Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

May 212015

200 4-cyl

I was driving down the street going 25 mph and when I pushed down on gas pedal it felt like my transmission jerk and stalled for a second and then started driving normal. I jus bought this car on April 29 2015 and it's and it's doing this already.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

May 052015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,779.

- South Gate , MI, USA

May 032015

On May 3, 2015 while driving down the highway with my children, the car stalled and I lost complete control of all steering and braking function. I immediately placed on my hazards as cars swerved left and right to avoid slamming into me. I attempted to restart the car and it wouldn't restart. After sitting for approximately 5 minutes, the car finally restarted. As I finally started to go, the car would accelerate quickly and then slow down. Within 10 minutes, it stalled again while driving. It did this 2 more times. Service was called and the car was taken to the shop. The next day I received a call that the car was fixed. I picked up the car and drove it for one day. Driving home from work on May 6, 2015, it again stalled while I was driving and almost caused me to crash as I lost all steering and braking ability. Again, the car would not restart. Service was called and took the car to a different authorized dealer. I received a call today May 8th that the car was fixed and ready to go. I picked up the car and drove home. Before arriving to my home, the car stalled again and again I lost all steering and braking ability. Service was called once more and the car was taken back to the shop it went to the first time this happened on May 3.

- Townsend, DE, USA

Apr 202015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle began to slow down and then stalled. The contact mentioned that the engine and traction warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the software needed to be updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Ypsilanti , MI, USA

Apr 192015

200 4-cyl

Stop at a 3 way stop started to pull out and throttle went completely dead, no response and in front of on coming vehicles, finally came back and was able to clear just in time. Next morning, same issue but this time when it came back it would not run but lurch and spit and sputter. Both stop engine and check engine cams on. Towed to dealer and could not find anything wrong, but I insisted it was a safety related issue. The dealer keep it for another day and heard nothing, then I received a call the third day that it had been test drove and did not make it out of the dealers lot. So I am concern on the safety of the brand new vehicle with hardly any miles and issues right out the gate. I am seeing other related issues of the same nature on the net all huge safety related with throttle response. I am hopeful that it does not turn into someone losing the life over something known.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Apr 242015

200 4-cyl

My finance and I went on trip to Tennessee. On the expressway I was driving around 70 miles per hour. The car started to slow down on it own in the middle of traffic. It dropped from 70 to 60 and then to 45 without me doing anything. It started shifting gears automatically on it owns. Then I pushed the gas and it went back up to 70. Once we arrived to Tennessee we had to go up mountains and the car started to stall again in the mountains. This was very scary. As I was going into the mountains the car almost stopped while driving. The car kept shifting gears even when I am barely pressing the gas. I had to pull over and shut the car off and start it again. The car started stalling the first day of purchasing it but I thought it was suppose to this until it did it on the express way. I have a brand new car that I am afraid to drive it on long distance trips because of this issue. Talk about disappointing.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Apr 212015

200 4-cyl

My family and I where exiting the freeway off-ramp, when all off a sudden the car stalled on me. My kids where absolutely scared, they where very nervous when a car almost hit us. On one occasion a car came from the side swerving towards us honking nearly side swiping us. At this point in time I am very dissatisfied with the safety of the car. My family means the world to me, never did I think a brand new car will give me an absolute turnaround on the safety outcome it's given us up until now. I received a letter along with a phone call about the recall on the make and model that I purchased (Chrysler 200) recall status. I immediately set up an appointment with the dealer to take it in for the following recall service: 14113 RO1 recall wc 0.50 reprogrammed PCM and tcm module. Then 14 days after the service, the car broke down on the freeway putting myself and my family in harms way of a tragic accident. My wife is terrified at the idea of driving that car again for fear that something might happen while she's driving alone just her and our kids. At this point I am very concerned for my family's safety with this car because it could it been a lot worse. I expect a speedy solution to this issue and I am seriously considering trading in this vehicle for another with a better safety record.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Apr 202015

200 6-cyl

My wife was driving home from work last night, and the car shut down without warning. We have had the car for 10 months now, and this is the second time in two weeks that has happened. What I am most concern with is, if we are driving the car at the posted speed limit of 70 mph, and the car shuts off, what the consequences of that may be. I ask that you would please, please look into this issue, as it will eventually cause someone with this type of car to have a deadly accident, which I know can be avoided if it is taken care of in a timely manner. What is even worse for us is, the car dealership will not be able to even look at the car until 30 Apr 15, due to their overload of vehicles that they see on a daily basis, which now puts us at even more of a risk of an accident. My wife and I both work, and need both cars, but I will sacrifice missing work to ensure she makes it to her job safely. Again, I ask that you please, please take a look into this issue. I have been online and have seen many other complaints about the same issue with this particular car.

- Fort Knox, KY, USA

Apr 032015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and caused the vehicle to shift into neutral. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensor module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Feb 272015

200 6-cyl

An unexpected surge from the engine and drivetrain occurs occasionally with no accelerator pedal application - most often while slowing down around corners. The first time this happened was within a day of buying the car. It startled me and have since approach corners much more cautiously. The unexpected surge has happened approximately six times since late-January to varying degrees of power. I finally have time to take it in tomorrow, 8 April 2015.

- Novi, MI, USA

Apr 062015

200 4-cyl

After driving all day, I was on road after 8 pm. Driving 60 on highway. Car hiccuped then started decelerating quickly. Transmission light came on. Then, before I got to safe place to stop the dashboard started blinking message to put car in park and turn off. Had same problem less than 5000 miles ago. After a week and working with corporate, they said it was faulty power distribution box.

