2009 Chrysler Aspen drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Aspen:

2009 Chrysler Aspen Owner Comments

May 152014

Aspen 8-cyl

Description to be sent by email immediately following this transmission. Description email will bear this temporary file number. On a weekday sometime in May 2014, I stopper at a stop sign, without he engine fully heated up, turned the wheel over to make a left turn and pressed the accelerator pedal. Despite the fact that I had depressed the accelerator pedal, approximately 5% of travel, the engine remained at the standard 650 RPM curb idle speed. Holding my foot at that position, the engine remained at curb idle for approximately three seconds. The red throttle control lightening bolt illuminated on the instrument panel. Engine operation was otherwise normal. After about three seconds, the engine increased speed normally, the red light went off and I drove off without further malfunction. The check engine light did not illuminate at any time. At some point, in June 2014. The same malfunction occurred again. When opening the throttle from a standing start, the engine refused to respond to the throttle and remained at curb idle for approximately three seconds. The red throttle control light remained on for approximately three seconds, and the engine then resume normal operation. Again, the check engine light did not illuminate. For months, there was a very mild low RPM flat-spotting symptom. Specifically, once the car was in motion, small openings of the throttle produced only very mild acceleration, without hesitation. Pushing the throttle down a little further produced normal acceleration without a downshift. On July 19, 2014, I left the dealership and pulled out onto a feeder road. I noticed the flat-spotting again on the throttle opening at low RPM. I pulled into a parking lot, put the car in park and turned off the engine. I turned the key to on and once again followed the slowly depress fully calibration procedure. This procedure involved fully removing my foot from the pedal, at the end of the procedure. I turned the key off and then re-started the car. Instantly upon firing, the engine went to a 4000 RPM idle and stayed there. Updated 08/19/14

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012013

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Aspen. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 13V038000 (power train) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The recall notification was received by the contact several months ago. The dealer was contacted and advised that they were unable to obtain the part from the manufacturer. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Church Point , LA, USA

Nov 042013

Aspen 8-cyl

My husband's truck and my Aspen are both affected by the N08 recall for rear axle pinion nut. We received the first notice of this recall several months ago, but the notice told us that the parts needed for repair were not available and that we would receive a second notice when they were. We have now received the second notice and I have called our local dealer, southern Chrysler Dodge Jeep, in lufkin, Texas two times but they only had 3 or 4 of the parts come in and those are already promised to other customers. My husband and I are driving around in these vehicles with our 6 year old son, and no one is able to tell us when we might be able to have this fixed because they do not know when they will receive another shipment and each future shipment will most likely only be 3 or 4 parts. I would like to have the parts shipped to our dealership, reserved in our names, with instructions for them to contact us upon arrival. (2010 Dodge Ram 1500 & 2009 Chrysler Aspen), or they can be shipped to us directly.

- Huntington, TX, USA