8.0

1. replace upper control arm & ball joint (1 reports)
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jun 102011

PT Cruiser LS 2.2L

I bought the car used, 1 previous owner, she told me the driver's side had begun to squeak, but her husband was no mechanic. My husband has always worked on my cars, but didn't feel comfortable working on the PT Cruiser because of how compact they are built. He did however quickly identify the problem. The ball joint was going bad. I looked the part up on-line and it's like $12. I figured that's nothing right? So I take it down to a mechanic to price the labor. He tells me that unless you have already had to replace them once before he has to replace the control arm with the ball joint, because they didn't come stock with them separate So instead of paying $12 for the part you have to pay about $140.00-160.00. Then add another $170.00 for labor at least (this depends on where you go). Also, driving with a bad ball joint every time you turn or hit a bump you get to experience the loud screeching sound that resemble amplified seagulls. The mechanic also wanted to warn me about the risks of driving on a bad ball joint: You may think big deal you driving down the interstate and hear a few loud squeals, but then suddenly you hear a pop and your tire just falls right off. I thought at first that sounds like BS then my sister-in-law tells me it happened to her in her Civic so I better hurry and get it dealt with. Joy of all joys- now the other one is starting to squeal.

- , Richmond, VA, USA