2006 Chrysler 300 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300:

2006 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jun 182013

300 6-cyl

I went to shift my vehicle out of park and realized that the shifter would not move. I tried multiple times and had no luck. I was forced to take the shifter covers off and manually pull the release cable in order to put the car into drive. I called Chrysler and was told that a diagnosis alone would be $135 dollars. I decided to bring the car to my own mechanic and he discovered that the shift interlock latch was causing the problem. He looked up a recall for 2005-2007 Chrysler and told me that Chrysler would be able to fix it. I called Chrysler and they told me that since my car was produced in Canada, it did not meet the requirements for the recall, even though it was the same exact part used on the U.S. assembly lines. Chrysler says they are well aware of the shift interlock latch being faulty but refuses to take responsibility. There are many owners out there with the same problem posting to online forums. Chrysler needs to fix this issue!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 212013

300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while parked, the gear shifter would not shift into reverse. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the shifter installation kit would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70, 313.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 222013

• 1,063,434 miles
On 5/22/2013 I went to the store, and when I came out I was unable to get the vehicle out of park. We had to have the vehicle towed home. It has been confirmed that the problem is the transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook. Which has been in a recall that doesn't include my VIN. The dealership states it would have to charge for a new gear shift assembly, which could cost upwards of $400. The dealership and also a customer rep for Chrysler states this is a very common problem, but only some vehicles are covered in a recall, but as I stated, my Chrysler 300's VIN is not included is recall #K39.

- Yulee, FL, USA

Feb 132013

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle could not be shifted out of park. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not under recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was approximately 64,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Dec 092012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to be started but the gear shift seized in park. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 95,000.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 042012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle could not be shifted from drive to park. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where the transmission shift leader and the interlock lever spring hook was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 134,000.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Sep 212012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the gear shifter had become stuck in park, causing the vehicle to become inoperable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 66,000.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Sep 082012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle became stuck in park and could not be shifted into any other gears. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission) and contacted the manufacturer who advised that the contact's VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 102,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jul 102007

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the gear shifter lever failed to operate unless the shifter cover was removed and the cable was loosened. When driving in cold weather temperatures, the transmission would cause the vehicle to jerk with hesitation. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id numbers 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission); however the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for repair. In addition, both engine fan motors failed to operate and one of the plastic fan motor blades caused a burning odor whenever driving. In addition, the fog light lens cover was melted. The contact replaced both fog light assemblies. The vehicle was repaired at an independent repair shop. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Mar 092012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contac mentioned that the ABS, dsp, and check engine warning lights were illuminated. The dealer was made aware of the failure and told the contact to call NHTSA to file a safety complaint and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and offered no additional assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Dayton , OH, USA

Aug 252012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300 touring. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift from the park position after turning the vehicle on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 7,800.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 102012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the shift lever was stuck in park. As a result, she was unable to start the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local shop. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 44,000.

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Aug 122012

300 6-cyl

When I went to start it was stuck in park. The same year, same car has a recall for the shifter interlock lever which does this same thing. I will take it apart and try to fix it on the assumption that it is this interlock lever. Chrysler says my VIN does not have a recall however I am having the same problem and should be included.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Aug 042012

300 6-cyl

Car was park in my driveway. My gear shift won't move out of park. Unable to move at all.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jul 052012

300 6-cyl

Chrysler 300 with 73000 miles, suddenly will not shift out of park. Internet research show service bulletin K39 for just such problem. Contacted dealer, was told that my VIN does not qualify for free repair. (what VIN # does qualify?) quoted $450+. more internet research found details of broken "pink pulley mechanism". removed silver plastic bessel from around gear shifter, I can see the broken part. Mechanic video on you tube showed me how to bypass the problem. Stick a long handled screw driver down in the hole directly beside the shifter when in park, between the shifter and the cable running from front to back. Start the car, press the break, and lightly move the cable towards the steering wheel while pulling the gear shift into gear. Works every time. Will not damage the vehicle. I'll wait until the inevitable recall happens, and I can make Chrysler fix it for free. Sad, I love this car, but will not purchase another Chrysler when the times comes to trade because of poor customer service.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jun 072012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of park. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer stated that they needed to replace shift assembly kit. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was contact and stated that the VIN was not included in any recalls. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Brownsburg , IN, USA

Aug 012012

300

The shifter is stuck in park and won't move. From what I can tell many people are having this problem due to some faulty pink latch in the shifter.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 272012

300 6-cyl

I went home for lunch Friday, July 27, afterwards I could not get my car out of park. I called for a tow truck, and the driver showed me how to get my car out of park with a screw driver. He also told me that the Chrysler, and Dodge had been recalled for this shifter problem. I drove my car to the dealership and had them to search for a recall. They couldnot find any, I had my care repaired for $381. I went home and a friend with a 2008 Dodge avenger said he had this repaired (under recall) on his vehicle in 2011 at the same dealership that I had mine repaired(at my expense). There are dozens of complaints for this, but owners are being told that their (VIN) is not a part of the recall. How can I have the right make, model, and year vehicle and have the same problem, and be excluded from the recall"???"

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 182012

300 6-cyl

Shifter will not move from park position.

- Valley Lee, MD, USA

Jul 182012

300

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that his vehicle was stuck in park. Both the dealer and manufacturer were notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 66,000.

- Gordonsville, VA, USA