2011 Chrysler 300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 300:

2011 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 272016

300

While traveling on the hwy 29 N (the four lane) the ABS, traction control and the battery indicator light illuminated. There was a burning smell and car stopped immediately and all the electronics were gone. I could not put on my emergency blinkers or get the car in gear to push off the highway. This incident put my life in danger and it really could have a tragic ending. With cars on all sides of me, not only was I in danger but I had four passengers in the car with me. Two of them being my small grandchildren. A police officer saw my dilemma and came to our rescue to and assisted us until we got the everyone on the side of the highway. My car was towed to the nearest dealership. At the dealership the service manager said that the alternator shorted out and destroyed my battery. The cost to repair was $1450 I called Chrysler about the electronics and was told my car was not one that had a recall for this problem.. this automobile is totally unsafe to drive at high interstate speeds if the electronics can shut down with little warning.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Jul 312016

300

"takata recall" today Sunday July 31,2016 I was driving my 2011 Chrysler 300 down the street in a lane of busy traffic with my family all of a sudden a red light came on it looked like a battery symbol.so I continued driving hoping to make it home safely with the kids all of a sudden when I made it to the curve in my neighborhood my radio shut down then the all lights lit up in the dashboard area and the car completely shut down in the curve.my car completely lost power and shut down.my emergency flashers wouldn't even work to even notify oncoming drivers pulling up behind me but thank god someone pulled up behind up and helped us by using their emergency flashers until my wrecker arrived.there was also a burning smell coming from my hood.I'm really disappointed by this incident it put my life and my childrens life in danger.I had the Chrysler 300 towed to the shop and I am waiting on their report of what was the cause for my vehicle to fail me in such a dangerous curve and I wish someone would contact me directly about my findings cause this incident could have ended tragically.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 062016

300

The cars altenator failed causing the engine to stall (shut down) we were traveling on the back side of a strip mall on florin road. Popping the hood revealed that there was smoke and a lot of it. We had to pay to get the car towed home.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 242016

300

Alternator burned up during operation disabling car and putting out strong burning smell. Not covered under previous recall.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jun 022016

300

Alternator burned up during operation disabling car, smoke pouring out from under hood with strong burning smell.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 022016

300

Chrysler has a safety recall (P60) for an alternator problem which can cause the alternator to fail causing sudden shutdown of the vehicle and/or fire. The recall specifically states the 160amp alternator is affected, however many drivers are experiencing the exact same problem with the 180amp alternators in the same affected vehicles. On June 2 2011, my car shutdown while I was driving on a very busy street. I then noticed a burning smell, and upon further inspection it appeared to be coming from the alternator. The location of the smell was also confirmed by the tow truck driver. I contacted Chrysler about this but was given no assistance. The cost to repair the damage done to my vehicle exceeds $1000. The result of my vehicle shutting down suddenly could have ended in serious injury or death. Fortunately, my children were not in the car at the time. Chrysler is refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem with the 180 amp alternator in the 300 model.

- Warren, MI, USA

Dec 312015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While parked, the vehicle failed to turn off. The vehicle was equipped with a keyless ignition. In addition, "vehicle not in park" was displayed across the message board even though the gear shifter was shifted into the park position. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that the contact needed to make sure that the gear shifter was firmly in park, but did not diagnose that any part needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 10/06/16

- Hermitage, TN, USA

May 162016

300

For the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my vehicle would make a weird whining noise when I would crank it in the morning. So today while cranking my vehicle I noticed that it was hesitant to start then I received a message on the dashboard stating "battery saver mode". I then noticed the whining noise getting louder and louder and then I started to smell a burning smell that was coming through the vents. I noticed that Chrysler issued an alternator recall for 3.6L vehicles only and I feel that one should be issued to cover those who have the 5.7L vehicles. I've noticed that several individuals have complained about this issue and Chrysler should do something to fix it.

- Waco, TX, USA

May 032016

300

Chrysler safety recall P60 failed twice (NHTSA recall #14V-634). Unfortunately today (less than 1 week after 2nd replacement) the alternator failed again leaving the vehicle acting erratically without power steering or power brakes or the ability the shift gears while driving kids to school. Thankfully it was on local streets and able to pull over safely. Sansone (Chrysler dealership) has now twice performed this Chrysler 300 safety recall P60 (electrical/alternator) repair without success. We have opened a new case with Chrysler asking to have it performed at a trusted repair shop in metuchen and receive reimbursement. They have sent us the authorization. If Chrysler dealerships cannot properly diagnose/repair/replace the safety recall problem/parts installed twice (last one last week) that failed again today, at no cost and without delay, dealer should send a vehicle to pickup the car (it cannot be driven more than a few feet before everything shuts down) and we should be permitted to proceed with a reimbursement option at a trusted repair shop. Apologize if it seems rash, but very upset of the potentially dangerous situation if it had failed on the highway at high speeds.

