CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 282015

200

I financed the Chrysler 200 2015, used on 7/13/15. Around August 28th, 2015 I was driving and my car stalled while in motion in a busy intersection. A message appeared on dashboard: "engine warming wait to start", the knob and break locked I could not move the vehicle. The message on the dashboard then changed to: "shift to P." after pressing the push to start button on and off I got the car moving and decided to head to the dealer cautiously, on the way to the dealer it happened another 3 times and I was able to get it to move again and get it in the dealership. They had it in for a few days and told me they fixed the problem. An hour into driving after I left the dealership the car stalled again this time it was dark out and I was on a highway (luckily right lane) the car would not turn back on this time it was completely locked. I exited the vehicle and sat on the side of the highway waiting for a tow truck. (police were called too). This problem was blamed on the R24 recall, a month later I got the car back with the part that had to be replaced and everything seemed fine. The car stalled again on 4/20/2016, same message on dashboard this time it was while moving and making a turn and I almost got hit head on by another vehicle. They took the car in again, said nothing was wrong this time, happened again in June,2016 they said again nothing was wrong. It happened again, the end of Sept,2016 and I got a recall notice for the S55 recall which can cause stalling. They kept the car in dealership said they had to wait for part from Chrysler. They told me it was fixed and on 11/6/2016 I picked up the car and it stalled about 100ft away from the dealership. They took it back in, and now they said again that it is fixed and for me to pick it up. I am terrified, it is an unsafe, unpredictable vehicle. Please investigate Chrysler for the sake of safety. Help me.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

May 302016

200

Enterprise auto sales sold me this Chrysler 200 with an open warranty on it, which I discovered later on. From the time I drove it home, there have been issues with the transmission behaving erratically, surging or racing idle and lurching from a stopped and/or slow mph. It has also behaved as though its suddenly in idle only one to jump back into gear. It's been to the dealer for the tcm recall and that hasn't remedied the problem. Then a new safety recall was released and there is no date on when the most recent issues will be fixed. I saw that my vehicle was potentially listed under the consent agreement's buy-back option for owners. When I spoke with customer service, I was told there was no such thing as a buy-back program and my vehicle was not within the consent agreement. I requested another department and was told there was no other department. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was flatly denied by the customer service representative who had a speech impediment. I haven't ever dealt with a csr that hostile. I'm surprised she works with customers. I've only had this vehicle for about 4 months and it's been a nightmare. Definitely buyers remorse here. I do not feel safe in this car at all. Chrysler has had more than a reasonable amount of time to either repair or refund this vehicle. I believe they should repurchase it from me so I can invest in something else. And as a side note: I have managed to track down all of he work orders completed on this car except for the first safety recall, and according to Chrysler's records, it was repaired by a rental company who is now defund. Very shady.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Sep 202016

200

I was driving home from work yesterday evening doing 60 -65 mph on hwy 6 and my car decelerated like it turned off. I tried pushing the gas and nothing happened, the engine didn't even rev up. I had warning lights flashing on my dash. I tried uploading pictures but they wouldn't attach. I coasted the to shoulder of the road and my car wouldn't disengage from drive. I turned my car off hoping that would help, but when I turned it back on it wouldn't change gears from park. I got towed to the nearest Chrysler dealership. Today I received a call from the dealership that they were going to reset some computer drive and I "should be good to go this afternoon". I told that lady there's a recall on Chrysler for that very issue and I refuse to drive that car until it's fixed. This is a brand new car. I've barely had it a year. She told me that right now they can't fix it. If they can't fix it then Chrysler needs to buy back all of these cars from the people got scammed into buying them. I've had engine trouble from this car from day 1.

- Lorena, TX, USA

Sep 142016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. While stopped at a traffic light, the rpms surged independently of driver input. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 012016

200

Takata recall: My car shuts off and will not power back up or allow to start sometimes when I stop. It also will not detect my key fobs while im trying to start it. Also, it will jump very badly when going slow(street) or fast(freeway). The car also smelled like fire while I was driving one day. It also had an issue where it shut off while I was reversing. I took it to the dealership 4 times and made a complaint with corporate 2 times. They always seem to say they did not find anything wrong with my car. One of my case numbers with Chrysler corporate is 29448239 and the other is 29301258. Both were closed although I stated that the issue was not resolved.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 252016

200

I bought the car in February 2016 and was told it was bought back because of a sensor and had gone through full inspection and was cleared for sale. Two days later my check engine light came on and the car had accelerated from 60-92 on it's own. The dealership puts new parts in and every two weeks after I get my car back, the check engine light comes on and the car is accelerating on it's own. Chrysler has a team talking with the dealership but the car has been back around 10 times and is still having the same problem. Last week it accelerated from 72 to 97 on the freeway while my 2 year old son was in the car. We almost hit a semi. I dont understand how Chrysler is able to keep closing my cases and telling me they fixed it when it is still having the same problem. I've googled engine issues on these cars and found mine wasn't the only one doing this. I am paying a lot of money for an unsafe car that keeps accelerating on it's own and nothing is being done.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Jun 072016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. When coming to a complete stop and depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle would continue to roll. In addition, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal and would accelerate without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed as needing a software update. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,500.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jun 202016

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact was able to slow down the vehicle. Also, when moving from a stationary position, there was a hesitation before the transmission would engage. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The dealer stated that the vehicle operated as designed. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. The VIN was not available.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Oct 122015

200

"takata recall" on or about 8/25/15, I purchased w/warranty a 2015 Chrysler 200 (used). The car shut down while @ a traffic light. On or about 10/11/15. Towed to fulton Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, sacto. Ca. for "recall repairs" I experienced the car making forward jerking motions when downshifting & coming to a stop on numerous occasions, again on or about Nov. 2015, I were at a local grocery store when the car would not start, and was towed to elk grove Dodge, Jeep Chrysler for further diagnostic and repairs. The car after several weeks driving started jerking upon downshifting and would skip the #2 gear. The vehicle in question was brought back into elk grove Dodge, Jeep Chrysler for further transmission & software repairs on or about Dec. 2015. Several letters and emails had been written to Chrysler corporation complaining about the matter. A "lemon law" complaint had been filed March 2016, settled on or about 4/13/16 with fca., buying back the Chrysler, and reimbursement of payments made, except reimbursement for keeping the car insured, I've yet to be notified when and where to return the "coffin" Chrysler. My life has been in jeopardy from day of purchase.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 032015

200

Takata recall well I guess I'll join in with the rest. My 200 is just about a year old. I have just a little over 10,000 miles on it. Been back to dealer twice with same problem. Speeds up when braking at about 35 mph. Then when accelerating engine dies and vehicle slows down....then speeds up. 1st time they downloaded an update... 2nd time they said nothing wrong that they could find. (according to diagnostic codes) I like my car.. let me know when they finally get a fix for this. This is on rural country roads mountainous and hilly. Itbis dangerous.

- Laurel Bloomery, TN, USA

Mar 012016

200

The car is burning oil. 35 qt in 6000 miles. That is all you smell as you drive or at idle. The car jerks back and forth as you drive not good form my 5 yr and 3 yr old necks when its jerking them back and forth. As we brake the car feels like it is giving gas to go. The car has died at stop signs in the middle of know where.

- Pella, IA, USA

Jan 082016

200

Transmission was replaced due to recall now the gears dont shift right it vibrates and the car jumps forward on its own and takes off like a rocket sometimes in reverse I talked to Chrysler they had me bring it back to the dealer as I was driving on a city street the front axle came apart I had it towed they fixed the axle but not the transmission no fix is available is what they said then the left axle started popping I took it back the left strut had to be replaced but still no fix for transmission and its gotten worse.

- Enid, OK, USA

Jul 012015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the transmission independently shifted into neutral. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted as normal. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. On a separate occasion while driving, the vehicle unintended increased acceleration. The failure also occurred when in the reverse position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on five occasions but the failure was unable to be determined. Most recent, the contact received NHTSA campaign number: 15V470000 (electrical system) however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 350. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 182015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While parking the vehicle, it suddenly accelerated and crashed into a tree. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was damaged on the front bumper. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,800.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Nov 032015

200

Car has become unsafe.while driving at highway speeds, tcm light and gear indicator start flashing. Car ceases to accelerate and cuts speed. Contacted dealer who said they knew it was a problem.when I said that car was unsafe, service manager keith at tate Chrysler said 'I don't know what to tell you, join the other 300,000 people in line" was on us highway 70 doing approx 65 miles an hour when issue occured.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Apr 152015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle jerked and accelerated independently. The contact also stated that when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle reduced in speed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. In addition, the vehicle experienced an abnormal noise coming from the brakes. The vehicle was scheduled to be taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Apr 012015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnostic results was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Albany, GA, USA

Sep 022015

200

This is a recurring problem. It has happened more than 5 times. While increasing or decreasing speed on the adaptive cruise control system using the steering wheel buttons, the adaptive cruise control is disabled and the car screen alerts the driver that adaptive cruise control is unavailable. The dealership has looked at the car twice. The second time, they replaced the computer module for the acc. This did not fix the problem. This can happen on highway, on city roads, while going fast, while going slow. Vehicle is always going straight, not turning, as it is unsafe to adjust the controls in a turn.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Oct 312014

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle jerked and the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V47000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 200.

- Armonk, NY, USA

Apr 062015

200

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving at 70 mph, the vehicle accelerated rapidly when the brake pedal was applied. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired, but the failure recurred. The details of the repair were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,500.

- Benton, AR, USA