2.9

2012 Chrysler 300 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 300:

2012 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments

Nov 062016

300

While driving about 30mpr, car suddenly loss all inside lights, including indicator lights. Within one minutes later, power dropped and car was barely driving. Within the two blocks I had to drive to get home, power continued to drop. No way to control the car; unable to turn off.ignition or put car in park it suddenly began to smoke profusely. Looked like all fluids leaked and car became hot. Then all dash lights came on flashing violently. Car smoked for about 20 minutes or more before it became quiet. Gears would not engage, so it remained in drive the whole time. I kept my foot on brake due to uncertain about what the car would do. It was completely dead but continued to smoke more than 30 more minutes. Was unable to control anything. Could not even operate trunk. I am totally afraid of this car. Towed to dealer. Alternator cost >$1100. Mileage is just over 68000. P60 recall was not assigned to my car due to amp value.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 272016

300

This is the 2nd time I am sending a complaint about the 2012 Chrysler 300's and the safety issues associated. My vehicle has some sort of electrical issue. This electrical issue used to sporadically affect my vehicle in various way, however lately the issues have become more frequent and aggressive. The frequent and aggressive activity are as follows: Sometimes my bluetooth will not connect so I would turn off and restart the vehicle and the bluetooth would immediately connect. Sometimes the power seats will not heat. I would pull over turn off the car and restart the vehicle and it would start heating up. Sometimes the back-up camera flickers and has a severely distorted image. Sometime the image of the camera is perfectly crystal clear. The main concern is my power steering is electric and I do not have a power steering pump. When I am driving and making a turn out of no where the steering gets really tight and I almost have to force the car to turn. When I park the car and let it sit for a while then the steering is fine again. This is a major safety issue. I have had the vehicle serviced and everyone says that the battery alternator and starter are all perfect. They cannot find anything wrong. Clearly there is something wrong with my vehicle. This has been happening since 2013. The attached images show the backup camera flickering and distorted images. Exactly 2 minutes later I restarted the vehicle and the images were perfect. I also have videos to share if needed.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 122016

300

Was driving down the road on a 90 plus degree day with my air on and radio and all of a sudden the radio shuts off the air shuts off and the heat comes on max all by its self.the winsheild wipers come on. I tried to turn them off but I couldnt. Try to roll the window down but it wouldnt work. Lost my power steering. Try to turn but I couldnt went to next drive way where it was wide enough and turned the car was trying to start while all this was going on. I finally got the car where I tried to stop it but it would not so I push the emerency brake and held the brake while I did that also tried to put the car in gear but it would not allow me to in the message area it read service shifter. Finally the car was dying down and all of a sudden it just shut down. I fear driving that car I am traumatized by this and fear my life in that car because I had no control of it and could not shut it off because the push to start was only like a dumbbie button.it would not do anything

- New Haven, MI, USA

Aug 242016

300

Since 2013 I have been experiencing electrical issues with my car. First in 2013 it was very sporadic. The bluetooth and radio would not turn on approximately once every 2 to 4 months so I would turn off the car and restart it and it would connect. This year in January 2016 the fan was not blowing and there was not heat in the vehicle. I turn the car of and restarted it and the fan began to blow immediately. Last week my steering wheel felt like it was not going to complete my left turn and got really tight. Yesterday as I was driving my accelerator and brake began to feel very tight as if they were both getting stiff and the suspension started getting very tight then as I was backing into a parking space my backup camera started flickering like poltergeist. I took the vehicle to check it I needed a battery or a new alternator and they said nope. My battery, my alternator and started are all good. I have been two different places and they told me that I have an electrical issue that has just gone bad over time. I tried to have someone look into it in 2013, but anytime someone held onto the vehicle nothing happened. I just spoke to another mechanic and they said I may need a new PCM. I am not sure what the problem is but would like to get to the bottom of it.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 062016

300

Transmission service warning & engine service lights come on with transmission going out of gear while the vehicle is at speed. Renders the vehicle inoperable and creates a dangerous situation to oncoming and surrounding motorists. Has happened multiple times. Reported to the dealer on three separate occasions. Requires a shut down and restart/reboot with diminished transmission ability. Yellow service engine light and ABS & traction control lights are in the constant on, lighted. Chrysler service codes detect no coded issues. Happening on a greater frequency now, started before 30,000 miles, vehicle now has 43,000 miles on it. Happens in motion, after being parked, just before parking. Frequency is such that I am afraid to drive the vehicle. Chrysler dealer(s) state that do do not have a fix resolved yet for the 2012 models.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Apr 212016

300

(P60/NHTSA 14V-634) I own a 2012 Chrysler 300. While driving about 5 mph in a parking lot, the radio stated cutting on and off, the battery icon flashed on and off and I lost all power to the vehicle. I opened the hood and smoke was coming from the alternator. Aaa came and tried to jump -start the vehicle, but the battery was completely dead. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery was the cause of the failure. The batter and the alternator were replaced. In 2015, a letter was sent to certain Chrysler 300 owners whose vehicle was equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator to take their vehicle to a Chrysler dealer and get the alternator replaced, free of charge. Those of us with a 180 amp alternator did not qualify. Those of us with the 180 amp alternator did not qualify. The same problem that existed with the 160 amp, also exist with the 180 amp alternator. I also have a life- time warranty, but I had to pay for the battery.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Mar 072016

300

On several occasions over the past few weeks, as the car heats up, the ABS fuse seems to lose contact. When this happens, ABS/esp (stability control), forward collision warning, and adaptive cruise disable. It has happened both while stationary and moving. If using adaptive cruise control, acceleration and speed maintenance will stop, and could result in an accident (though it has not yet). A similar Chrysler case has been opened and linked to the police variant of a car on the same platform with same engine. Police cars use Dodge chargers with hemi V8, which is the same platform as the Chrysler 300 with a hemi V8, with mostly cosmetic issues. The fuse is not blown, and upon the car cooling down, the system is restored, however, on journeys in which the engine heat rises, the system goes offline. It seems as though this may be a common issue in this platform, however, the tsb only went to the police car variant of essentially the same car. When the issue happens while the car is moving, if the driver has the brakes applied, a bang/grind/scrape sound (such as what is heard when the ABS actually engages) can be heard.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Feb 142016

300

I was driving my vehicle on a city street when suddenly it started to act strange. The vehicle stability warning light went on and I began to quickly lose power and control of the vehicle. A burning smell was detected and the powertrain began to make unusual noises. Other warning lights began popping randomly and the wipers started on its own. The vehicle then stalled and came to a complete stop. All electrical systems completely shut down. Smelled like something had burned up under the hood. I immediately contacted Chrysler roadside service and had the vehicle towed to a local Chrysler dealership. The Chrysler service department later examined the vehicle and said the alternator had burned up. The alternator also caused damage to my battery. The service department indicated it would cost approximately $1,000 to repair both. The service department also indicated this repair is not covered by warranty or recall. I told the service department I was aware Chrysler had recalled almost 1/2 million vehicle for the same exact alternator problem (recall P60). I contacted Chrysler customer service and they indicated nothing can be done because my vehicle was not on the P60 recall list. They provided me a case number for the initial roadside service/tow (#28743527) and indicated no other case number would be generated. Although my vehicle is not on Chrysler's recall list, the electrical problems experienced by my vehicle was identical to the alternator/electrical problems identified in other Chrysler vehicles having the same model/engine specifications.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jan 292016

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. After the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes), the ABS and electronic stability control lights remained illuminated. Also, the vehicle would vibrate and pull to the right when engaging the brake pedal. The vehicle was not taken back to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,964.

- Tarboro, NC, USA

Aug 262015

300

Was driving the vehicle and it started to stall. Managed to get it to a parking lot where it died out. Thought it was the battery got a new one to move from the parking lot. Proceeded to drive the car home from the parking lot about 1 mile away. It started to give out and stall again so I pulled over. Popped the hood open and the altanator was smoking so I turned the car off. Even after I turned it off it still smoked and sounded like it was cracklings like a fire luckily it did not catch on fire. My question is if there's recalls on 2011-2014 Chrysler 300 altanators why is there not one on my car?

- Pala, CA, USA

Jun 302015

300

Around 3 weeks ago. My ESC light came on I wasn't sure exactly what it was at first. I did a search on the internet and noticed that there was information about a recall regarding ESC light. So I called the recall phone number and they checked with the glendale Chrysler and set me up a appointment for one week later at 9am. The day I went to the glendale location when I arrived I went up and spoke with the person who was handling my situation. I thought being that I had the 9am appointment and I waited one week I would be the first priority. Instead several people went ahead of me and they didn't even look at my car till 1pm. At the end of everything I was told I would have to pay to get this problem fixed. I felt as if they was not really trying to help me and tried to come up with another reason why the light was on. So I went home and called the recall number back and explained to them I wasn't comfortable with the situation. So they called the downtown la location and they said they don't have the part and they cant order the part. The representative then called the inglewood location and they said they would forward the information to the supervisor and someone would get back in a couple of days. That call was made on wed July 15th and as of today July 20th I have not heard anything. From what I understand this light coming on can cause loss of control of the vehicle and I cant get any help with fixing this situation.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 052015

300

While driving on parkway, battery light saver comes on car, instrument panel goes hay wire just starts lighting up gauges going crazy. Steering wheel locks up car cuts off, lucky I was the only vehicle on the road manage to stop car bye hitting a embankment, when I pulled over black smoke was coming from the hood. Could smell something electric burning. Car cut off and would not start had toed to the dealer.

- Carnegie , PA, USA

Feb 222015

300 6-cyl

We left our home to run an errand away from home. We were on our way back home when in my car we heard a bell or like a ring.. all of a sudden our car stalled in the street while we were driving it car turned off and my husband could not get it in gear or stopped. The radio turned off the lights went off & heater came on I started smelling something burning and then my husband tried to start the car it started then stopped and then he wasn't able to stop it my daughter and I started flipping out both crying we were scared in traffic and our car just stopped and we could not even get it out of neutral. We called the roadside assistance and a wrecker came in the mean time we are broken down in a very bad of town stranded. We had the car towed to tomball Dodge where we bought it from. We let the dealership know that this is our one and only car and we have no other means of transportation and we needed everything handled quickly and we need a rental car or a courtesy car or something. Dealership told us they have to get with Chrysler as there was a re-call on the alternator - we also called the Chrysler recall assistance team and told them what has happened and they said the dealership has called them. Problem is we looked the recall up on safercar and there is no remedy not yet available so according to the Chrysler recall center they will be putting on another defective alternator since remedy is not available. Very very unsafe and can't seem to get any answers from any one. In the mean time I am the one suffering here a. with no car and B not even a rental due to the fact that Chrysler can't figure it out. In the meantime me and my daughter will be driving in an unsafe vehicle until Chrysler has a remedy. Thank god! we had just exited the freeway and were down on feeder or our car would have shut down on a major highway and we could have been killed.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 312015

300 6-cyl

First my car displayed "battery saver mode", next the radio shuts off, the ABS, ebs, and check engine light comes on, then the car automatically and completely shuts off with no other warning.

- Dededo, GU, USA

Oct 052014

300

Was driving along doing about 45mph when my (ABS) light came on and then 10 seconds later my battery light then 5 seconds later all electrial components failed. (lights, power stearing) the car went dead and I was coasting down from 45mph at night totally blacked out with my child in the car. I was nearly hit by another car trying to stear the car to the shoulder. It drained the battery down to nothing and I smelled something burning with minor smoke under hood. No actual fire that I could see. Had to replace battery at 179 dollars and with estimate from dealer around 800.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 282013

300

I came to a stop at a four way intersection. I accelerated to turn at about 5mph instead of the car turning the steering locked up for about 1-2 seconds. Then drove normal until I got to my destination which was a few minutes away & turned the car off. I got off the car & went into the store. Went I finished shopping I returned to the car & tried to start it up. It would not start & steering wheel & brakes were locked. The power steering light, stability control & brake lights would blink & say service engine. About an hour into this I tried to turn the car on. It turned on but the steering wheel was barley turnable I tried to move it a few inches. For the wrecker service personal once I moved it the cars steering was back to normal & working. I plan on taking it to the Dodge dealership tomorrow morning.I just really hope this does not happen again while driving at a high speed.

- Sealy, TX, USA

Apr 022012

300 6-cyl

2012 Chrysler 300. Consumer writes in regards to oil filters the consumer stated the vehicle would wander to the left or right. The vehicle has ESC. All four wheels were out of alignment. Chrysler did not want to change the alignment, in order for it to be within specification. Updated consumer letter 10/18/12. The consumer also stated the transmission would not change to the highest gear. Updated 01/12/13. The consumer stated it was a design flaw, that the rear suspension could not be adjusted. Updated 06/24/13

- Blessing, TX, USA