3.0

2012 Chrysler 300 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 300:

2012 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152016

300

I was on my way home from the grocery store with my son, I was stopped at a red light when the light turned green I pressed on the gas to go and the car would not move the ABS light came on. The end car finally started to move slowly, then all the lights started to flash and everything went black, no power! I tried to get as close as possible to home, at that point I had no power steering no nothing and all the while the dashboard kept flickering and it said service transmission, malfunction indicator was lit up. This all happened in rush hour traffic. Smh I was going about 25mph and miles on vehicle was 55,900

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Nov 062016

300

While driving about 30mpr, car suddenly loss all inside lights, including indicator lights. Within one minutes later, power dropped and car was barely driving. Within the two blocks I had to drive to get home, power continued to drop. No way to control the car; unable to turn off.ignition or put car in park it suddenly began to smoke profusely. Looked like all fluids leaked and car became hot. Then all dash lights came on flashing violently. Car smoked for about 20 minutes or more before it became quiet. Gears would not engage, so it remained in drive the whole time. I kept my foot on brake due to uncertain about what the car would do. It was completely dead but continued to smoke more than 30 more minutes. Was unable to control anything. Could not even operate trunk. I am totally afraid of this car. Towed to dealer. Alternator cost >$1100. Mileage is just over 68000. P60 recall was not assigned to my car due to amp value.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 302016

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag indicator illuminated without warning. In addition, the ABS indicator remained illuminated and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 74,000. The VIN was not available.

- Redlands, CA, USA

May 162016

300

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift out of park into the other gears without warning. The contact had to maneuver the gears to ensure that the gear had been changed over. In addition, the service engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled more than once. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V352000 (air bags) and 16V240000 (power train). The contact was to check with the manufacturer to determine if they may be able to diagnose the failures and schedule the two recall repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 092016

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. When the brake pedal was depressed at 30 mph, the vehicle failed to respond and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle suddenly stalled, the instrument panel indicators illuminated, and the doors failed to unlock. The vehicle was restarted after the battery was charged; however, it only moved approximately ten feet. The vehicle stalled again and all the warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 082016

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

May 012016

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate as it jerked before moving forward. The ABS and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ABS sensor and wheel sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). The failure mileage was 54,668.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Apr 182016

300

After being parked in shade for over an hour on warm (70) day, brake light came on, then engine and transmission light on and off while driving. While at stop, smell of burnt plastic and unable to shift from drive to park; was eventually able to shift into park, then vehicle died, including flashers. No power to anything, including doors. Was stopped at head of left turn lane during lunch hour traffic; out of car due to building heat and increased burning plastic smell and to direct traffic around the vehicle for over an hour until towed by aaa. Diagnosed by dealer (lithia Dodge in santa rosa, ca) as wire shorted in alternator, but they say not covered by recall #14V634000. Quoted repair is $1452 for new alternator and battery, plus approx. $500 in car rental costs. Mileage about 58,000.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Apr 212016

300

(P60/NHTSA 14V-634) I own a 2012 Chrysler 300. While driving about 5 mph in a parking lot, the radio stated cutting on and off, the battery icon flashed on and off and I lost all power to the vehicle. I opened the hood and smoke was coming from the alternator. Aaa came and tried to jump -start the vehicle, but the battery was completely dead. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery was the cause of the failure. The batter and the alternator were replaced. In 2015, a letter was sent to certain Chrysler 300 owners whose vehicle was equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator to take their vehicle to a Chrysler dealer and get the alternator replaced, free of charge. Those of us with a 180 amp alternator did not qualify. Those of us with the 180 amp alternator did not qualify. The same problem that existed with the 160 amp, also exist with the 180 amp alternator. I also have a life- time warranty, but I had to pay for the battery.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Aug 262015

300

Was driving the vehicle and it started to stall. Managed to get it to a parking lot where it died out. Thought it was the battery got a new one to move from the parking lot. Proceeded to drive the car home from the parking lot about 1 mile away. It started to give out and stall again so I pulled over. Popped the hood open and the altanator was smoking so I turned the car off. Even after I turned it off it still smoked and sounded like it was cracklings like a fire luckily it did not catch on fire. My question is if there's recalls on 2011-2014 Chrysler 300 altanators why is there not one on my car?

