2005 Chrysler 300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler 300:

2005 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

May 042010

Car blew up.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 012010

My headlights have been flickering on an off too lately. I have no brights and I can't control my park lights or my regular lights. I'm a little scared to drive at night. It's obviously electrical, but I haven't taken it in yet because it's going to cost $.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Mar 062010

300 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler 300 touring head lights and dash lights flicker my rear windows barley has power. I've replaced my battery 3 times recently my car lost power while I was driving I made a turn and everything went dead. I've complained to Chrysler they say there is a recall for battery cables but not for my car no reported issues with my car but if you google it I've found thousands of complaints for that same issue..I guess lots of people have to die to get this recall in motion I hope not..thanks

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Nov 032009

November 3,2009 automobile was a 2005 Chrysler 300 touring series. Was driving on interstate 57 South bound and the car caught fire in the rear trunk on the passenger side, where the battery is stored. Car was completely destroyed, there was a recall on these cars in 2005 and I was never informed. It recall stated that about 20,000 units were effected by the possible defect in assembly, and the recall stated that the battery cables could possibly come off causing fires. And Chrysler said it was not a defect.

- Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Jul 152008

Last summer I was driving toward my grandson's ballgame. I slowed to make a left turn. Suddenly, I lost power steering, power brakes and air conditioning. However, my motor was still running. The next day I took the vehicle to a dealer and was told there were no code showing anything had happened. It is very dangerous, particularly for my wife who would probably panic or not have the strength to control the vehicle. Others have had this problem from reading complaints. Afterwards, I had to replace an O2 sensor for the 3rd time and then replaced the evaporator on the ac.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 312008

Electrical fire began in engine compartment due to grounding failure in that negative battery cable was consumed w/ no damage to positive cable or surrounding area. Vehicle was declared a total loss.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 022008

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the fuel gauge became inoperable. Also, the theft auto light illuminates intermittently on the instrument panel. While driving 35 mph, the fuel gauge indicated that the fuel tank was half full; however, the vehicle sputtered before coming to a stop. Upon further investigation, it was deemed that the vehicle had in fact run out of fuel. Once fuel was placed in the vehicle, the engine started immediately. This is the second occurrence of this failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 54,000.

- Palmetto, GA, USA

May 272008

300 6-cyl

A smell of burning wire in the passenger cabin. A yellow light cane on the dash. The passenger cabin filled up with smoke. The car quit running on the road. The trunk had popped open. That cabin was full of smoke. The car was completely dead.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Aug 312007

300 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 2005 Chrysler 300 which suffers from electrical system failure under power, leaving me with no control over the vehicle. It has been into the shop five separate times for this problem, and has not as yet been repaired. However, this is not the main complaint I am contacting you regarding, even though it is in itself extremely hazardous. In this instance, when it was brought into the dealership for electrical failure, the repair technician was pulling it into the shop to look at it, and the left front control arm on the vehicle snapped in two. Upon observation, it was found that the right front control arm was severely bent and ready to snap. The replacement control arms are twice the thickness, and twice as heavy, as the original. This is proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Chrysler not only knew that the original control arms were defective and/or ineffective, but that Chrysler corrected the problem without the issuance of a recall for the said defective/ineffective part. Breaking control arms on the vehicle constitute a known vehicular hazard that can cause injury, death, and property damage. I hereby request that the NHTSA consider this a formal complaint and request for immediate safety recall for the 2005 Chrysler and any other of the Chrysler vehicle(s) which may use the same control arms, part number 4782561ae, in the interest of safety. This defect endangers not only the driver and passengers of the vehicle itself, but also other drivers who may be in the way when the control arms snap. When I contacted Chrysler about the problem I was told that it was just "too bad? and that I could not prove I had not done something which caused the problem. Even though I advised them I knew that they had replaced their inventory with bigger, stronger control arms. Utilizing the ?reasonable person" legal tenant, any reasonable person would understand that Chrysler is trying to deny responsibility for their defective vehicle.

- Golden , CO, USA

Jul 132007

300 8-cyl

300 C fails to start after four dealer attempts to fix what was diagnosed as an "electrical problem" - a fifth occurrances documented on 9/4/07 is yet to be resolved by dealer since car parked inside garage will not start

- Dayton, OH, USA

Dec 052006

300 6-cyl

My 2005 Chrysler 300 limited with 41,000 miles has had numerous problems. The latest problem is with the keyless remote entry keyfobs. Both fobs now do not work. The control panel indicated the battery was low. After replacing the battery, the panel still indicated the battery was low. After opening the spare fob to replace its battery, found the housing that holds the battery had completely separated from the circuit board. Took the car back to the original dealership, where all the other problems have been dealt with. The dealership told me since my car was now out of warranty (the car is only a little over 2 years old), I would have to pay $311 for two new key fobs and programming. In the meantime, I am dealing with locking the car, and then unlocking it through the door, letting the horn sound and the lights flash, looking as if I am stealing my own car until I can drop all my packages in my hand and get in behind the wheel and insert the key into the ignition. Other problems, after 15,000 miles, the Continental self sealing tires had to be replaced. Fight for this problem with Continental people! after numerous phone calls and faxes, Continental did replace the tires at a charge of $250 for four new tires. The navigation system on this car was replaced three times. The button which controls the view broke all three times. All the speakers have been replaced in the car. Since it is now out of warranty, they can't be replaced again. They sound awful and that is the way they have to stay until I can afford to upgrade my "premium" Chrysler stereo system with a premium system from an electronic store. The sunroof was not closing properly. Took it to the dealership before the warranty expired. They performed a "software update" and supposedly fixed the issue. Two weeks later, I took the car through a car wash and was flooded with water coming through the sunroof. Z

