CarComplaints.com Notes: Chrysler has taken the boring small car frame of the Neon, grafted a 1930s-era roadster body on top and named it the PT Cruiser. While the new look may appeal to some, the vehicle has unfortunately also inherited many of the same problems as the Neon.

5.7

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jan 312005

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I have been experiencing shifter problems, that has made it occasionally difficult to shift into or it would drop out of reverse gear. While doing a battery check I noticed the shift linkage appeared to be lying on top of the transaxle. Upon further investigation after removing the air box I noticed that indeed linkage was lying there without being secured in position. There appears to be an indentation for retainer clip, there was no evidence that one had been used or if it had it came off early on. I realize more automatic pt?S were sold than manual 5-speed units. I also realize that it is possible that only my vehicle may have this problem. Although I believe that to be unlikely, therefore I am filing a formal complaint, based on the initial response I received from the local dealership service and parts department. I believe continued uncontrolled wear could result in a mishap should the linkage come off while driving. Had the retainer clip been installed it would have prevented this type wear with less than 70,000 miles.

- Shreveport, LA, USA