2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jun 172010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

PT CRUISER on cruise control. Exit freeway and tap brake. Car begins to coast. As we approached stopped traffic the brake was applied again. Cruise kicked in again and instead of slowing we speeded up. Approximately 2:30 pm - no alcohol involved and no skid marks. Hit 5 other vehicles. My husband was driving and I was the passenger. I was very badly injured internally and had fractures to ribs, vertebra. And ankle. Seat belt and air bag saved my life but seat belt ripped my intestines and caused severe internal bleeding. My husband was in shock but without injury. It took 3 weeks to get a police report and on the report it stated that he had stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake. Not true -- not true. He yelled to me before the impact that the car was not stopping and I saw that he had the brake to the floor.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 102005

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Wife, driving into regular parking spot @ work. Speed 10 -15 mph. Applied brake and the vechile "lunged"forward. Striking the curb. Damage appeared minimal. But was quite extensive underneath. But there was quite a lot of damage to the engine subframe and underside of front, not visable externally. Cause....we think. A baby bottle rolled from the back seat and lodged under the brake pedal. In the PT CRUISER, there is a clear passage under the drivers seat. We are sure that this was the cause of our incident. I have installed a hardboard "stop" under the drivers seat to prevent a reoccurance. Passenger side has a storage drawer and thus is not a problem. Has there been other incidents where the cause could be an object rolling from the rear passenger area and getting jamed under the brake pedal?

- Lakewood, CA, USA