CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 162015

200

My airbag light was going on and off throughout the day. I brought it to the dealer and they didn't find any codes but the light was off. I went down the road and it turned back on so I went back. They found the same code that's been giving me issues regarding the passenger seat. 7 times for the same issue. I had brought my car back and forth since March 2015 for the tranny issue. It jerks, hesitates, and rattles. On a serious note my neck hurts cause it causes me to jerk forward. All Chrysler keeps doing is reprogramming my computer on the tranny but it doesn't work. I have over 17 work orders, over 30 days of staying in the shop, and all they do is reprogram it per Chrysler star orders. Recently I went to reverse the vehicle and it shot forward then knocked into reverse. The buyback program is a lie. Please do not purchase the Chrysler 200. It's just a headache and a waste of money.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Jun 302015

200

My car jerks and/or hesitates while driving or accelerating from stop or coasting at 30 - 55mph. From a complete stop position my car has sputtered and rattled like the transmission or engine was having trouble engaging. I have a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment and you can hear it clearly coming from the passenger side with the windows down. A brand new car and it has a lot of transmission issues. Chrysler doesn't do anything unless it throws a code. 15 times in the repair shop. The car is at the shop now, and the tech is having trouble recreating the issue. Please someone do something about this.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 312015

200

My car jerks and/or hesitates while driving. From a complete stop position my car has sputtered without going any place. I would have to turn off my vehicle in the middle of the road and turn it back on so I can get it to go. I have a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment and you can hear it clearly coming from the passenger side with the windows down. A brand new car and it has a lot of tranny issues. The 9 speed automatic is the worst design with major flaws. Chrysler doesn't do anything unless it throws a code. 15 times in the repair shop and it is still there with the same issue that no tech can figure out. Please someone do something about this. The buyback program they offer is a sham don't believe them.

- West Haven , CT, USA

Mar 182015

200

Driving down highway car just shuts off and are stuck in middle of road, car wont restart and have to wait 15min then it will restart. You can not push car off road. Have contacted Chrysler after 4 times to dealer ship for same problem and have been told can't duplicate or don't know what is wrong with it. Chrysler has opened up 2 cases and still no resolution. They declined to buyout the vehicle or replacement. I get same story, bring it in for service and we are sorry. No you will be sorry when my wife and kids are injured in this defective car. There has been numerous time of broken down on road and having dump truck or 18 wheelers dodging my car to avoid accidents. They have replaced computer, transmission parts and sensors. I truly believe it will never be fixed. Need to get the word out and Chrysler needs to be held responsible. I urge everyone to avoid these cars, unsafe and accident waiting to happen and dealership and Chrysler does not care!!!

- Brownsmills, NJ, USA

Aug 282015

200

I was stopped at stop sign when I took foot off brake pedal to accelerate it couldn't get traction with back tiers it felt like the back right tire locked up and it jerked back and forth until I took foot off accelerator. I stopped but couldn't see anything wrong. This happened on 8-28-15. On 8-29-15 was in a drive thru and when car is in park and I put in drive it makes a clicking sound from engine and car jerks somewhat with my foot on the brake. I have noticed that when I accelerate it hesitates to go. I am very concerned about this problem because I am almost scared to drive it because of the hesitation to go, and could cause a wreck if the tire thing happens again.

- Cordele, GA, USA

Aug 052015

200

Smoke started coming out of the front window defroster air vent while driving. The air conditioner was on a low setting at the time and set on defrost.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

