2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Apr 292011

PT Cruiser

After an oil change and fuel injector cleaning, the check engine light came on. car started sputtering and stalling, now it's running terrible.

- , Brooksville, FL, USA

Sep 082008

PT Cruiser 2.4L 4 cyl

So, here's my issue. I purchased this car from my local dealer July 2007 as used (first mistake). The first month I had the car it ran like a dream, but that second month was the beginning of the end. I'm driving to work, and my service engine light comes on, for no apparent reason. I take the car to the dealer and am told that an Oxygen sensor went bad, which they replaced at no cost to me, awesome! Three weeks later the damn light comes on again, so I have to go back to the dealer 25 miles from where I live, as the local Chrysler dealer won't touch the car, again I'm told that an Oxygen sensor is bad, and they again replace for free. Next month I'm driving along, car is running fine, and the service engine light comes on AGAIN!!!!!! So, I go back to the dealer for the third time, this time it's a sensor that monitors the "flow" of the other sensors that has gone bad. I ask the mechanic just how many sensors this car has, and he tells me 8, yes folks apparently a little 2.4 litre 4 cyl car has eight (8) O2 sensors. So it gets replaced, but this time I have to pay $150.00, granted not much in the grand scheme of things, but still. So after that sensor is replaced the car is now acting like it's not getting enough fuel when I step on the gas, or if I'm on the highway and step on the gas it starts to loose power, and I have to literally "feather" the gas petal in order to maintain my speed. I have to piratically ride the clutch when driving in-town in order to get enough power to stay with traffic, and if I happen to step on the gas too hard, the car shudders like I'm just learning how to drive a standard transmission. I've called several different shops, and have been told it could be a clogged injector, or a bad fuel pump (which are about $200.00 for the part), a bad fuel system, or a simple fuel filter. But I have to wonder if in the process of the three "sensors" going bad it hasn't damaged the engine? has anyone experienced this problem???

- , Roseville, CA, USA