2005 Chrysler 300C engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler 300C:

2005 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 092013

The most recent incident I experienced was the gearshift getting stuck in park. Luckily I wasn't too far from home when this happened. I'm waiting for a dealer to diagnose the problem. I have also had issues with my car cutting off after filling my gas tank. The dealer suggested that I not fill the gas tank to the full line. So far this has worked but there needs to be a permanent fix for this problem. Along with the car cutting off my driver side mirror dimmer is not functioning properly. The mirror has an orange tint to it and when I look at it the images are blurred. There are list of other issues I've had with this car but I would be typing all day.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

May 252013

300C 8-cyl

We purchased our 2005 Chrysler 300C on May 24, 2013 with 49,755 miles on vehicle. We picked up vehicle on May 25th from dealer and went to gas station to fill up gas tank. Upon leaving the gas station the car stalled and lost all power. Tried to restart vehicle and after two times it started again but still chugged and wouldn't pick up speed. This continued to happen until after the car was driven for about 10 miles. This did not happen again right away and after reading owners manual we just thought maybe it had been sitting long at dealer or something. On June 17th we again had to fill up the gas tank and upon doing so the same thing happened with the stalling, chugging and just not running correctly. While turning left the car stalled again and I had a very hard time restarting. In the mean while other cars were coming at me from both behind me and in front of me. This really scared me so I called a local Chrysler dealership and was told that they had no idea what it could be and we should bring it in. At that point I decided to look on internet to check for recalls and ended up finding the numerous complaints from people having the exact same issue with their 2005 Chrysler 300C as we have. The only way to solve this very dangerous problem is to either not fill the tank all the way or have a new tank installed at a cost of anywhere from $1500 all the way up to $2500 which is ridiculous considering this really seems to be a manufacturing defect on Chrysler's part. Is it going to take a serious accident possibly leading in a death for Chrysler to act on this problem? this is a very dangerous issue and will eventually cause a fatal accident.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

May 132013

300C 8-cyl

Hi, when fueling the 2005 Chrysler 300C to full, the car will drive and stall randomly. It's unpredictable and happens each time you fill the tank. It's repetitive and can be duplicated always. It's certainly very hazardous to drive, and I have almost been hit twice trying to enter the roadway when it stalls, and it takes a min to actually get it started again if it actually does start. This has been happening since around the 50K mile mark. This needs your immediate attention, and quite many 300C owners have this same very problem.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jun 072010

300C 8-cyl

This problem only after fill the gas tank. After pulling away from the pump and pulling into traffic the car died and won't start until you put in park. This happens until some of the fuel has been used up. I would have it happen make it home. Then the next time I drive it the car will die until its been driven enough to use up some fuel. This dangerous because it happen as you slow down or start up. I have had it die while turning and lose all controls because it dies! the only way to combat this is to not fill the tank. That works if I drive the car but my family members forget that and have lost control also! this has been going on for 3 years! dangerous

- Fenton, MO, USA

Oct 142011

300C 8-cyl

I read about this in the paper on 5-13-2013. After filling up, I started driving in 3 lanes of heavy traffic going about 55. The car suddenly stopped. The engine shut down. I was lucky I didn't get hit by one of the other cars. This happend several other times after that. I went to the dealer and they said they had never heard of such a thing. They said I must have topped off the gas. I said no. They said then do not put so much gas in at once. Well they just blew me off. I really think this matter needs to be addressed now, before it is too late for someone.

- Mileaukee, WI, USA

Jul 042011

300C 8-cyl

I filled the tank up to full like I had many times before. I have always preferred relying on gallons and not the automatic pump shut off to know when it was full to prevent a possible overfilling. I had gone maybe 10 yards after restarting and she stalled. Tried to crank her back up, and she would sputter and try to start, but it took a few tries. Then, as I am pulling into the street, it died again but started right back up. Then it died 10 yards later, again. It continued to stall every few feet until I was able to get the rpms up and hold it in 1st and 2nd gear to attempt and burn up as much fuel as quickly as possible. However, coming to a complete stop anytime for the next 15 miles or so would cause a stall but always followed with an immediate start up. When it stalls that very first time it takes a few minutes for it to start and then it is very rough for a few miles. Since that day anytime I fill up to within about a gallon of maximum capacity it will start the stalling process all over again. Combine bad gas mileage with a tank that can't be filled and it's safe to assume I spend a lot of time at gas stations.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Oct 102012

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after refilling the fuel tank - usually once within two blocks of the service station. Sometimes this has happened twice. Once it has been driven a few miles, then the stalling problem goes away. I contacted the dealer but they have no idea why this is happening nor how to remedy the situation.

