2008 Chrysler Aspen steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Aspen:

2008 Chrysler Aspen Owner Comments

Jan 202015

Hello, I am the owner of a 2008 Aspen. I recently took the vehicle to a safety car seat checkpoint and was recommended to contact you by the officer concerning the seat belts. They don't lock when pulled all the way out like other vehicles (I.e. notable resistance when trying to secure a car seat in place). I have also noticed this when switching car seats in a durango that my brother owns. I know the belts lock upon braking the vehicle. Also, I have had an issue where the vehicle has shut off, and I have lost power steering and all electrical control after topping off at a gas station. We promptly took it to the local dealer who did a computer update but it continues to happen anytime we top off with gas. As long as we don't overfill above the first click of the gas handle, the vehicle doesn't cut off spontaneously while driving. My husband has visited forums online where this has been as issue for other owners. Fortunately, I was in a neighborhood two miles down the road when it cut off with me and my children so was able to coast to a stop. However, I feel it is a big safety issue as it doesn't happen immediately and if I had been on a busy road could have potentially resulted in an accident as I had no control of the vehicle.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Feb 222016

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Aspen. While driving approximately 25 mph, the engine warning indicator illuminated and there was a complete loss of power steering. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal steering function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Annandale, NJ, USA

Nov 232015

The clock spring/steering sensor has gone out on my Aspen. What I was told by dealership is it has gone bad on so many Aspen and other Chrysler cars using this part that it is on back order and may take up to 6 months to get one... this part has caused my anti-lock brake, skid control and my all wheel drive to no longer work

- Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Aug 082015

We lost control of the vehicle upon hitting a medium sized bump while traveling approximately 38mph in a straight line. This has happened multiple times when hitting small to medium sized bumps since we purchased the vehicle late in 2014. There are no broken or worn out parts in the steering or suspension and the tires only have 3,000 miles on them. In fact, the problem became worse when we replaced the previous tires. This leads me to believe there is an issue the in engineering of the steering system on this vehicle. It is literally impossible to hit a bump without the steering pulling to the side, which re-directs the vehicle regardless of how hard the driver grips the steering wheel. This is a very dangerous vehicle and we need a solution as soon as possible before this causes a major accident.

- Denver, CO, USA