- Pala, CA, USA

Jun 282014

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. While at a stop position, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle jerked continuously prior to moving forward. The contact was unable to shift into reverse intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Lithonia , GA, USA

Jul 152015

300

I was driving at 45 mph on highway when suddenly all the light on the dashboard cluster when on then the radio went off, then windows would not work, door locks would not work then lost power steering and power brakes and engine was still on but not responding to gas pedal. I was able to pull it off the road safely but then I could not put the car in park or shut down the engine. The car was then starting to overheat and a burning electrical smell was noticeable. I was able to open the hood and pull out some fuses to finally shut the car down before it potentially caught on fire. I fell this is an inherit safety dange with this car. I sent do dealer to be told it was the alternator which is very scary that the car could do this if the alternator goes. I seen there was a recall on my model car but not for the one I have but seems to be the same problem as the previos recall for the alternators.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jun 232015

300

The car began to stall, losing power at around 20mph. The first indication of something being wrong was the failing of radio, A/C and dimmed lights. The car began to jerk, shake, eventually coming to a complete stop. It was preventing shifting from drive gear to park gear. After a few moments, it allowed shifting to park and turned off. Initially thought the battery failed, so replaced it. Later discovered the alternator was cooked. Then determined the issue was related to a recall on the alternator.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Jan 312015

300 6-cyl

First my car displayed "battery saver mode", next the radio shuts off, the ABS, ebs, and check engine light comes on, then the car automatically and completely shuts off with no other warning.

- Dededo, GU, USA

Jan 112015

300 6-cyl

I had just left my house and was approximately a quarter mile from home when my son and I noticed a strong smell of something burning. Then the radio turned off. I looked down and the message center said "battery saving mode". I had just put a new battery on less than 4 months ago. Then I heard a whirring noise under the hood and the vehicle would not accelerate up a hill. The red outline of a battery appeared on the dash. I took the car back home and parked it -- then had to have a new alternator installed the next day. Mechanic said there was definite evidence of the alternator burning up. After picking up the vehicle with the new alternator -- my heat would not blow out the front vents. Turns out the actuator had gone out. I am still trying to determine if this was caused by the electrical system or just a really strange coincidence. I am still afraid to drive the car when I get on the interstate even with the new alternator because I was told it could happen again at anytime without knowing the cause of the problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 082014

300 6-cyl

Lfirst I must say, I have begun to hate ever buying a Chrysler. I have had at least 3 recalls in the short lived of me purchasing this car. Now, I receive this "safety recall notice" on the alternator just before christmas. Initially, I thought no problem, I will be off work, I will go by the dealer and have this check/fixed, but as I continuing reading the notice that said you will notify me when these parts are available is unacceptable. I am planning to travel for the holidays, now I can't, I don't trust this car. I can only imagine at this point traveling amongst a convey of other cars and my car could just stop does not make for a happy christmas, this has ruined my christmas plans and my question to Chrysler since this is my only form of transportation. What am I suppose to do" the car is sluggish as it is and now this. Not what I hope to get from this car I always wanted and now I have grown to see it as one of my worst nightmares¿¿. what am I suppose to do here" basically, I get that I could experience a rapid failure; thus, putting my life, the people in my car, and every other citizen life in danger. This is ok, the only safety her is that I don't drive this car until it's fixed and you can't fix it without parts, and since Chrysler do not know when these parts will become available it is extremely to risky for everyone involved and if I drive this car, that involves everyone!!!

- Sarkville , MS, USA

Nov 162014

300

Was driving down the road and car started making a noise. Pulled over and popped the hood and smelled burning of plastic. Alternator was smoking. Had to have towed home.

- Smiths, AL, USA

Oct 192014

300 6-cyl

I was entering the freeway and at about 45 mph the car just stalled dropping speed to about 15 mph so I released the gas pedal and started to gain speed when I was going to merge onto the first lane at about 50 mph the car stalled again stopping the traffic behind me. I almost drove off the freeway to avoid the cars behind me. Thats the scariest but like a month ago it did the same thing at a stop light it just wouldn't respond when I tried to take off so I had to turn it off and start it again.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Oct 132014

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift gears intermittently. The contact mentioned that the service engine, the ESC sensor and the ABS sensor warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Pine Bluff , AR, USA

Oct 052014

300

Was driving along doing about 45mph when my (ABS) light came on and then 10 seconds later my battery light then 5 seconds later all electrial components failed. (lights, power stearing) the car went dead and I was coasting down from 45mph at night totally blacked out with my child in the car. I was nearly hit by another car trying to stear the car to the shoulder. It drained the battery down to nothing and I smelled something burning with minor smoke under hood. No actual fire that I could see. Had to replace battery at 179 dollars and with estimate from dealer around 800.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA