2.1

2006 Chrysler 300C drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler 300C:

2006 Chrysler 300C Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 202013

300C 8-cyl

After filling the car a Chrysler 300C stalls. This is now an ongoing problem as the car now stalls after fueling. The stall occurs mostly when stopped at a red-light or driving at a low rate of speed. It has now progressed to include when accelerating onto a interstate.the stall causes all safety systems to fail ie. Breaks, steering, et. I have called the local dealership and the Chrysler hotline 800-992-1997 and was informed that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Chrysler will extend fuel-tank warranties does not apply to 2006 Chrysler 300C models. I was told the malfunctioning shut-off float and gas tank neck splash issue is not covered.

- Mount Carmel, PA, USA

Mar 232014

300C 8-cyl

While trying to merge on the freeway the motor stalled and made a rolling drumming not a high pitch noise wouldn't re start towed it home got it started and the engine is making a loud squeak noise it won't idle on its own and it stalls when put into gear.

- Norco, CA, USA

Feb 252014

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle will stall while driving or surge while trying to stop without notice for up to thirty minutes or approximately 20 miles after normal fuel up (no topping off!). I suddenly surged while approaching another vehicle from behind at a stop light and my vehicle nearly caused a collision. While driving on a two-lane curved road the vehicle stalled causing loss of steering and near collision with on-coming traffic and had to stop quickly which caused a road hazard for other vehicles coming around a tight turn behind me. Once restarted, I continued on same road and vehicle died again in a turn on same road causing the steering to go out again which lead to veering off the road and with the potential of falling down a 30 foot un-guarded decline. Vehicle will stall and surge while in idle as well. I have been able to replicate this issue reliably on three separate occasions. I welcome any skeptics from Chrysler or other investigative authorities to contact me so that I may demonstrate the severity of this issue if necessary. This is dangerous!!!

- Yelm, WA, USA

Jan 092014

300C 8-cyl

After re-fueling vehicle, car stalled at 5 intersections. Vehicle was difficult to restart. Vehicle would not always go back into gear after restarting until several attempts were made. After burning off a few gallons of fuel on the highway, the vehicle no longer stalled/misfired. Tank was not "topped-off" when filled, it was filled until the pump stopped automatically. Stalling occurs every time vehicle is filled to full.

- Mapleton, ND, USA

Dec 082012

300C

The first time this happened was over a year ago. I had just filled up gas tank and pulled out of lot still in a parking lot of a shopping area. Turned left into a fast food place and car shuts down and would not restart until attempted several times. I was able to pull into a parking spot and went inside. Came out started car was pulling out of lot into traffic and car shuts down again. This time not to the liking of other drivers or myself. Restarted after several attempts drove home and did not happen again till I went on a trip a few months later. Half way through the trip I had to refuel and bingo it happened again after pulling out of gas station lot and turning left into traffic. This is not good. I was able to restart after several minutes and continued my trip on interstate without further incident. Since then it has been ok until just two days ago the 28th of December 2013. It happened again, after filling up and turning left at slow speed car shut down while pulling into a lot. It finally restarted after several attempts. After reading on line I'm not the only one with this problem. When it happened the first time I took to dealer, that I will never take it to again. Short story is they wanted to replace my transmission at the tune of $4500. I left there and drove to a transmission shop who diagnosed and said that there was nothing wrong with transmission. Problem appears to be getting worst and afraid to fill up and pull out into traffic. From what I understand there seems to be a problem with the fuel tank and related components. Please Chrysler fix this problem, I love my 300C.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

May 012013

300C 8-cyl

Engine intermittently stalls while either idling or driving. Stalls are increasingly more frequent. Unable to get a diagnosis of problem. Have replaced the PCM but no change in problem occurrence.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012013

300C 8-cyl

Stalls after I fill up and jerks violently when moving slowly 0 to 20 mph and hesitates when driving 30 and over if I don't drive around drive around in a parking lot for apx 10 min it will stop in traffic and possibly causing a rear end collision.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Feb 012013

300C 8-cyl

Started stalling after fill up's apx 1 year ago. I do not drive it alot. Apx 55000 miles on it. First thought was due to changing octane but been using for 4 months. Stalls, bucks, surges. Cleared up after apx 5 to 10 min.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

May 152012

300C 8-cyl

My 2006 Chrysler 300C was a car that was well taken care of. It had less than 90,000 miles at the date of the incident. I was in a drive-thru and I turned off the car to save fuel. When I went to restart the vehicle, the car made a loud grinding noise that sound similar to sticking a baseball card in bicycle spokes but much louder and stronger. I had the car towed to chuck clancy Chrysler and I was informed that a valve seat had dropped and destroyed several cylinders. The bill was $3,000. This car was always maintained by maintenance records and the oil changed with pennzoil platinum ultra. To add to this story, I received the car back and the same issue happened again two weeks later. Needless to say, I was out another $4000 for this repair. Chrysler refused to cover it and gave me the cold shoulder. I would never purchase a Chrysler product again.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Sep 152013

300C 8-cyl

5 minutes after filling up my 06 Chrysler 300C srt-8 6.1L at a gas station I was crossing over traffic to make a left turn and my car died in the middle of oncoming traffic. It took several minutes to restart then lurched forward after put into gear. This is the second time right after filling my tank this has occurred. The time before it stalled merging onto interstate on ramp.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

May 052013

300C 8-cyl

My vehicle will stall out on me intermittently. It mostly happens right after I get finished putting gas in my car. Unlike most other stories I've read about overfilling the gas tank, this happens to me sometimes when I put just a half of a tank of gas in my car. Now, as of Nov. 7, 2013, it's done it well over 100 times; that's since the first time it happened in May. The dealership is a complete scam. They know this is a defect. They've charged me to fix everything from egr valves to pcms to spark plugs. Nothing has worked.then finally I decide to do some deep research, that's when I decided to file my complaint. There are 2 major issues I have. When at highway speeds, I'll lose all power and throttle response for a split second, then it'll kick back in. It's extremely dangerous, to say the least. The more frequent problem, is the car completely cutting off while either at idle, or traveling at a lower speed. Both situations happen almost always directly after I put gas in my car. This happens so much that it is becoming unbearable. Sometime it starts back up, and sometimes I have to wait a minute or two. It's ridiculous. I don't mind paying to have my car serviced. However, diagnose the problem, know that's the problem, and let's get it fixed. Don't run me through $3,000 worth of repairs, knowing that you've got countless others with the same model and model year, coming in around the same time, complaining about the same problem. You know what it is. That's no coincidence. And quite frankly, it's fraudulent. I've got my 5 year old son riding in the back seat. What happens the next time my car stalls out on the highway and loses power, with another car tailgating me" what if it's a tractor trailer next time? will they have enough time to brake or plow into the back of me" more unnecessary stress and worry for the loyal consumer. Thanks Chrysler.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Sep 022013

300C 8-cyl

The car has been stalling out after being started. Now it is almost shutting off or becoming unresponsive mid acceleration from a stop sign. The car will at random stall. The engine does not need to be restarted so far while driving. It will "die" for a few seconds and then comes back again just short of complete engine shut down. Rear window on passenger side is also non responsive. It has only worked once since I have had the car.

- Laurel, DE, USA

Oct 212013

300C

After filling up the fuel tank from a start of 1/8 th to full tank, the car stalled after leaving the service station about 200 feet down the road while stopped at a light. After getting the vehicle restarted I began to accelerate from the stopped position but driving power train was fairly erratic as the car attempted to lurch forward or accelerate unpredictably then would pull back by nearly stalling. This continued for several miles before reaching my driveway. The car while in neutral loped substantially from 2000 RPM to 100rpm several times before stalling. Attempting to start the car after stalling was successful. Leaving the car parked and off for 60 minutes had no beneficial effect. After returning the starting was very difficult and the instrument panel gauges were not lit until the car started again. The car continues to be idle erratically both while in park and in drive and at slow speeds.

- Ambler, PA, USA

Mar 012013

300C

Im hoping this post will get us some help and answers about the problems we are having with our 2006 Chrysler 300C. We bought the car in November of 2011. It had less than 33,000 miles and was in great condition. We absolutely loved this car for about the first year, but then the trouble started and it is now an ongoing nightmare. It started stalling and dying constantly, usually when we were going slow or stop and go, but a few times when driving 35-45 mph. We had purchased a 2 year/20,000 added warranty when we bought the car (expires in Nov 2013 which has me worried) so all of the servicing and repairs have been done at our local dealer. So far, they have done throttle body clean, cleaned A/F box and replaced filter, coolant flush, steering system flush, fuel kit, changed out fuel tank, vapor canister, leak detection pump filter, new factory battery, complete tune up, oil changes, and more. Not all of this was covered by the warranty, so we have spent thousands of our own money on repairs and rental car all the times it has been in the shop since it is our only car. On October 16, we had to have the car towed back to the dealer because it was dying again and wouldn't stay cranked once put in gear and start moving. As of this morning, still no word from them on what they think it is this time, and yet another rental bill while we wait. In the two years we have had this car, we have only put about 10,000 miles on it, it has less than 43,000 miles. This car has way too few miles and has been too well taken care of for it to be having this many problems. All the things they have done and its still doing the same thing! this is a big safety issue because when it dies, you have very little to none of the steering and brakes. Luckily, we have not had it die in major traffic yet, but I am afraid to drive it now for fear that we are going to be in a wreck because of it.

- Orange, TX, USA

Oct 172013

300C 8-cyl

After leaving the gas station (filling the tank) the car sputtered a few times, then as I approached a stop light it stalled out. I pulled away okay but it stalled again at the next light. After getting gas, the car is hesitant while driving and stalls out, usually lasting for 1-3 miles.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 222013

300C 8-cyl

I filled up my Chrysler 300 just after buying it for the first time. After fill up I pulled away from the gas station and got to the stop light and it stalled. I restarted it and it would not go into gear at first but after a minute it did. Went for about hundred feet and it stalled again in front of my house. Then the next morning it ran fine until I filled it up again and it did the same thing stalled right after I filled it with gas I checked with the local dealer and they said they are aware of this problem and that it is an issue with the design of the gas tank and purge valve that only can be corrected by replacement of the fuel tank. I checked online and this an issue has happened for many owners and they have been told the same thing by there dealers. It is a factory design error that only be corrected by the fuel tank replacement as well as the purge valve. The reason it stalls is that when filled up the tank and purge vale floods the throttle body with raw fuel and the car stalls this stalling can cause an accident very easy as well as effecting the emissions of the vehicle. I feel that Chrysler should issue a recall for this defect which I understand has effected the Dodge charger as well as the challenger.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Sep 162013

300C 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled twice after filling up the gas tank, once exiting the gas station waiting for the light to turn green and another 3 minutes later at another light on the feeder road of the highway. I have never had any other issues as car is well maintained: Oil changes with synthetic, air filter, transmission service, spark plugs, ect. I also only use 89 octane fuel as recommended in the owners manual.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 082006

300C 8-cyl

(11-9-2006) car stalled 4 times in a row. The stalling has continued up to yesterday (9-15-2013). The car would stall at a stop or at freeway speeds and at random times from a few days up to 3 or 4 months. The dealer never had a solution. I have replaced many electrical components recommended by the dealer including the PCM. Before I changed the PCM, I would have to shift into neutral and turn the switch to restart the car. After I replaced the PCM the car will still stall, but then will "kick start" itself if I am going over 25 mph. Sometimes the car will stall 2 or 3 times and then run great for a month or 2. it is always random. I have looked into renting a blackbox to install in my car to capture what the problem is, however the dealer says that a recorder for my car doesn't exist. I still drive this car with caution, my wife no longer drives this car which was hers..

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Sep 092013

300C

L- the contact owns a 2006 Chrysler 300 C. the contact stated that the she was unable to shift the vehicle out of the park position. The vehicle will be towed to a local dealer for inspection. The vehicle has not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer has not been notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 60000.-

- Athens, OH, USA

Jul 222013

300C 8-cyl

My 2006 Chrysler 300C (hemi 5.7) will stall at low speeds or when stopped at a traffic light. The car does restart. At higher speeds (e.g, , 60mph), the vehicle will exhibit a sudden loss of power (drop in rpms, followed by a chime sound) as if the engine is about to stall, before reaccelerating again. The stalling/loss of power issue does not occur all the time. Sometimes, the car will operate as long as a day or two without incident. The dealer performed a complete system diagnostic - retrieved code PO700 - related to loss of communication with PCM to multiple modules. (they may have been old stored codes.) then, they cleared the codes, road tested the car, but could not replicate the problem. The dealer returned the car and asked me to monitor it. They indicated that if the issue re-occurs, the vehicle will possibly need a PCM or ignition switch. My impression is that they are guessing at what the issue may be. The day after the car was returned to me, the same sudden stalling/loss of power issues recurred although the engine diagnostic light has not come on. I will be returning the car to the dealer, even though they have not been able to pinpoint the problem to date. I am very concerned about the sudden stalling and loss of power. This is a very serious safety issue that can result in an accident. I am married with a 9 month old baby.

- Lynn, MA, USA