2013 Chrysler 300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chrysler 300:

2013 Chrysler 300 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 042016

Power window front driver side fail to go up at 29,000 miles

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Oct 202013

300

Was driving at approx 30 mph and car started smelling like smoke and the advanced breaking system light and traction control light came on. Car started making a squealing noise. Car was driven half a mile back home and parked. Car would then not turn on. No electrical would work. Car was taken to dealership and was diagnosed with failed alternator and the battery had been destroyed. Car VIN is not listed under current alternator recall.

- Weatherford, OK, USA

Dec 202015

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle lost power. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). In addition, multiple other parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Remlap, AL, USA

Aug 312016

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving 50 mph, there was a loud noise and the vehicle shift lever independently moved from drive into neutral. The contact was able to place the vehicle back in drive. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The contact also stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed; however, the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that there was a loose terminal on the battery and alternator. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 10/13/16

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 242016

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving various speeds, the battery safe mode warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact smelled a burning odor under the hood. The contact also mentioned that the radio became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 34,200.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 162016

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving 25 mph, smoke appeared from the front of the vehicle. The contact pulled the vehicle off the road, but was unable to place the vehicle in park or shut off the engine. Also, the doors and windows were inoperable. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed and caused the wiring harness to melt. The battery was also destroyed due to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Aug 042016

300

Exact same symptoms customers are reporting for nhsta campaign 1V634000. However, my car is not covered because it has a 180 amp alternator and the recall is for 160 amp alternators. I had sudden electrical burning smell inside car and smoke coming from under the hood. Dealer replaced alternator under my service contract (out of warrant) so it cost me $100 instead of 700-900 dollars. It pretty clear these 180 amp alternators should be included in the recall. Chrysler only cares about their bottom line. I want my $100 back Chrysler.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Aug 052016

300

Alternator went out. It's a recall on thousands of car but supposedly not this car. Car lost power will I was driving down the street. Smelled something burning. Had the same exact problem with my 2012 Chrysler 300.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 032016

300

While driving my 2013 300S the lights on my dash began to flash. A few minutes later my radio cut off and would not cut back on. About a minute later I got a message on the dash that said "battery saver mode". I had no idea what was going on and all of a sudden my the car just shut down. I had no control over the car, no brakes, no steering... nothing. Luckily I was not in a position where I needed to avoid hitting other cars because I could not steer. I then started to smell burning rubber. After the car came to a complete stop the lights started flashing again and then the wipers came on. (they were not turned on.) the wipers slowed and then the car went totally dead (again). I googled "battery saver mode" and saw that it was my alternator. I then saw that Chrysler had a recall out for their alternators so I called their recall center. I was told that, "yes, there was a recall." And I had the right kind of car and the right engine but my alternator was 180 amps. (they only recalled the 160 amps.) I read most of the complaints and their experience was almost identical to mine. And I also read that there were people with the 180 amps had the same experience and was also told the same thing as I was told by Chrysler ("at this time we only have a recall out for 160 amp alternators. Save your receipt and if and when we do a recall on the 180 amps we will reimburse you."). really!? my total cost was $1260 (alternator, battery and a belt). Come on Chrysler you know that these alternators are bad (both 160 and 180)! I guess until someone reports a death they won't recall the 180 amp. I would tell any buyer of the 300 to beware. I personally will never purchase a Chrysler again. (I have owned 2.) no matter how cool they look.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 042016

300

On 7.4.16 at approximately 9pm, I was at a traffic intersection waiting for the light to turn green. Suddenly, my car radio shut down, and on the information screen, a żbattery safe modeż message appeared. Then the lights went dim, the info-screen flashed white, and the windshield wipers started moving very slowly. At that point, I tried to put the car in neutral and shut it off, but the shifter was not responsive. Then, all the screens went out and the car died. I called my roadside assistance to come to either jump or tow my car. The technician showed up and tried to jump start the vehicle, but to no avail. The car was then towed to a repair shop. The repair shop discovered that the 180 amp alternator was fried (in their words) and the alternator fried the battery as well. The repairs totaled approximately nine hundred dollars! (note) the first new alternator they installed was faulty. For a car under 3 years old, maintained impeccably, this is ridiculous to have an alternator fail in such a short period of time. I filed a complaint with Chrysler Corp. And discovered that there was a recall on a 160 amp alternator in the Chrysler 300. I asked and they advised me that the manufacturer for both the 160 and 180 amp alternators is the same. The recall (October 8, 2014) for the smaller 160 amp alternator is ; NHTSA recall #14V-634, and Chrysler recall # P60 respectively. It seems like the problem exists on both alternators. Chrysler Corp. Should take a proactive and not reactive stance at this point.

- Trinity, FL, USA

Jun 192016

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the ABS and traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery and alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system), but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 60,000.....updated 08/29/16

- Idabel, OK, USA

May 242016

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving 45 mph, the warning lights illuminated and kept blinking. The vehicle completely shut down in the middle of the highway. The vehicle would not shift into neutral and was towed to the contact's residence. The contact notified the manufacturer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Buena Lane, AZ, USA

Jul 182015

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 202016

300

The contact owned a 2013 Chrysler 300. While driving 53 mph, the vehicle lost power without warning and resumed independently; however, the brakes failed to respond without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a cement barrier, rolled over, and landed in a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact and the front and rear seat passengers sustained facial lacerations and back injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Seminary, MS, USA

Feb 192016

300

Alternator failed ubruptly on 2/19/16 at approx 3pm I was driving home when my 2013 Chrysler 300 began to make a noise from the front engine area and I noticed what to seem like a rubber burning type odor. I kept driving and suddenly my battery warning light came on and a message on my console indicating "battery saving mode". without further warning, my vehicle shut down in the middle of the road and almost collided with the vehicle in front. My daughter and I exited the vehicle when smoke began to fill the inside of the vehicle. I opened the hood and noticed the alternator was making a crackling and sizzling noise and a large amount of smoke was coming from the alternator. I attempted to turn the car on to roll up my windows and there was no power. I then called Chrysler roadside assistance and a tow truck was dispatched. The tow guy indicated that it appeared it was total alternator failure and as a result my battery was also "fried". the tow guy had to unlock the gears manually in order to manuver the car onto the towing bed. The vehicle was towed to rogers & rogers auto on 2/20/16 in the a.M. at about 12 noon the technician called to inform that in fact the alternator had failed resulting in damage to the vehicle's battery as well. He also indicated that this vehicle was not on the recall list but the circumstances were almost identical to the recall issued in February 2015. He suggested we call Chrysler customer service for information otherwise we would be responsible for all repairs.

- Brawley, CA, USA

Dec 012014

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. On several occasions, the vehicle stalled after the battery warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle restarted; however, the vehicle was in battery safe mode. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Apr 132013

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. The contact stated that when the windshield wipers were activated, the instrument panel became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Carriere, MS, USA

Apr 142015

300

The contact owns a 2013 Chrysler 300. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) and stated that the part for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experience a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. Updated 03/15/16

- Kemp, TX, USA

Dec 012015

300 6-cyl

2013 Chrysler 300. Consumer writes in regards to alternator assembly replacement parts issue, recall 3 14V634000. The consumer was informed the parts needed to be ordered and it would take two months.

- West Babylon, NY, USA

Nov 092015

300

No power to car. No light/no start. Aaa jump started the car. Dealer diagnostic failed to reveal cause/problem.

- Sun City Center, FL, USA