2011 Chrysler 300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 300:

2011 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Sep 122014

300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While driving approximately 60 mph, the collision, ABS, and traction warning indicators illuminated. Additionally, the power steering failed and the wipers activated independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000. Updated 10/31/14 updated 4/28/2015

- Ranson, WV, USA

Aug 202014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While driving 30 mph, all the electrical components of the vehicle failed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Tolleson, AZ, USA

Jul 312014

300 6-cyl

While driving on a freeway at about 10:30 pm my headlights shut off. My console went black and unresponsive, the brake light kept flashing, the car was dinging before any of the emergency lights came on, the windows weren't working consistently, the A/C stopped working, and eventually the check engine, ABS, and traction control lights came on. I was able to exit and get the car to a gas station. The car would not restart after I turned it off. The car was towed to the closest dealer that night. The immediate response the next morning was that this was probably the alternator because they had seen a lot of similar problems. Four days later the dealer confirmed that the alternator was gone and that the battery would also need to be replaced. At my request Chrysler was contacted and the nearly $1000 repair bill was reduced to a third with Chrysler picking up all but the diagnostics and the cost of the battery and the labor to install it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 292014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who stated that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,500.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA

Jul 182014

300 6-cyl

I was on interstate 40 when I noticed a whining noise coming from my vehicle just as I took my exit. I was able to make it to my destination when I noticed a burning smell coming from under the hood. I went to the nearest gas station and soon as I pulled in my vehicle began shutting down. The message said it could not detect my key and it was going into battery saving mode. Shortly after that, all power was lost and I was unable to restart the vehicle, I was unable to roll up my windows and lock my doors. It was after midnight when this occurred and the gas station was closed I had to enlist help from strangers to try and figure out the problem to no avail. I ended up staying at a hotel overnight and the next morning I was able to get a jump and get to the nearest auto parts store where they tested the battery and determined the alternator was failing. I am now in a position where I cannot drive my vehicle with the lights on, which means I cannot drive at night I can't use the ac and it is July, or drive with the radio on until I am able to replace the alternator. I am running off of battery power alone until this problem gets fixed.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 132014

300 6-cyl

First noticed a "whining" noise when idling that increased as I accelerated. I had a burning smell, not sure how it was related. Next sign of trouble was "battery saver mode" message on electronic display. Soon after, reverse camera stopped working, the radio turned off by itself, rear defroster and other electrical components didn't work. Last sign was traction control & ABS lights flashed on and off randomly. Right as I pulled into the dealership, car completely lost power (no steering, wipers came on, all lights on dash flashed and headlights were flashing). 2 dealerships told me they haven't heard of this but online searches seemed to indicate a problem with alternator and battery.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jul 112014

300

The first occurred 4 days earlier and it had burnt out my battery. I was told by the dealership that it was the alternator and they could not repair it until next week and had no loaner car for me. I had the battery replaced and the electrical system checked. They told me the electrical system checked out on the computer, was working as designed and must of been the battery. While driving on interstate 4 days later, battery indicator light illuminated along with the ABS and anti-skid lights. Windshield wipers came on, radio cut off and then lost power and acceleration. Coasted to side of highway and opened the hood where there was the odor of electrical short and burning. This is the same thing that happened 4 days earlier. When I took it back to the dealer was told by service personnel that they have been having the same problem with this same year and model vehicles. Mileage is 36,800.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Jul 052014

300 6-cyl

While coming a stop, the instrument panel showed a 'system error' light and the vehicle shut down. It would not restart and was completely dead. Traffic was impeded and a series of accidents were narrowly avoided. After towing it to the dealer, I'm told that the likely culprit is the alternator which "are known to go out on these cars, right around the expiration of the warranty, " according to the service technician. Warranty on this part is 36,000 miles and my car was at 36,650 miles. After yelling and screaming, the technician said he could lower the cost from $1,100 to $900. When pressed, he said the price for the alternator alone was $600, excluding any labor. I am furious that this is a 'known problem' and yet there has been no recall and from the list of other complainants on this site, it's obvious that this is a consistent and dangerous problem. I believe that the NHTSA needs to review this problem and address it. My options are limited. I need my car back. Hopefully, when I get it returned to me, the problem will be gone. Buyer beware, apparently, this is a dangerous and pervasive problem.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Jun 172014

300 6-cyl

My radio shut off while I was driving and then the battery saver mode came on the dashboard. I called the dealer while I was driving. They said they never heard of that issue and bring it next day to be checked. While I attempting to turn my car lost all power and locked up in the intersection. I had no steering and every light turned on in the dashboard. I was then stuck in the middle of an intersection on an 8 lane highway. A separate accident was caused by this because I couldn't even get the flashers to work. Luckily the dealer was right up the street and they were able to push it out of the intersection and get it to the dealership. I was called the next day and told the alternator was bad and it would cost $800 to replace it. How does this happen on a newer car and obviously this is a problem based on what I have read about others exact same experience.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 092014

