2012 Chrysler 300 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 300:

2012 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments

Oct 032016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the drivers side front rotors, calibers, and upper ball joint suddenly fractured causing the wheel to detach from the vehicle damaging the fender, the bumper and the rear driver's side tire as well. The vehicle was towed to an unknown location. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 64,825.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Sep 092016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. When the brake pedal was depressed at 30 mph, the vehicle failed to respond and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle suddenly stalled, the instrument panel indicators illuminated, and the doors failed to unlock. The vehicle was restarted after the battery was charged; however, it only moved approximately ten feet. The vehicle stalled again and all the warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 122016

Was driving down the road on a 90 plus degree day with my air on and radio and all of a sudden the radio shuts off the air shuts off and the heat comes on max all by its self.the winsheild wipers come on. I tried to turn them off but I couldnt. Try to roll the window down but it wouldnt work. Lost my power steering. Try to turn but I couldnt went to next drive way where it was wide enough and turned the car was trying to start while all this was going on. I finally got the car where I tried to stop it but it would not so I push the emerency brake and held the brake while I did that also tried to put the car in gear but it would not allow me to in the message area it read service shifter. Finally the car was dying down and all of a sudden it just shut down. I fear driving that car I am traumatized by this and fear my life in that car because I had no control of it and could not shut it off because the push to start was only like a dumbbie would not do anything

- New Haven, MI, USA

Aug 062016

Transmission service warning & engine service lights come on with transmission going out of gear while the vehicle is at speed. Renders the vehicle inoperable and creates a dangerous situation to oncoming and surrounding motorists. Has happened multiple times. Reported to the dealer on three separate occasions. Requires a shut down and restart/reboot with diminished transmission ability. Yellow service engine light and ABS & traction control lights are in the constant on, lighted. Chrysler service codes detect no coded issues. Happening on a greater frequency now, started before 30,000 miles, vehicle now has 43,000 miles on it. Happens in motion, after being parked, just before parking. Frequency is such that I am afraid to drive the vehicle. Chrysler dealer(s) state that do do not have a fix resolved yet for the 2012 models.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate as it jerked before moving forward. The ABS and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ABS sensor and wheel sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The failure mileage was 54,668.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

May 192016

Has started visiting a friend in the hospital comma park the car in a parking garage and engage the parking brake. The car was stationary not moving and when I return and disengage the parking brake I noticed my ABS and traction control lights are on. I have another issue which I discovered today May 19th 2016 is that when entering the vehicle and starting it everything was normal as I progressed down the road I noticed something a little off and it not wanting to accelerate the RPM seem to be a little jumpy and I check the oil pressure which was really high I turned around immediately and parked the car back at my house. The oil pressure would jump maybe 30 to 40 psi but only reaching 20 miles an hour. I am unaware of what is causing these issues and only discovered it as I was making a turn out of my driveway. I am also unsure of the date that the ABS and traction control lights came on but I can say it was before the events on May 19th 2016. My vehicle was purchased February 14th of last year.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Mar 072016

On several occasions over the past few weeks, as the car heats up, the ABS fuse seems to lose contact. When this happens, ABS/esp (stability control), forward collision warning, and adaptive cruise disable. It has happened both while stationary and moving. If using adaptive cruise control, acceleration and speed maintenance will stop, and could result in an accident (though it has not yet). A similar Chrysler case has been opened and linked to the police variant of a car on the same platform with same engine. Police cars use Dodge chargers with hemi V8, which is the same platform as the Chrysler 300 with a hemi V8, with mostly cosmetic issues. The fuse is not blown, and upon the car cooling down, the system is restored, however, on journeys in which the engine heat rises, the system goes offline. It seems as though this may be a common issue in this platform, however, the tsb only went to the police car variant of essentially the same car. When the issue happens while the car is moving, if the driver has the brakes applied, a bang/grind/scrape sound (such as what is heard when the ABS actually engages) can be heard.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jan 292016

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. After the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes), the ABS and electronic stability control lights remained illuminated. Also, the vehicle would vibrate and pull to the right when engaging the brake pedal. The vehicle was not taken back to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,964.

- Tarboro, NC, USA

Dec 162015

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The ABS warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealer. No diagnosis was available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,390.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jul 152015

I was driving at 45 mph on highway when suddenly all the light on the dashboard cluster when on then the radio went off, then windows would not work, door locks would not work then lost power steering and power brakes and engine was still on but not responding to gas pedal. I was able to pull it off the road safely but then I could not put the car in park or shut down the engine. The car was then starting to overheat and a burning electrical smell was noticeable. I was able to open the hood and pull out some fuses to finally shut the car down before it potentially caught on fire. I fell this is an inherit safety dange with this car. I sent do dealer to be told it was the alternator which is very scary that the car could do this if the alternator goes. I seen there was a recall on my model car but not for the one I have but seems to be the same problem as the previos recall for the alternators.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Feb 222015

300 6-cyl

We left our home to run an errand away from home. We were on our way back home when in my car we heard a bell or like a ring.. all of a sudden our car stalled in the street while we were driving it car turned off and my husband could not get it in gear or stopped. The radio turned off the lights went off & heater came on I started smelling something burning and then my husband tried to start the car it started then stopped and then he wasn't able to stop it my daughter and I started flipping out both crying we were scared in traffic and our car just stopped and we could not even get it out of neutral. We called the roadside assistance and a wrecker came in the mean time we are broken down in a very bad of town stranded. We had the car towed to tomball Dodge where we bought it from. We let the dealership know that this is our one and only car and we have no other means of transportation and we needed everything handled quickly and we need a rental car or a courtesy car or something. Dealership told us they have to get with Chrysler as there was a re-call on the alternator - we also called the Chrysler recall assistance team and told them what has happened and they said the dealership has called them. Problem is we looked the recall up on safercar and there is no remedy not yet available so according to the Chrysler recall center they will be putting on another defective alternator since remedy is not available. Very very unsafe and can't seem to get any answers from any one. In the mean time I am the one suffering here a. with no car and B not even a rental due to the fact that Chrysler can't figure it out. In the meantime me and my daughter will be driving in an unsafe vehicle until Chrysler has a remedy. Thank god! we had just exited the freeway and were down on feeder or our car would have shut down on a major highway and we could have been killed.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Nov 062014

300 6-cyl

I was going 30mph when I noticed my radio turned off, few seconds later center console went off, afterwards all the warning lights appeared on my instrument panel. The lights were going on and off the wind shield wipers turned on. 10 seconds later I lost brake control and the vehicle was stuck on the drive gear, power steering was off as well. I ran through a red light I managed to use the emergency break to stop, once I was stopped the car was still stuck on drive, the engine was shaking and making noise it took 30 mins for the engine to turn off. The vehicle interior and exterior lights were going crazy. The car got towed now the dealer is charging me 1,020 to replace the alternator and battery. That's how Chrysler thanks me for almost crashing.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 132014

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift gears intermittently. The contact mentioned that the service engine, the ESC sensor and the ABS sensor warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Pine Bluff , AR, USA

Dec 182013

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 13V118000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The contact stated that both recalls had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repairs. The dealer stated that parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Nov 282013

I came to a stop at a four way intersection. I accelerated to turn at about 5mph instead of the car turning the steering locked up for about 1-2 seconds. Then drove normal until I got to my destination which was a few minutes away & turned the car off. I got off the car & went into the store. Went I finished shopping I returned to the car & tried to start it up. It would not start & steering wheel & brakes were locked. The power steering light, stability control & brake lights would blink & say service engine. About an hour into this I tried to turn the car on. It turned on but the steering wheel was barley turnable I tried to move it a few inches. For the wrecker service personal once I moved it the cars steering was back to normal & working. I plan on taking it to the Dodge dealership tomorrow morning.I just really hope this does not happen again while driving at a high speed.

- Sealy, TX, USA

Nov 122012

When switching from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal my foot hits the plastic surface on the upper part of the foot well. This can delay the time it takes to hit the brakes. I removed the Chrysler issue floor mat to resolve the problem. This would be a safety issue with people with shoe size over 11.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA