. He stated that I probably got one with problems. He stated that they were either great of had issues. I am now going to a different dealership to try and have the recall fixed. The recall is for the problem that I have been telling them for a year. At one point they told me that they could not fix anything because their transmission guy was out on sick leave. My car has been dangerous since I bought it. It hesitates when stepping on the accelerator on the highway. When the car starts out, it lunges forward and feels like a bucking horse. I was embarrassed to put people in my car. I worked with a government Agency that transported children and felt terrified to place a child in my car. Mack haik has been absolutely horrible. Their solution for my problem was to purchase another car with a $200 dollar more payment. I've been so frustrated that I considered a lemon law attorney. I contacted Chrysler and they said the dealer had to correct the problem. Can you help?

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 052015

The power distribution center (pdc), shifter, parking break, transmission wire, power train, and engine stopped working on 12/05/15. The care completely shut down. I had it towed to a local dealer on 12/7/15. The worked on it all week through 12/10/15. The called me and told me everything was fixed. I came to pick it up, and I drove it back to work, to the store, then back home where it was parked over night. I wake up this morning to go to work and drop my girls off at school and the same thing happens. The car will not start, the brake is tight, the system is not detecting my key fob, and the care jerks a little bit and then dies. The dash will come on but the care will not shift out of park. I have it towed back to the dealership and they tell me "it worked last yesterday once we finished repairs.' I'm frustrated and made because I only received notification that 2 weeks ago that my car was up for a recall. Then the dealer's service department tell me it's under 2-3 recalls. My insurance will provide a rental car. However, since this is mechanical and not due to an accident I can't get a rental. I call the dealer to request a loaner car, and they tell me that Chrysler only provides them with five loaner cars, and they are currently being used for higher priority customers who major engine or transmission problems. If I read this one recall correct, one of the issues can cause me to hurt myself or others in a bad accident it this issue is not correct. To top it off they won't even provide me with a loaner car until they fix a problem that was caused in the manufacturing process. Chrysler tells me that they don't usually replace cars, as they probably will only make repairs to fix the problem. The dealer here tells me that the recalls were made in February 2015. Why wasn't I notified until recently. I could have seriously injured myself and my family. Very unhappy!

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Aug 132015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 55 mph, the engine stalled and all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred numerous times. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, the vehicle began to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the tcm failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 9,000.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Nov 282015

I was driving home and my transmission and power steering went out on me and caused me to hit a median and I almost got into a serious accident. Chrysler hasn't been professional at all in regards to this recall and I'm disturbed. I could have really been hurt and I'm not ok with the fact I have to come out of pocket for something that isn't my fault and could have potentially died. The car was in motion and I was turning in a busy intersection.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 142015

My transmission keeps slipping and it's becoming hazardous to drive on the road. Would not recommend purchasing this vehicle!!

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Oct 092015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle independently slowed down and stalled as the "put into park" warning indicator illuminated. It took several attempts to start the vehicle; however, the failure recurred after driving approximately 50 feet. The failure recurred on several occasions while driving the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Landover, MD, USA