Mar 232015

200

I was at a stop sign with my spouse and I was taking a right hand turn. The car didn't move at all then all of a sudden it lunged forward causing us to jerk back and forth. I still have lower back pain because of this and my spouse neck was hurting for a couple of weeks. Other than that I have several issues that had yet to be resolved. There is a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment. They told me it was a knock and I have tried different brands of gas and it 's still there. The car still lunges forward from a stop even though it has had an update on its system multiple times. When you put the car in park it rolls forward quite a bit. 2 times it jumped out of park and into reverse. I have had an airbag issue 5 times and today it is at the dealership to be repaired again. It is the right side airbag. Connectors were changed and wiring 4 times. Car hesitates a lot especially from a stand still. I have almost gotten into accidents due to the fact that when I was taking a left on a major road from a complete stop the car rolled a little and didn't go. It hesitated jerked hard and went really slow. A grinding noise came from the tranny. Another issue I have is that my car vibrates. I don't have no ac nor radio on and it just vibrates. The tech told me that Chrysler star will not do anything for my vehicle just updates. I'm paying for a car that spends about a week in the shop once a month since April. No one can figure it but they can hear the rattling and feel the sound. I even had one tech told me that I should deal with it that I am not the only one complaining but star isn't going to do anything about it. Yet again it is at the shop today getting an update and the airbag being repaired.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Aug 192015

200

My car just turned off on me and when I tried to start it back it kept making a clicking sound. The dash then said engine warming please wait. So sfter about 10 minutes it finally turned on. Later that day it turned off agaun while sitting at a stop sign and yook about another 5 minutes to cine

- Huntsville, TX, USA

200

On 8/17/15, I barely made around the corner from my work when I came to a stop at a stop sign and my car just shut off. Took a few times pressing the button to get it started again but finally started again and made it home safely. Next morning I drove to the end of my street and stopped at a stop sign and again my car shut off and this time took 5 minutes to get it started again.....I was told to bring my car in to be checked by dealership on 8/20 asked if they would supply me a loaner car until the problem is resolved and they told me no because I didn't purchase an extended warranty. Since when do I need to purchase an extended warranty for a car that has a manufactured warranty still on"?" I purchased the car in May 2015 and it has barely 7000 miles on it....I feel unsafe driving my car home today as I made safely to work however I worry that it may shut off again when I am in an intersection or a highway.

- Douglassville, PA, USA

200

I typed in a complaint for the 15th and 17th but put the wrong VIN number.

200

On a busy four lane avenue, my car just stopped. Would not restart. Had to call police and they blocked traffic moved off of highway. Could have been a very serious accident. I have taken the car to the dealer twice complaining that the engine light kept coming on.

Aug 152015

200

Car cut off at a stop sign. Restarted.

Jul 052015

200

At the time of incident, the car was 11 months old. I was driving at 50 mph when the engine stalled and would not start again. It shook and sputtered continuously when attempting to start. I had the vehicle towed to the nearest dealership. It was returned to me after one day of repairs. I drove six miles and parked at a shopping center. When attempting to leave the shopping center parking lot, the vehicle once again refused to start, even though I was told it had been repaired. I had it towed again. The vehicle underwent repairs and testing for an entire week before being returned to me yet again. I have driven the vehicle since then with no apparent issues, but the problem I encountered must be prevented before it occurs. It was life-threatening, and it would be even more so had I been driving at freeway speeds or parked in dangerous surroundings.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jul 022015

200

The placement of the shift paddles (sport shift model Chrysler 200S) has caused two near accidents for me. These paddles (+ and -) are located on the back of the steering wheel on both the right and left sides, just above the control buttons on the back for the sound system. While driving East bound on 16 mile road, I thought I was changing the channel of my radio station, instead I hit the paddle, this stopped my acceleration and my vehicle slowed down, I tried to accelerate again, instead the rpms went up. I did not know how to adjust and was in the left (fast) lane where I had to pull off into the 'Michigan left' lane, I then turned off the car and restarted it again. This happened again on hall road approximately two weeks later, fortunately I was slowing down anyway to turn on to a street. I believe most of the functions in this car are ergonomically wrong. The 'dial' to park, neutral, reverse, drive is just a few inches away from the air flow dial. I have looked behind the car to be sure there were no pedestrians / vehicles and while my head was turned, my hand turned the dial for air flow instead of the dial for reverse. The emergency parking brake is a small pull button just a few inches away as well. I have had a passenger try to pull it as they asked what it was...

