2.4

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Sep 142016

PT Cruiser

Vehicle accelerated on its own, up to 4,000rpm with my foot off the gas pedal. When I stomped on the brakes car would not slow down, engine continued to run at 4,000rpm. To save my life and others shifted car into neutral, pulled over and turned off ignition. After a minute or two restarted the car and same symptom were present, engine reviving to 4,000rpm, foot off the gas pedal, on the brake pedal as a precaution. Note that when this first happened the car was not in cruise control mode, simply driving around town running errands. This situation is scary because I do not know when, how, if it is going to happen again, totally unprovoked and non-sensical as to why it is happening, what triggers the problem. This has now occurred twice recently and because of this nightmare scenario I am hesitant, very very hesitant to drive the car. It is a danger to my, my wife's life and other people on the road we may accidentally plow into if the car decides to go into runaway mode of its own volition. Your consideration of a response would be greatly appreciated.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 202012

PT Cruiser

Engine light came on, it acted like it was misfiring. Car shut off at around 60mph. Drifted off road and restarted and went a mile or so and it shut off again we kept doing that until we got home. The next day we took it to our mechanic it ran fine on the way there, around 15 miles. He put it on his computer, it read bad injectors so he replaced them. Then he took it for a ride and it acted like it was misfiring again he put it back on his computer and it read bad coil so he replaced the coil pack, plugs and plug wires. It ran fine for about 4 months. Until now 10/30/2012.. took back to mechanic, he replaced O2 sensors. Ran for 2wks. Same thing again! once again took back to mechanic. He put it on his computer once again and it read fine. He said we should take it to our Chrysler center. Although we couldn't ask for a better running car (when it is running right),this car is very dangerous to be on the road shutting off in traffic. I would hate to have to replace it. Please fine answer to problem.

- Schellsburg, PA, USA

Dec 012011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

My PT CRUISER has had to have all of the front end replaced, car started acting up at 50,000 miles and I now how almost 81,000 and I have replaced everything in the front end except the cv joints, which I hope does not need after I send this. I just had to have the rack and pinion done. When speaking with Chrysler directly they state that the PT CRUISER has had a lot of recalls due to front end, but I am told that my VIN number does not fall in the mix. I am the only owner of my PT CRUISER. I have replaced parts on my car starting back in 2010 early 2011.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 012005

PT Cruiser

The consumer PT CRUISER trip meter constantly reset itself, when this happens the dash lights flash on and off, gas gauge drops to empty and the bells start beeping. The mechanic sprayed static guard in it that time to resolve the issue, but this did not work. The consumer was told that the problem was with the cloth seats and to get out and grab the metal bar. The gear shifter knob would come off, there was a grinding noise in the rear due to the brakes, it was hard for the consumer to get out of the vehicle at time because the lock and tumblers were sticking, the engine would knock intermittently during acceleration and would only get 12.9 miles to the gallon and would run rough intermittently, and the gauges would quit working at times.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 212004

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Hose came loose from transmission causing vehicle to cut off several times.

- Harvey, IL, USA