CarComplaints.com Notes: Chrysler has taken the boring small car frame of the Neon, grafted a 1930s-era roadster body on top and named it the PT Cruiser. While the new look may appeal to some, the vehicle has unfortunately also inherited many of the same problems as the Neon.

7.3

2. replace under mass recall as this is a common defect in 2001 (9 reports)
  3. replaced dash (2 reports)
  4. replace under mass recall (1 reports)
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 012009

PT Cruiser

Same complaint as other readers. Dash has cracked in several places near the middle....from windshield back toward passenger area. Looks like crapola and I'd like to have a fix that doesn't involve having to buy a new dash. But since I don't know what dash caps look like, I'm having a repair specialist take a look. I understand it can be glued and painted but I suspect that may not look too swift. At any rate, I won't do anything without first checking out a similar repair on another car. Any good suggestions?

- , Saint Johns, FL, USA

Aug 102010

PT Cruiser Limited

This really stinks! We can't find a dashboard cover to cover it and it looks terrible. Why the cheap dashboard on such a otherwise nice auto. We also had problems when turning left it would pop out of power steering and drive like a truck. We had to pay several hundred dollars to fix that little item. Phooey!

- , Kapaa, HI, USA

Jan 142010

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4 cyl

It is hard enough trying to maintain the maintance work needed for your car to stay running, but to have to turn around and invest money into a problem that is apparently well known, is really a pain in the ass. I do not understand why maufactures make such cheap parts , and over charge us to fix the problem. I am really glad that they stop making this car, because all we were really paying for is the opputunity to pay for other stuff that might break down. GREAT JOB CHRYSLER!!, on B.S ing your clients.

Angry and Pissed in South Carolina

- , Cordova, SC, USA

Jan 152010

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

Keep in mind I do take care of this automobile. Meticulously. While crossing railroad tracks the defroster bezel (dash center) cracked and a small portion flew up hit the windshield then bounced onto the floor. The outer rim of the bezel, closest to the windshield, cracked completely. Then suddenly I heard a "snap" and noticed a crack from the right corner of the broken bezel toward the windshield. About a week later I noticed another crack from the left side of the broken bezel to the windshield. A couple drops of superglue held it in place for a short time but now I have this hideous gaping hole in the center of my dash! Cheap, cheap, Chrysler crap!

- , Brownstown Twp., MI, USA

Feb 052010

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

Like the other reports of this problem there is no real reason for this to happen. The dashboard just cracked and also the defroster grill. Why?

I don't have a fix yet but it's ugly.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Jan 012010

PT Cruiser

Well like most other owners with this problem I was surprised to say the least, because i've torn up three different window screens/shades to prevent this problem (and it still occurred); starting @ the vent in the center then running towards the steering. I simply bought a custom fit carpet cover so i don't' have to stare at a cracked up dash.

- , Tamarac, FL, USA

Dec 152004

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

What is causing the cracking of the dash board, the crack goes right across the middle of the dash from the front to the back. Its a horrible looking eye sore!

- , Decatur, IL, USA

Oct 072009

PT Cruiser Limited 4 cyl

Hello, i bought my girlfriend a '01 PT about 3 months ago. It already had the crack on the dash. i ready didn't care to much about it. What worried me was the idea that the dash was damaged because of the airbags, which later i found out was not the case. Anyways, my girlfriend and i went to a local flea market and found some guy that makes dashcovers for $15. We ordered it and picked it up the next day. Eazy fix. We no longer have the PT due to a real bad hail storm 3 weeks ago. Other than that it was a real good car.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 012005

PT Cruiser Limited Edition

All PT cruiser owners if you have a cracked dash we must report the problem to Chrysler if they get over 5000 complaint then them will recall the dash boards please call 1-800-992-1997 or email them at http://www.chrysler.com/en/ then select contact us at the bottom right hand side of the screen. I called and with labor and parts its $789.00. Why should I pay this amount when i did not crack it .

- , Mulberry, FL, USA

Jul 072008

PT Cruiser LD

I noticed that there was a crack on the air vent on the top with a small crack. Then gradually over the next couple of days the crack lengthen at an angle towards the steering wheel from the right side of the air vent. I always use my window shade, and it hasn't been

exposed to any trauma at all. Interestingly enough we were in Salinas and Carmel a couple of weeks ago for a wedding and I saw two PT cruiser that were cracked in the same

spot as mine was. I love my car, and besides having a right caliper fail five years ago we have had great luck and my car has over 160,000 miles on it. I am interested to see that this is a common complaint. I have not called Chrysler yet to get there input.

- , El Sobrante, CA, USA