- Metuchen, NJ, USA

Apr 152015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN not available.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Nov 302015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 132015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the ABS warning light remained illuminated after a manufacturer recall, which did not remedy the failure. The alternator assembly was replaced by the dealer for a manufacturer recall and, months later, the ABS warning light flashed randomly and remained illuminated. Upon making a turn, the ABS brake light flashed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection and diagnostic testing. The contact was not experiencing any failures until the two recall repairs were received from the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- College Park, GA, USA

Oct 302015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled, smoke emitted from under the hood of the vehicle, and the battery saver mode warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery and alternator needed to be replaced. The battery was replaced and the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Smithfield, OH, USA

Nov 032015

300

I was starting my day at 4:00am I auto started my car like I do every day and leave to work. On this day I went to my car and it was off I thought this was odd but I got in my car and it start and I was on my way. I drive 3 miles to work I was at the hill to turn in to when the battery light came on and the car it felt like it was going to stall. At that time I turn to go up the hill and some other light started to flash not even 30 second later the car stopped in the middle of the road the light all went out and I was sitting in the dark I tried to turn on the hazard light but all power was out the car I sat in the middle of the road for over a hour and a half for a tow truck. When the tow truck got there he had trouble trying to get the car on the flat bed the rear tires of the car would not turn so he had to readjust the car several times to get it on the truck.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Nov 032015

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the steering and braking ability seized. The vehicle was unable to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact also stated that the ABS, traction control, and battery saver indicators illuminated a day prior to the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 39,600. Updated 02/02/16

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 012014

300

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 172015

300

Driving vehicle on highway 70 mph, ABS and traction control lights illuminated. Took exit to get off highway and brake light came on. Ac shut off and started high heat output from vents. Radio shut down. Was able to maneuver quickly through traffic to get to safe spot as vehicle shut down. Had vehicle towed and diagnosis was failure of alternator (180 amp) which is not the 160 amp that is on recall - same failure mode. Failure of amp resulted in failure of battery and PCM module ($1400). Fast failure with very little warning.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Aug 012015

300

So, I was parked waiting on hubby to get out of the store, with the car on, since he was just going to pick something up fast, it started to smell, like something was burning, like really bad, even my son, was complaining about the smell. Hubby comes back, and I tell him, and he said it smelled like burnt plastic, so we exit the parking, and on my way home, I felt the car weird, I proceeded, to a drive thru, where the smell came back again, we heard a weird noise, but didn't think any of it, as I was exciting the drive thru, the light of the battery came on, then all the lights in the car popped up, causing the car to stall, I parked, and turned off the car, and popped the hood open, there was smoke and smelled like it was burning, we with our kids got off the car, and waited a couple minutes, I called the Chrysler dealership, and they told me, I had to tow it and take it in.hubby, turned it back on and it started making a loud noise, and the car started getting feeling forced, he turned it off again, and it felt heavy. We waited 20 minutes, and since we were just a block away from home, hubby drove it back home, and since then haven't moved it..

- San Jose , CA, USA

Sep 182014

300

I bought my Chrysler 300 new in 2011. Around September 2013, I started experiencing problems with the alternator. The "battery save mode" light illuminated, then shortly after the alternator light came on. My car then started to loose power, then eventually stop running. Had the car towed to the dealership, which I was told the alternator is bad. A new alternator was installed, not even a month went buy, the new alternator stop working. The dealership installed a second alternator and now I'm having issues with the alternator again, making this 3 alternators installed 1.5 years spread. This is the first and last Chrysler I'll purchase.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 152015

300

Car started smoking on passenger side with no warning and was getting ready to caught on fire..called Chrysler dealership. I don't understand why a recall wasn't send to us on this problem with the alternator. This was very dangerous for me and my family. My husband and I are very upset with this problem not knowing about it. I google this imfor. Not even our dealership told us of this problem. And this is our 3rd one. There has been several complaint about this problem {even fires}. we bought all of our 300 brand new.. and we want to reinbursed for repairs..

- Trenton , TN, USA