- West Friendship, MD, USA

Aug 012014

200 4-cyl

Coming down expressway at about 65 mph. Suddenly warning indicated potential transmission failure and car was losing power. Pulled off highway and shut engine down. Restarted and warning was cleared except for check engine light. Took car to dealer and wiring harness was replaced and computer reset. On April 7th, 2015 in heavy traffic car lost engine power and began to stall I was able to get car (barely into turnaround lane before engine stalled out. Mileage on car was around 9500 miles. Warning again related to transmission failure and all transmission indicator lights were illuminated. Car locked up and could not be moved as wheels would not turn. Car towed to jim riehls in Warren, mi. Dangerous situation as auto completely locked up in heavy traffic. Police demanded immediate movement and called a tow truck and stood by until truck arrived.

- Troy, MI, USA

Mar 092015

Driving down the highway, the vehicle engine light came on and said engine too hot. The vehicle temp went back down at the stop light. Taking car in for repairs this week, everytime vehicle goes more than 50 the light comes on. Have to drive slowly. This is a car that is fairly new....6 months.

- Las Cruces , NM, USA

Dec 202014

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while reversing at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart and the engine is warming please wait to start warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that there was a misfire with the engine coil. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Pine Bluff, AR, USA

Dec 062014

As I pulled out onto the highway, my car began to stall, it would not pull forward. It made a noise like the transmission is going out. So, I came to a complete stop and started on my route again. This has happened several times. The last time was 2/21/2015 at just over 5100 miles. My car would not change gears, so I had to come to a complete stop and turn the car off and restart the car in order for the gears to change. I have also noticed that the floor board on the drive side passenger floor is wet. I have no idea where the water is coming from.

- College Park, GA, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200 C. the contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,500.

- Tuscalaco, AL, USA

Jan 152015

200 4-cyl

While driving on I95 at 60 mph in the center lane, the car completely lost power. Near the 216 on ramp to I95N. Only because I was an experienced driver was I able to recognize what was happening and safely get over and off on to the soft shoulder of the road and avoid a fatal accident. Car still said "run" and I had to get out on shoulder and walk far away from car to disengage the key fob and then return to the car and turn it off. After turning off and leaving off for 5+ min, attempted to restart. Tow truck had to be called. After 4 days at dealer, they are still unable to identify the problem. All we have been told is they are unable to get the 4 coils to fire at the same time. This is serious and dangerous problem!

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Aug 012014

200 4-cyl

I purchased my car brand new in June 2014. In mid August 2014 on interstate 110. After coming to a complete stop my car shut off, as if it had stalled. I attempted to restart it and it jerked wildly and would not start. After a few more attempts it eventually started only to shut off again on interstate 105W. I was traveling approximately 70mph in lane 1 when the vehicle lost power and the panel instructed me to shift into park. The driver panel displayed "service transmission? and the check engine light was on. The service technician indicated that the computer needed to be ?relearned" and provided documentation of several corrupted codes that were fixed. Two days later I experienced the same exact problem. They determined that I had an issue with my transmission valve body. After I got my car back I noticed that the transition between gears is very rough. Furthermore the gear shifting seems delayed, as the gears are often very inconsistent with the driving speed. Finally I notice that as I brake or lower my speed the gears do not adjusting accordingly. I have noticed that this is mostly a problem when I brake to a speed lower than about 25mph. In these instances, unless I come to a complete stop, the vehicle will not drop below 3rd gear. I reported this problem and received a entirely new transmission. Now, about 6,000 miles later I am experiencing the same shifting issues.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jan 022015

200 4-cyl

While driving to work on the highway at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly stopped accelerating. The engine did not die, but I was unable to accelerate or maintain speed, the vehicle just suddenly started slowing down. While this was occurring, the "D" on the dash was flashing, as were the lights on the gear shift knob. I originally attempted to shift the vehicle into neutral, but it had no impact on the vehicle at all. I moved toward the side of the road and brought the vehicle to a stop, shut it down and restarted. It started back up without a problem. I scheduled the vehicle to go into the dealer on the first available date. The dealer claimed it was a "software update" issue. It has happened twice since, but I have so far not been able to return to the dealer due to work constraints.

- Sandwich, IL, USA

Jan 042015

I purchased this vehicle from the dealer four months ago. In that time I have had some unpleasant experiences. At first it was little things, such as not being able to start the car, or the keyfob didn't work correctly. Although those were nagging they were easily dealt with. Last week I was driving down the street doing about 40mph, and the cars display started throwing error messages, such as service transmission. The car felt like it had stalled and I had no power to the gas, brake or steering wheel. Luckily I was not on the highway when this happened or the likelihood of me getting in an accident would be very high, being that this was in the evening. So, I am stuck in the middle of the road with a car that still has accessory power, but I was not able to shift the car into park, or drive. I was able to shut the car off and restart it fine, but again couldn't shift. After about 20 minutes the car shifted into gear, and I was able to drive it, albeit very slowly since the engine would not rev past 2000 rpms. I checked for any service bulletins and see this has been an issue for several people. There was not a fix associated with this. I brought the car in to your service department, and they were not able to recreate the issue. So, now I am stuck with a brand new car with roughly 2200 miles that I'm afraid to drive. If/when this happens again I hope I'm not on the highway or any road actually as the chance of an accident is very high. I don't feel safe. I have never had something like this happen to me, so I honestly don't know how to proceed.

- Henderson, NV, USA