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Oct 152006

300 6-cyl

For about 7 days now the instrument panel consistently flickers causing complete loss of electronic stability to vehicle. Occurrence most active between 15 - 50 mph including slowing to a complete stop. Engine does not appear to be directly affected by this failure and continues to be functional and operative. Esp/bas illuminated and did not shut off after first occurrence. All occurrences there after esp/bas does not illuminate. Parts affected during failure: Speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, air conditioner, stereo, entire sensor cluster, engine temperature gauge, signal / lighting cluster. Vehicle has history of esp/bas sensor illumination on occasion when vehicle is started. Usually occurs when engine hesitates to start and shutters before completing full start. Dealership has never been able to replicate nor find any of these failures during diagnostics tests in the past. Will be bringing vehicle back in for another test and inspection a.S.a.P.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Aug 142006

300 4WD

I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 touring edition, which I purchased in Nov. 2004. In Oct. 2005, I took my car into the local dealership because I was experiencing difficulties with my interior and exterior lights flickering. At that time, I was told by the dealership that they flashed the computer and the problem was corrected. Then about 3-4 months ago, I took my car back to the dealership because I was experiencing problems with my stereo. There are times that I get into my car and I do not have sound and none of the functions will work. I then have to manually turn the stereo off and back on for it to work. But unfortunately, I was told that since the problem was not occurring at that time, there was nothing that could be done. Well this past Sunday I was driving late at night, and all of my lights went completely out, and everything on the dash went out. My speedometer and gauges went to zero, then warning indicators started flashing. Once again, I took my car to the dealership and I was told that several codes were stored in the computer but at that time they could not fix the problem because they weren't sure of the exact problem. I was told to continue driving the car and hopefully it will occur again and they will be able to find out the problem. At this point I am becoming frustrated with my car and I am ready to trade it in.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Feb 122006

300 6-cyl

Getting ready to go to a basketball game and at the stop sign yards from our home the inside of the car went black then the lights flickered and went black again. The car then starting smoking from behind the car dash. We managed to push the car back into the carport but we couldn't understand why a 2005 model would do something like that. So we got on the internet started searching for answers and came upon a recall that involved electrical wiring problem that if not fixed it could cause damage to the dash and cause a fire. At the time I had a seven year old in the car and this could have been worse if we headed out any further and then the car broke down.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 052005

300 8-cyl

Ongoing problem Chrysler 300C...heater control panel gets so hot you can't touch it for extended periods (you can smell the hot plastic or electrical materials. When the problem occurs, headlight switch also gets quite warm. At same time, random other problems occur...seats forget settings, back up warning fails (my wife relied on this because of high back end and backed into a concrete post damaging rear bumper; we now do not trust it) radio errors reported, windows stop working or go in both directions with one push of button to name a few.. in addition, problems with engine warning light coming on.. engine sputters and quits. If turned off and restarted, problem corrects itself but, according to dealer, throws strange error codes into computer. Problem reported to several dealers. Main one acknowledges and has seen/felt heat problem. Can not locate problem..they suggest contacting Chrysler customer service who simply say to call dealer. Dealer also reports that Chrysler engineering can not or will not help them.

- Laurier, WA, USA

Oct 242005

300 6-cyl

Vehicle just shuts off while driving with no indication or no reason...lose all steering and brakes. Able to wait a of couple minutes and vehicle will start up again but then will shut off while driving.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Oct 012004

I have had my rear view mirror replaced because the sensor went, sunroof replaced several times, passenger window on the driver side sometime inoperable, interior lights come in when you lock, car has cut off exiting a major highway and just waiting, steering wheel shaking and pulling to the right, air bag passenger light come on, has been to two dealership, notified man via phone and E-mail--had to file a complaint with attorney general for new car lemon.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Aug 162005

300 8-cyl

Seat/mirrors, pedal, radio & steering column remote memory settings do not operated when pressing the open button on key. Does work when using buttons on left door. Dealer unable to repair. Dealer contacted mfg rep. Still unable to repair. Dealer rep said they checked memory settings on four other new vehicles in stock. Memory would not work on any model 300 vehicles.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

Aug 282005

300 8-cyl

4/04 my wife and I purchased a Chrysler 300C at riverfront Chrysler, we reported to them on numerous occasions the car stalls out when making a left or right turn, dealer claims it was a hose causing stall, when car stalled again dealer claimed it was control module when car stall again dealer claim to see no duplicating problem this has been going back and forth for months now other electrical problems are happening the horn don't blow all the time the back driver window don't always work, passenger airbag light goes off and on, driver door misaligned car brakes and tires are giving us problems.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Nov 052004

300 6-cyl

(1) when stopped at a light the engine intermittently vibrates and runs rough for a few seconds and almost stalls then idles normally. Also sometimes the engine will stall out when driving. Vehicle was brought back to the dealer several times. Dealer did a computer modification #489614A1 but condition persists. (2) air conditioning. When stopped at a traffic light in gear or in neutral, the air conditioning compressor cycles on for 15 seconds and then off for 5 seconds. Each time the ac cycles on there is a clunk and vibration & grinding thru the steering column and brake pedal. The dealer installed an ac compressor pulley kit. Condition still persists. (3) when the vehicle slows down from 12 mph to 3 mph whether in drive or neutral with or without applying the brakes there is a vibration and whine noise coming from the front thru the steering column. The dealer said it was from the tires and rotated and balanced them several times. The condition still persists.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA