1. replace multifunction light switch (2 reports)
  3. remove # 8 fuse (1 reports)
2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Feb 192015

PT Cruiser LTD 2.5L Turbo

Fog lights would not turn off. I discovered if I pushed the switch toward the center of the steering wheel, then they would go off, as long as I kept pushing it. Finally removed the fuse. Never fixed it,I figured we'd have to replace the entire multifunction switch. Then, next day, the whole car just "broke down completely" so the fog lights became irrelevant.

- , ramona, Ca, USA

Mar 102011

PT Cruiser GT 2.4L Turbo

In March of 2011 the battery went dead. Upon investigation we discovered that the fog lights were staying on because of a bad switch assembly in the steering column. Now 18 months later (Sep. 2012) the same exact thing has happened. What in the world is going on with these switch assemblies. This time there was a little puff of smoke.. Scarry! Pulled the switch out of the car while I wait for the replacement.

- , Ake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

May 162011

PT Cruiser

Here goes....Both my husband and I own PT Cruisers. Mine is 2003 his is 2004. The EXACT SAME PROBLEM happened to both cars ON THE SAME DAY!!! Obviously not a rare occurrence with PT Cruisers. All I had to do was Google the problem and suddenly there were hundreds of owners with the same issue. Apparently Chrysler is aware of this problem but will do nothing about it. I called the Chrysler dealership where we USE TO take our cars and "they had never heard of such a thing". I told them if I could find many angry owners in a matter of seconds they were obviously not paying close attention to their product. When I dropped my car, my husband's will follow tomorrow morning, off to our now regular mechanic I informed them of how common the issue is. They were pretty amazed. According to them it has to be common to elicit this kind of response from so many owners.

I just wish Chrysler would acknowledge the issue and do something about it. Apparently this stupid part costs about $58 and takes 1 hour to replace. It will cost me $200 for each car, not to mention a whole ton of inconvenience.

- , Lisle, IL, USA

Aug 252009

PT Cruiser Touring

Coming out to a dead battery, Lucky I got the extended warranty, they came out and jumped the car then I noticed the fog light indicator on in the dashboard and it would not go off! As the car cooled down, they would stay off after pushing the lever inward, But after a long drive fog lights again would not go off. That's when I pulled the #8 fuse which controls only the fog lights. Still I bought fog lights and now can't use them! Chrysler should do a recall! Read the many more complaints at

- , Santa Barbara, CA, USA