2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 292014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained chest injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 052014

PT Cruiser

Wife was sitting in a line of traffic waiting at a light. Vehicle came from behind and hit her at approximately 40. M.P.H. car was thrown into car in front of her which was then thrown into car in front of them. Breaking hood latch system, radiator, A/C cooler/, and bending hood up. Air bags never deployed. Wife sustained whiplash and cervical sprain, and had to be transported from scene by ambulance due to accident. Our car had in excess of 2500 dollars damage.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Aug 082014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, another vehicle crashed into the passenger's side and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact mentioned that no warning lights illuminated indicating an air bag malfunction. The contact sustained neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Richland , WA, USA

Jun 302014

PT Cruiser

Vehicle pulled out of business complex turn in left about a car lengths away from me when he pulled out..attempted to stop but vehicle was too close. No air bags deployed.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Mar 032010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The ignition key does not stay in when the engine is running. The mechanic who worked on the car in October said he has replaced several ignition switches in this model car. Could it have been manufactured by the same company as those involved in the GM recall? this problem has existed for several years.

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Sep 302011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I was driving the kids to school going about 20 mph and none of the airbags deployed. We hit the vehicle in front of us hard enough to break the bar behind the grill and smash into the radiator and ruin it. The bags should have deployed on that kind of impact.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Aug 112009

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving 30 mph he crashed into a parked vehicle. The vehicle was completely destroyed and none of the air bags deployed. He was transported to the hospital with severe injuries. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 66,200. Updated 10/27/09. Updated 10/29/09.

- Hillview, KY, USA

Sep 282009

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. He rear-ended another vehicle while driving 40 mph. None of the air bag deployed. He sustained head injuries. The cause of the failure was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 108,000. Updated 10/19/09 the consumer stated an attachment that was mailed to her that included info about the vehicle was not her.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

Sep 082003

PT Cruiser

Horn and radio stopped working...I replaced the clock spring...and it started all over again after about a month. I have had to replace a radio and speakers because of the intermittent problem. It causes my radio display to "pop" in and out and when it goes out I have no horn. The problem started about a year after I bought the car in 03.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 152006

PT Cruiser

I purchased my 2002 PT CRUISER with only 34,000 miles on odometer in January of 2006. Within six (6) months, the airbag light came on for no reason. I paid $1,000 to have the airbag assembly replaced and once again within six months, the airbag light came on. I was told this time that it was the airbag sensors that needed to be replaced.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Jul 302008

PT Cruiser

Airbag light comes on during tight right turns at speed.

- Cotati, CA, USA

Jun 292006

PT Cruiser

2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER air bags failed to deploy in an accident. Both occupants sustained multiple strains and bruises.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Apr 272006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

: the contact stated that the airbag light illuminated. The vehicle has not been inspected by a mechanic. Updated 7/5/2006 -

- Marion, OH, USA

Apr 232003

PT Cruiser

The contact stated the driver's side and passenger's side air bags deployed while driving down the highway. There was no prior warning. Also, the right front brake had a loud popping and squealing noise, this caused the steering wheel to vibrate. The right front brake overheated, it turned the rim red hot. He could smell the brake dust from the right front brake. He contacted the dealer, they have repeatedly replaced the brakes, brake pads, disc caliper, and rotors. He was still having the same problem with the vehicle. Updated 12/7/2005. The battery had to be replaced at 14972 miles.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Aug 302005

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The consumer stated that there was a recall on the air bag. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealership. The consumer's were involved in an accident on August 30,2005. The consumer stated that she was hit in the front and right side of bumper. The vehicle had side, front and seat air bags. Upon impact the air bags failed to deploy. The dealership told consumer that if she was trapped by the doors then she was going fast enough for the airbags to deploy. The consumer went to website and printed a form that asked about the problem, mailed the form back to Chrysler and has not received any response back. The consumer stated that the vehicle had damage of more than $5000. The consumer sustained injuries. The dealership said that nothing was wrong with the air bags. A police report was taken which showed that accident was not the consumer's fault. The consumer wanted attention to get this matter resolved. The consumer did not want to drive the vehicle as it was. The consumer stated the seat belt did not restrain her enough. The consumer was told the reason why the air bags didn't deploy was because the vehicle was hit to the right of the sensor and not in the center.

- Elisabethton, TN, USA

Feb 142005

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

For the past tw-three months, either it has stalled in the garage or on a busy thoroughfare. The authorized dealer has replaced transmission, I've had an oil change, we've had rental cars, tow trucks, I've missed church, flight connections, valuable time away from work-fifth time reporting-dealer has done everything-this car is going to be the death of me-it has toxic fumes-and is literally havine me to take it to the dealer and leaving it on the property. How do we contact the president, transmission has been replaced, it has had an oil change, the dealers can't find out what's wrong with it-and I'm ready to turn it in-it has cost me lost wages, time away from events in which I was to speak, and most of all, my sanity. How does one contact dr. Dr. dieter zetsche, the president" there is no E-mail address. Was there a fire" not yet, but there might be a loss of life if it continues to stall on these busy thoroughfares-it makes no sense.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Dec 032003

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While sitting at a red light, I was rear-ended by a Delaware cab (Crown Victoria); which continued to drive me into the car stopped in front of me and both of us into the pickup truck in front of her. It was a four car collision, with three of us being totally stopped when I was rear-ended. I contacted Chrysler and inquired as to why the air bags did not deploy and was told "we need to offer you a settlement". Chrysler had an "independent investigator" do an evaluation and has informed me that "we can not give you a copy of this report as it is a safety issue and if you want a copy you will have to sue us". my car was not running when the cab drove me into the Chevrolet lumina in front of me. The officer that responded to the accident asked if I had a switch to turn off the air bag, which the car did not. When the officer requested us to move the cars out of the roadway, he told me to stay out of my car, while the other cars were moved because he was concerned the air bags would deploy.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Mar 012004

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I was involved in a single car, front end collision, in which I hit a concrete structure head on at approx 45 mph. The airbags, neither driver or passenger, deployed, resulting in my hitting my head. I feel this is a defect and surely a great enough force to deploy the airbags. Dealer says it was simply that the sensors were not triggered. What more does it take to trigger the sensors?

- Ennis, TX, USA

Jun 152003

PT Cruiser

Consumer stated that when in a vehicle accident the air bags did not deploy. Dealer notified.

- Hunter, AR, USA

Apr 192002

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

All air bags failed to inflate in a side and front impact crash of 2002 Chrysler PT CRUISER.

- The Colony, TX, USA