2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Aug 182016

PT Cruiser

Structure - noticed slight clunk from front suspension on bumps. On mechanic's lift, found all suspension parts still good or recently replaced, but front K-member severely rusted through. Declared unsafe and unfixable, although at 112,000 miles the rest of the car is still in great shape.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Oct 312015

PT Cruiser

Ok this is the 10th complaint filed on this vehicle both by myself and mechanics who have worked on it in last 6 months. My vehicle caught fire beside my house this morning at 6am. Nobody in car and the only thing that alerted me was when my dogs went out and were barking like crazy. I will have the fire investigator report on Monday or Tuesday. I suggest Chrysler who has all the same complaints as you do pay attention when you are told a car is unsafe. I could have lost everything this morning so Chrysler better be glad was just car. I am still shaking and I am a single disabled mom thank god fire department got here when they did. I want answers!

- Chapel Hill, TN, USA

Sep 272015

PT Cruiser

Ok maybe 4th time is a charm on trying to get PT CRUISER off road. I had a fire in this vehicle due to overheating which was reported but dumb me put it out and replaced grill and radiator and had to take seperate loan out for $2500 in repairs and now vehicle won't start and now being told is computer well that explains why when we were trying to get out of car when was on fire the door locks didn't won't to work first time. The car is a 2002 with 100,000 miles on it and I have already put new tires on it and battery and had all these repairs done trying to save the car because I am a single mom on disability maybe since Chrysler is under investigation for injuries and deaths not being reported you can add me because I was burned during the fire trying to put out. I have forwarded every single documentation of every incident not only to Chrysler but NHTSA and now want me to replace a computer at $1300 this car is dangerous and have been told by everyone who has examined car it is serious but I guess if me or my son had died in car then maybe something would have been done. I have made my payments and paid full coverage insurance for 6 months while all this has been going on and only was able to drive car for a month. The vehicle is at Chrysler Dodge in columbia, tn and phone number is 1-931-380-0326. I have 9 tow bills and nobody cares that me or my son could have lost our lives!

- Chapel Hill, TN, USA

Aug 142015

PT Cruiser

I was driving 55 mphr and the car died. It wouldnt start back up had to tow it home. Replaced the timing, water pump, head gasket. It would crank but wont start. I never in my life had this much problems out of a some car.

- Cadiz, KY, USA

Jan 012003

PT Cruiser

2002 PT CRUISER sport model. Car would not start, when sitting far a few days, had been driving car all day and turned car off to do an errand and car would not start. Car has left me stranded where I had to have it towed several times. Bought car new and have had this problem for 7 years. Kept bringing back to the dealer and couldn't find any problems every time. Finally found a dealer service manager that knew the problem. Insufficient quality parts were being used when Chrysler was about to go bankrupt. The battery wires from the battery to the alternator were not supplying enough voltage to maintain enough to recharge the battery. Upgraded the wires to a higher voltage and have not had the problem for about 10 months. It took 7 years to find the problem which caused problems of me using the car. Chrysler used low grade parts through out the car and people are getting rid of them and then someone else buys it and it continues. I will never buy a Chrysler made car again, very unsatisfied customer considering how much I paid for it. Was way over priced at the time I bought it. I could buy a much better car and higher end model for what I paid for my car.

- Scott, LA, USA

Jan 202008

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact noticed that the dashboard in his vehicle was beginning to split in two different locations. One split was in the middle and the other was approximately a third of the way from the left. He was able to lift up the center piece. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that it would cost approximately $270 to replace the entire dashboard. The manufacturer has not been notified and the vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 150,000 and failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 202008

PT Cruiser

The dashboard on my 2002 PT CRUISER has 3 cracks in it. About a year ago I noticed the grate in the dash that disperses the air from the defrost vent on the top of the dash was deteriorating and the plastic grate pieces were breaking off. Earlier this year I noticed 2 cracks in the dashboard between the windshield and the defrost vent. Finally, in may while driving down the road I heard a loud noise that I thought was a rock hitting my windshield. When I looked at my dashboard I had a huge crack that now split the dashboard in half from the defrost vent all the way to the front of the dashboard back toward the inside of the car. At this time I have not taken any action to repair the dashboard because it is beyond warranty.

- Warsaw, VA, USA

Feb 212008

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. A few months ago, the contact noticed that her dashboard was cracking. She recently noticed that the entire dashboard was completely cracked, mostly on the passenger side and in the middle. The dealer and manufacturer have not been notified. The current mileage was 103,591 and failure mileage was approximately 68,000.

- Longview, TX, USA

May 012006

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The dashboard began to crack directly down the middle. The crack began at the very edge of the windshield in a horizontal line all the way across. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but they were unable to repair it for free. The contact refused to pay for the repair because he feels that it is not a normal wear and tear failure. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 85,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 092007

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. Two years ago, there was a small crack in the dashboard one morning. By the evening, the crack had grown larger. There are now three cracks in several places. Two years ago, the dealer stated that there were no related incidents. The contact filed complaint number 17372167 with the manufacturer and confirmed that there were no recalls. The vehicle does not have anti-lock brakes. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000 and current mileage was 57,000. Updated 04/22/08.

- Wilton Manors, FL, USA

Apr 202004

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Request another sticker advising anyone whom may drive her vehicle that the air bags were disconnected. The consumer had the air bags disconnected due to health concerns. (implanted defibrillator/pacemaker and asthma)

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 192002

PT Cruiser

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- De Pere, WI, USA