- Marysville, MI, USA

Jan 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler 300C. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred several times and immediately after refueling. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Ellicot City, MD, USA

May 152010

300C 8-cyl

After filling gas tank, engine would repeately stall (at idle or at 40 mph) up to 6 times within 2+ miles.. incident did not seem to occur if the tank was not full.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Jul 042011

300C 8-cyl

I filled the tank and the vehcile stalled several times the next few miles. Especially after right turns, like when merging onto freeways. This happens now every time when I fill the tank. Very dangerous. From web forums I understand gas is getting sucked into the evap system because a check valve at the gas-filler neck doesn't work. What a pain! I replaced the evap solenoid, that didn't help...the problem at the gas tank filler-neck check valve.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Jan 122013

300C 8-cyl

On 3 separate occasions immediately following filling with gas, the engine died within 2 blocks of the gas station. No check engine light was displayed on any of the 3 occasions and the car was extremely difficult to restart, requiring at least 30 seconds. Also, after restart on all 3 occasions, the engine ran very rough for 1-2 miles and then ran smoothly. On 1 of the occasions, the car died the next day after only driving a few blocks from home. After the first occurrence, the spark plugs were changed, the throttle body was cleaned, the vapor canister was replaced, and the evaporation system solenoid was replaced. On 1 of the occasions, the gas tank was topped off beyond the initial shut-off by several tenths of a gallon. After the 3rd occurrence (70,796 miles), the car was taken to the olathe Chrysler dealership and diagnosed as needing to replace the gas tank (2/20/2013). The cost was $1583.58. Since then, the vehicle now has 72,062 miles... approximately 1200 miles since replacing the gas tank... and has not died following filling with gas (6 times).

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Feb 012013

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls one or more times after refueling, particularly while decelerating. Vehicle may then lurch several times before resuming normal operation, which usually occurs after 5-10 minutes of driving. Problem is intermittent but ongoing. Mechanic has not been able to resolve problem.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Was in my father's '05 Chrysler 300C, stopped at a red light. Engine shut itself off, steering column locked, and the oil pressure light came on. I turned the vehicle off and turned it back on again, and it continued to work fine. Upon searching the internet for causes to this problem, I quickly found that this is a very common problem. Lots of people have had their 300 stall on them, and apparently the computer in the car does not have a record of the system fail, or the warning lights on the dashboard coming on. The repairs appear to be in the $1200 - $2000 range. Seems like something Chrysler should make their dealers fix for free, seeing as it is very clearly a manufacturer's error. Having learned of the treatment Chrysler's customers receive, I will be sure not to bring my money to them when I need a car of my own.

- Troutdale, OR, USA

Oct 242012

300C 8-cyl

Engine stalled at slow speed immediately after filling up with gas. Engine was somewhat difficult to restart because it was flooded. Engine stalling happened at least five times before enough gas was burned off to prevent the condition. Numerous reports on the internet indicate this is a common problem and happens when raw fuel from the evaporative system is ingested through the throttle body. The evaporative system should only convey fumes but a failure allows it to carry raw fuel to the throttle body. This condition has the potential to be very dangerous. Given the number of complaints a safety recall should be instigated to ensure that raw fuel can never reach the throttle body via the evaporative system.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Dec 092011

300C 8-cyl

Just fueled the car and leaving the service station and the car stalled. Vehicle kept stalling as I attempted to drive it and shut off in the middle of traffic. Had to be towed. Also, each time I have filled the car up since, the same thing happens. The car sputters, shuts down. Once restarted I have to rev the gas and blow the engine for several minutes to get the gas flowing in a manner to drive the vehicle.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA