Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Nov 052015

Car will stall out with no warning at any speed or maneuver, disabling power steering. I drive in austin, Texas traffic and it is extremely dangerous if stall occurs on their many, many expressways and overpasses. This has happened on neighborhood streets, downtown streets and on ih 35.

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Oct 292015

Bought car is October of 2014. October of 2015, car started having problems. First day it started. Car had trouble turning over. It cranked, and cranked, and finally was able to turn over. Drove it to work that day and felt shakes and vibrations at idle. Next day, same thing. Car hesitates and shakes and check engine light appeared. Towed to dealer where they stated the issue was the recalls and updates to the tcm and PCM. I stated there was something more serious, and they insisted it was just the recalls (power distribution center). Got a call the next day to pick car up. Took off with it, and at next stop light, car stalled. Lights flickered and car felt very rough. Was able to turn back on car. At this time, the A/C stopped working. The defrost was the only thing working no matter what was turned on or off on the dash. Tried to turn ac and defrost on and off and the defrost stayed on the whole time. Made it back to dealer, and told them the issues. While I stood there, the adviser felt the shake when he touched the door, and said there was definitely something wrong and got me a loaner car. Still waiting to hear back.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

May 152015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 65 mph, the contact noticed the brake system and service engine warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the engine revved loudly as if it were in neutral gear. The vehicle was restarted, but failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed and repaired. The details were unavailable. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 15V47000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Allen, TX, USA

Sep 242014

I have been trying to get my car fixed for a year. The dealer mac haik in georgetown tx has said that they cannot replicate the problem. My car hesitates when I step on the gas and when it is put into gear it lunges. This is particularly annoying when the car first starts. I have told them over and over and they just say that their transmission man is out on leave. This is a beautiful car that I absolutely hate because of how it drives. I contacted Chrysler and they said it has to go through the dealer. I am frustrated and very aggravated. If this is the american import of the year, we are in dire straits. This is an unsafe car! this was not the car that I demoed and when I said something to the salesperson, he and the service person said that the car had to adjust to the way I drive.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 102015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the transmission warning light randomly flashed, the vehicle had a drastic reduction in speed and stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice and the contact stated that they replaced two different sensors but the failure recurred. The contact also mentioned that the key fob also failed to work intermittently. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who tightened the motor mounts. The contact was waiting on instructions from the manufacturer to instruct the dealer on repairing the vehicle. The failure mileage was not available.

- Opelousas, LA, USA

Oct 042015

Vehicle under recall without any solution or parts available for the repair. Owners are to continue driving until a solution is available. Car will stall or shift into neutral while driving at both high and low speeds. Car has stalled on the highway without warning, shifting into neutral while in drive. Car engine revved up, but would not accelerates I I could get off the road safely avoiding traffic. Warning lights flash on the dashboard instructing me to service transmission, stop safely, turn off car, place into park. Doing all of this left the car stuck in either "run" or "accessory" mode. Car would not shut down, even when key fob was away from car. Gear shift was stuck and would not shift into any gear. All lights were lit up on the gear shift. At the same time the car clock time froze and a warning came on the screen saying to service vehicle phone. Car had to be towed to dealer twice and has been in the shop for the same problem 4 times within 25 days, and is currently in the shop now. Manual park release had to be used in order to tow vehicle as the gear shift wouldn't shift into neutral or any other gear. Car is extremely unsafe to drive for owners and fellow drivers on the road as an immediate decrease in speed and loss of control could potentially cause accidents.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 072015

During test drive of 2015 Chrysler 200 engine stopped and all lights on gear knob came on. While driving 25 mph straight on colonial dr.,by blue knob dealership in duncansville, pa the engine stopped and I pulled over to side of road. If cars were parked on side of road I would have had to stop in middle of road causing a dangerous situation. All lights on gear shift were on and I could not move knob to park. Waited approx. 2 minutes and lights went off and I turned knob to park and restarted car. I assumed car engine had not been driven in a long time and was cold.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Oct 282014

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power completely. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 8,900.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Aug 172015

I purchased vehicle 7/31/2015, on 8/17/2015 vehicle began to jerk, miss out, try to die when driving and then the check engine light came on. I took into shop 8/18/2015 and found out that the motor was bad and it was a factory default and needed replaced. Motor had 468 miles on it. Upon further investigation, we found out that an entire line was produced where some of these motors were not put together properly (missing a seal). To this date, 10/7/2015 I still have not seen any recall or any mention of said problem. My motor was to be replaced, I told Chrysler I wanted them to take the car back. I had only 2 weeks and the major part of vehicle was junk. They suggested a replacement, we tried that solution and 4 weeks into it, they had still not moved. I am now asking them to buy back the vehicle and let me move on. I feel like the public should be aware of this, as there is potentially hundreds of vehicles out there with bad motors sitting on lots, driveways, garages or driving down the road just waiting to fail.

- Bainbridge, IN, USA

Sep 152015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off, occasionally not accelerate, and lose power. When making a right turn, a beeping sound was present and the oil gauge indicator would increase. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Oct 022015

My engine turned off while driving. I was on a one lane ramp, going about 25 or 30 miles per hour around a bend. The transmission was in drive, not park or neutral. I could not restart my engine. Additional safety features such as forward collision warning, lane sense, and park sense were disabled. I was blocking traffic - the only way to get around me was to go up onto the sidewalk, which is not safe. People behind me tried to help by pushing the car, but could not. I had to call the police to send incident response to push me out of the way. The incident response truck also could not push me out of the way, but after rocking my car several times in an attempt to push the car, the engine would start. The check engine light came on and the screen showed a message saying to service transmisison. I drove to a parking lot and called a tow truck to take me to a dealership. I have found many cases of this happening to other 2015 Chrysler 200 owners, and I think there needs to be an investigation and possibly a recall. The dealership cannot tell me what caused the issue, only that their service manual says reflashing the transmission control module should solve the problem. Chrysler coporate also cannot tell me what caused the issue. Several testimonies online say that their car was not fixed by reflashing the tcm. Having your new car die on the road while driving with absolutely no warning is an unacceptable, possibly fatal risk. I only hope if this happens again, I won't be in an intersection or in front of a semi-truck on the highway.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Oct 022015

There are times when I will be stopped at a stop sign waiting for traffic until I am clear to enter into the roadway. Upon a space opening for me to enter into traffic there have been times when I have pressed down on the gas pedal to go and there is a delayed reaction from the vehicle. The vehicle will not go and you can audibly hear the engine wind up. After a brief while I can feel the vehicle downshift as if it was either in neutral or stuck on a gear. Then the vehicle will launch you out into traffic. I've had close calls to where due to the delay I've almost had to slam on the brakes to prevent myself from going into traffic as the delay put me at risk. When it launched me into traffic I then had to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor in order to avoid being hit by other vehicles and speed away. There are other times of getting onto the highway where it feels like the engine or transmission is lagging behind the accelerator. You can feel the vehicle almost sputter sporadically when driving the vehicle.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Feb 202015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine and brakes, the dashboard overheated, and the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number:15V470000(electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 2,100.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Sep 232015

Car was running beautifully on September 22nd. It was parked in the garage overnight. When I started it the morning of the 23rd, the check engine light flashed and the car was idling very roughly. I drove slowly to the dealer, doug smith Chrysler in american fork, ut. They diagnosed the problem as being a cart and horse concern: Apparently the coil on the #6 cylinder had failed and also the coil driver in the PCM had also failed. They don't know which occurred first and then likely caused the other problem. My concern is that the car was nearly undriveable as it was; what if the PCM had suffered a cascading damage of some sort" especially, what if this had happened while I was traveling 70mph on the freeway? I just think that a component of such importance as the PCM should not fail after only 11000 miles. I now have concerns about the replacement: Will it be brand new or rebuilt? if rebuilt, how reliable will that end up being" I also feel that a spark plug coil should be more robust than to fail at only 11000 miles. I believe this failure could represent a severe danger to myself and possibly to others if it happened while the car was being driven.

- Highland, UT, USA

Mar 242015

When I put my car in drive it bucks, hesitate and pulls off terribly rough, I have took car back to dealer 3 times and they can't seem to find anything wrong, I went to Chicago which is about 3 hrs from my home. I parked went shopping for about 2hrs. Came back hit locks nothing happened, walked closer to car hit locks nothing happened, tried trunk nothing for about 20 min I'm locked out of my car, the car seemed to have lost power.after standing there trying to locks finally it powered on the car had a bad ride at take off I heard noises under hood I continue to drive after the second stop I came back to car no problem it opened, I'm not happy with this car from day one it has been something this is the worst car I have ever had, on;Y had the car for 7months, it was thrown together not manufactured for perfection. This car has a problem with stalling and not wanting to pull off it just sits there then it jumps in gear the take off is very slow. I really need my car I hope there is something that can be done about this, I had a blow out on my front driver side tire hit a small hole on highway the tire instantly burst I was about 300miles from home the tires seem to have been dry rotten. The power lost just happened on 09/19/2015. The other happened stating 03/15.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Aug 072015

While driving on the expressway at approx 65 mph my vehicle cut off without warning. I lost all power. I was able to manuever to the shoulder and then the check engine light and transmission failure light came on. It took several minutes turning vehicle on and off and trying to shift before the vehicle would come on and shift into drive. This occured on two other occassions. The last time almost resulted in an accident because I couldn't get out of the way of cars coming behind me.

- Zion, IL, USA

Jun 302015

My car jerks and/or hesitates while driving or accelerating from stop or coasting at 30 - 55mph. From a complete stop position my car has sputtered and rattled like the transmission or engine was having trouble engaging. I have a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment and you can hear it clearly coming from the passenger side with the windows down. A brand new car and it has a lot of transmission issues. Chrysler doesn't do anything unless it throws a code. 15 times in the repair shop. The car is at the shop now, and the tech is having trouble recreating the issue. Please someone do something about this.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 012015

200 4-cyl

2015 Chrysler 200. Consumer writes in regards to unexplained sudden acceleration when coasting or trying to slow down. The consumer stated the first problem he encountered with the vehicle, was a squeaking brake system. After two visits to the shop, the resolved the problem. Then it took three to four trips to resolve a problem with the trunk latch that would not release the trunk lid. Then it tool a couple of other trips to resolve a problem with a yellow engine earning light that came on for no apparent reason.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Apr 012015

200 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V0909000 (power train) was received in April of 2015. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/19/15 updated 1/14/2016

- Mount Holly Springs, PA, USA

Aug 242015

Vehicle has stalled and loses all power and you are unable to put the car in park. It stays in drive. The car will not re-start and is stuck in drive. You are unable to move the shifter to put it in park. This has happened twice. Once before it went in for service and then again the day after it was picked up from being repaired. Service department indicated they did an R08 recall. This is very dangerous and I am afraid that someone is going to be injured or killed with this car. Currently vehicle is in the shop again. Dealership thinks it may be another recall R24 that came out three days ago but parts are not available and they do not know when it will be fixed. I now have no vehicle at all and do not know for how long!

- Waymart, PA, USA