300

Radio shut off. All of a sudden there was a picture battery light on the dash. It was raining hard, therefore, I had to pull over because the wipers did not functioned properly due to the problem (it went to a slow motion). As soon as I pulled over, the car shuts off. Had to get my car pushed by a cop and my boyfriend out of a dangerous spot where it left me stuck, towed, taken to the dealer for them to tell me that it is the alternator and repairs are around $800, and a 63$ diagnosis fee! really!? no one has it in stock, and one store told me "there must be something wrong with those alternators because the factory doesn't have them either, sorry you need to call the dealer."

- Toms River, NJ, USA

May 302014

300

While traveling on the highway at 65 miles per hour the radio automatically shut off and the battery saver mode message came on the gauge cluster. Upon my research I found many websites where owners of 2011 Chrysler 300 vehicles reported the same issues. The end result was a bad alternator. The consensus among the complaints is at approximately 40,000 miles the alternator goes bad. As of 05/30/2014 I have not been able to drive my vehicle. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership and the service technician did state that they have been receiving many calls regarding this issue. On this site as of today there are about 7 complaints which were reported recently and wonder if their vehicles also have the same mileage as mine.

- Brawley, CA, USA

May 152014

300 6-cyl

Warning message came on stating battery saver mode. My radio shut off. Could not be turned on. Battery light came on. Have not driven my car since.

- Morris, CT, USA

Feb 102014

300

Today my car didn't want to open with the remote control nor start. I went to the truck because I was going to put some items I had bought and the truck didn't want to open either I had to open the car manually. The battery save mode illumination was on.

Feb 032014

300 6-cyl

After being repaired 3 times of the battery save mode illumination on the panel and the part repaired was the alternator the battery save mode still continues to come on and off and a weird loud noise comes from the front engine. I took it in to have it checked and they told me to make an appointment because they didn't have time to check it that date I asked if I could still drive it around and the service repair specialist said their was no problem, I stated that the manual said the car should not be operated. It is a concern because they are not willing to work with me on my schedule to take the car in nor they offer to give me a rental and that is because I have the extended warranty and it covers a rental.

Feb 102014

300

My car has been illuminating the "battery saving mode" in the dash board for the past 3 months. They have repaired it saying that I have a bad alternator. Well it has been in the shop and again the light is on. I took it to the shop and they said they didn't have time to check it for me to make an appointment and that it was save to drive.

Jan 132014

300

Battery light came on the dash board took into the dealer shop and upon arrival it smelled like burn. The advisor was a witness. The outcome is a bad alternator again. They don't know what is the cause. It was just replaced 3 weeks ago.

Jan 102013

300

Battery sign came on the dash board and a bad loud noise could be heard from the outside of the car. Took to dealership and upon their inspection I was told it was a bad alternator and a bad battery they didn't know what could of caused it.

Oct 102013

300 6-cyl

Alternator caught on fire while engine was stopped\car parked while driving on interstate, the battery indicator came on, indicating a problem with the charging system. I continued on to my destination about 3 miles. When I turned the car off, there was an obvious smell of something being "hot" and I raised the hood to see if I could see it. The alternator was obviously very hot, and slightly smoking. Assuming it was ok now that I had turned it off, I went inside the building to call the dealer. Luckily, I changed my mind about trying to drive the car any further and decided to have the car towed and went outside to wait for the tow truck. When I got back to the car, the alternator had actually caught on fire and was blazing, dropping some melted materials onto a underbody air dam and appeared to be spreading. I was able to extinguish the fire before any more damage occurred. It appears that the alternator is severely damaged and there is some wiring damage as well as some damage to the surrounding wiring harness. There is no doubt that this fire would have spread to the entire vehicle in just a few minutes, as it appeared to be self-propagating and on its own would not have gone out.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jul 292013

300

Back up camera at night turns blue, blurry and red. They say there is nothing wrong with it.

May 012013

300 6-cyl

The contact own a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact received the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 13V118000(air bags). The recall was scheduled to began on April 22, 2013. The remedy part continued to remain unavailable. The contact was notified and stated they were unable to provide an expected date for the parts. There are no failures at this time. The consumer received a recall notice regarding an alternator issue in November 2014, and she hasn't heard anything since. Also, she experienced a problem with the key fob. The battery was replaced three times. However, she continued to experienced problems. Updated 03/04/15.

- Bluefield, WV, USA