3.6

2012 Chrysler 300 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 300:

2012 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments

Nov 112016

300

As I was driving on a city street, my alternator shut down causing everything electrical to stop functioning. I lost control of the vehicle and the brakes were not responding as well. The car kept rolling until I hit a curb.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 272016

300

This is the 2nd time I am sending a complaint about the 2012 Chrysler 300's and the safety issues associated. My vehicle has some sort of electrical issue. This electrical issue used to sporadically affect my vehicle in various way, however lately the issues have become more frequent and aggressive. The frequent and aggressive activity are as follows: Sometimes my bluetooth will not connect so I would turn off and restart the vehicle and the bluetooth would immediately connect. Sometimes the power seats will not heat. I would pull over turn off the car and restart the vehicle and it would start heating up. Sometimes the back-up camera flickers and has a severely distorted image. Sometime the image of the camera is perfectly crystal clear. The main concern is my power steering is electric and I do not have a power steering pump. When I am driving and making a turn out of no where the steering gets really tight and I almost have to force the car to turn. When I park the car and let it sit for a while then the steering is fine again. This is a major safety issue. I have had the vehicle serviced and everyone says that the battery alternator and starter are all perfect. They cannot find anything wrong. Clearly there is something wrong with my vehicle. This has been happening since 2013. The attached images show the backup camera flickering and distorted images. Exactly 2 minutes later I restarted the vehicle and the images were perfect. I also have videos to share if needed.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 152016

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. While attempting to make a turn, the steering wheel hesitated to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering fluid was leaking and the power steering hose or pump possibly needed to be replaced. The leak was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V475000 (steering). The failure mileage was 11,060.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Oct 012012

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while making a right turn at approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel illuminated. Also, the contact stated that fluid was leaking from under the front of the vehicle and the vehicle started smoking. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the transmission had been replaced on three other occasions approximately every 10,000-12,000 miles. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 09/15/15

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Aug 022015

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the ABS warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel seized and the contact was unable to shift the gear lever into park. The emergency flasher illuminated independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Revere, MA, USA

Jun 302015

300

Around 3 weeks ago. My ESC light came on I wasn't sure exactly what it was at first. I did a search on the internet and noticed that there was information about a recall regarding ESC light. So I called the recall phone number and they checked with the glendale Chrysler and set me up a appointment for one week later at 9am. The day I went to the glendale location when I arrived I went up and spoke with the person who was handling my situation. I thought being that I had the 9am appointment and I waited one week I would be the first priority. Instead several people went ahead of me and they didn't even look at my car till 1pm. At the end of everything I was told I would have to pay to get this problem fixed. I felt as if they was not really trying to help me and tried to come up with another reason why the light was on. So I went home and called the recall number back and explained to them I wasn't comfortable with the situation. So they called the downtown la location and they said they don't have the part and they cant order the part. The representative then called the inglewood location and they said they would forward the information to the supervisor and someone would get back in a couple of days. That call was made on wed July 15th and as of today July 20th I have not heard anything. From what I understand this light coming on can cause loss of control of the vehicle and I cant get any help with fixing this situation.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 052015

300

While driving on parkway, battery light saver comes on car, instrument panel goes hay wire just starts lighting up gauges going crazy. Steering wheel locks up car cuts off, lucky I was the only vehicle on the road manage to stop car bye hitting a embankment, when I pulled over black smoke was coming from the hood. Could smell something electric burning. Car cut off and would not start had toed to the dealer.

- Carnegie , PA, USA

Feb 222015

300 6-cyl

We left our home to run an errand away from home. We were on our way back home when in my car we heard a bell or like a ring.. all of a sudden our car stalled in the street while we were driving it car turned off and my husband could not get it in gear or stopped. The radio turned off the lights went off & heater came on I started smelling something burning and then my husband tried to start the car it started then stopped and then he wasn't able to stop it my daughter and I started flipping out both crying we were scared in traffic and our car just stopped and we could not even get it out of neutral. We called the roadside assistance and a wrecker came in the mean time we are broken down in a very bad of town stranded. We had the car towed to tomball Dodge where we bought it from. We let the dealership know that this is our one and only car and we have no other means of transportation and we needed everything handled quickly and we need a rental car or a courtesy car or something. Dealership told us they have to get with Chrysler as there was a re-call on the alternator - we also called the Chrysler recall assistance team and told them what has happened and they said the dealership has called them. Problem is we looked the recall up on safercar and there is no remedy not yet available so according to the Chrysler recall center they will be putting on another defective alternator since remedy is not available. Very very unsafe and can't seem to get any answers from any one. In the mean time I am the one suffering here a. with no car and B not even a rental due to the fact that Chrysler can't figure it out. In the meantime me and my daughter will be driving in an unsafe vehicle until Chrysler has a remedy. Thank god! we had just exited the freeway and were down on feeder or our car would have shut down on a major highway and we could have been killed.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 112015