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Aug 292014

200

When I first got the car it was scary to drive for me.it is slow to pick up when I give it gas and is jerky while driving like a standard. It progressively got worse. While driving and then slowing down it would speedup quickly instead of slowing down.I had to keep pumping the brake then it would slow down. Then while driving the engine icon came on. Made an appointment with the service center at the dealership. They checked it out and told me it was only number that accidentally came on when someone moved the gearshift button while I was driving. I drive alone 99 percent of the time and this didn't happen. They told me the icon was out and would never come on again. Less than a mile down the road while leaving it came on again. So I turned around and took it back. They put it on the machine again and said it was the transmission. They would have to order the part and fix it when it came in. I asked if I should be driving it until then and they said yes it would not hurt anything. A week later they called and had it a week. Saying it was the O-rings and seals in the transmission. I picked it up today and it still worries me to drive it. It sounds louder and makes noise when I turn it off and on. It sounds and feels like it is in fast gear and not idling down when you turn it off and on. I don't feel safe while driving this car and I bounce up and down while driving on the highway which didn't bounce before. The tires feel like they hit each bump hard. Chrysler recalled the programming about 2 months ago, I am not sure what it was but they said it was fixed but it has gotten worse that is when the trouble started.

- Gilbert, WV, USA

Aug 042015

200

Had a doctor's appt. Leaving home 2min. Into drive car didn't go over 5mi. Stopped car ran throw gears until I felt it catch, brakes fade sitting at a light, car speeds up going down hill, smell of burning wires 6/28/2015.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 212015

200

Car turn off while driving, happen now 3X. (7/21,7/30,8/2)

- Phila, PA, USA

May 072015

200

The engine slips into neutral state while driving. First the "service park brake" indicator came on followed by "service transmission". then the shift indicator lights all turned on (P, N, D, S ). it was then necessary to coast to the shoulder. Once while on the expressway. Turned engine off and on and still all shift indicator lights remained illuminated. It stayed in this condition so the car could not be re-started. Roadside assistance pulled the lead off the battery to reset. My vehicle is now in the shop for the 3rd time for the same problem. Prior to the vehicle stalling completely there were 2 or 3 instances where I was able to shift to neutral and then to drive without having to pull over, I thought it was something I was doing until I realized I had bigger problems.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Jul 272015

200

Leaving for work in the am, started my 2015 Chrysler 200, reversed out of my driveway, made it to the corner of my cul de sac and the engine completely shut off. There was a message in the display including the words "trans, " and "emergency park." The entire electrical system shut down and the emergency brake engaged. I could not put the car in park because the gear system was locked up. When the tow truck arrived he had a hard time with it because the emergency brake would not release, and the wheels would not roll. I couldn't move this car if I wanted to. I couldn't open the trunk, lock the doors, use flashers, nothing... anything electrical was out of commission. My local Chrysler dealership had the car for two days, said they "performed many software upgrades" and "test drove it extensively" and that it was fixed. 20 minutes after I picked it up, I was driving in the center lane of a 3-lane highway, with my 4 year old and 1 year old in the car, and the engine shut down and the car's power and electrical system shut down also. Luckily, I was able to coast into a parking lot. I had the car towed back to the dealer again. The manager of the dealership said if it happens again, I can replace the car or they will buy it back. I am terrified to drive this car again. I was lucky the first time, barely lucky the second time, who knows what situation I might be in if I agree to let this happen again? I cannot put my children in this car again. This vehicle is a substantial safety risk, and also poses additional risks to other drivers on the road around it. Since everything shuts off when this happens, if I were to get into a crash as a result of it, the airbags likely would not deploy, adding to the risk of injury. I do not feel comfortable in a Chrysler 200, I no longer want this vehicle.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

May 052015

200

I was made aware of a recall effecting certain VIN#S in the model year 2015 Chrysler 200 line. This recall was for "contaminated, dislodged or broken parking pawl or park rod (NHTSA recall id 15V-090): ". when I search by my VIN# I do not see that mine is included but I can tell you from shortly after purchasing the vehicle until now, on a weekly basis I will pull into a parking spot/driveway and put my car in park and it will continue to roll forward or backward 1-3 feet before it actually stops moving. It seems to me that either the dealership failed to inspect this car properly before we purchased it or that that there are more VIN#S that should be evaluated for the issue. I would be happy to take my car to the dealership so that they can experience what this car does.

- Akron, OH, USA