300 6-cyl

I had just left my house and was approximately a quarter mile from home when my son and I noticed a strong smell of something burning. Then the radio turned off. I looked down and the message center said "battery saving mode". I had just put a new battery on less than 4 months ago. Then I heard a whirring noise under the hood and the vehicle would not accelerate up a hill. The red outline of a battery appeared on the dash. I took the car back home and parked it -- then had to have a new alternator installed the next day. Mechanic said there was definite evidence of the alternator burning up. After picking up the vehicle with the new alternator -- my heat would not blow out the front vents. Turns out the actuator had gone out. I am still trying to determine if this was caused by the electrical system or just a really strange coincidence. I am still afraid to drive the car when I get on the interstate even with the new alternator because I was told it could happen again at anytime without knowing the cause of the problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 282014

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. While turning the vehicle at approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled and the power steering indicator illuminated. The contact was unable to restart the engine. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Canyon , CA, USA

May 042014

300

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated, the steering wheel seized, and there was a slight reduction in the engine power. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 3,200.

- Claymont, DE, USA

Nov 282013

300

I came to a stop at a four way intersection. I accelerated to turn at about 5mph instead of the car turning the steering locked up for about 1-2 seconds. Then drove normal until I got to my destination which was a few minutes away & turned the car off. I got off the car & went into the store. Went I finished shopping I returned to the car & tried to start it up. It would not start & steering wheel & brakes were locked. The power steering light, stability control & brake lights would blink & say service engine. About an hour into this I tried to turn the car on. It turned on but the steering wheel was barley turnable I tried to move it a few inches. For the wrecker service personal once I moved it the cars steering was back to normal & working. I plan on taking it to the Dodge dealership tomorrow morning.I just really hope this does not happen again while driving at a high speed.

- Sealy, TX, USA

Aug 192013

300 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to steer correctly while traveling at various speeds. The contact believed that the rear wheels were misaligned and there was no way to adjust them. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable. Updated 10/22/13

- Blessing, TX, USA

Jul 242013

300 6-cyl

Purchased a pre-owned 2012 300 Chrysler limited from a dealership that is approximately 90 miles from my residence. Took delivery and as soon as I got in garage I heard this grinding sound coming from the steering column as I parked the car. A few days later I took the vehicle to the local dealer to determine the cause and provide a repair. They told me they heard nothing other than normal sounds coming from the electronic power steering motor. I drove a short distance and heard the noise again as I made a turn and thought this is not normal. I took the vehicle back to the dealer to confirm the initial diagnosis that was provided. The service attendant called the technician and he restated the same thing, that this is typical and nothing can be done. I came home went to a Chrysler forum and saw that this problem has been going on for some years. There has to be a problem here as this noise is not typical for a steering mechanism which is a safety critical item. I am amazed that there has been no action taken to correct this issue. Are you waiting for a fatality?

- Greenville , SC, USA

Dec 032012

300 8-cyl

Steering wheel makes a squeaking noise when making turns no matter the speed. I purchased this car brand new 11/26/12 and I started having this issue a couple weeks after I purchase the 2012 Chrysler 300S AWD. I have brought my car to several dealerships in the denver area and they all say they are unable to duplicate the issue on their computer even though they can hear the noise when driving it. I also recorded a video bc on one occasion the dealer said they didn't hear anything. This is really frustrating to have a brand new car that has a steering squeak while I'm driving. I even contacted headquarters and all they did was ask me to go back to the dealer and called to do a follow-up and I told them the issue wasn't fixed and I haven't heard anything back. Its been 8 months that this issue continues to occur!

- Denver, CO, USA