8.3

2. had to fix myself (1 reports)
2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jun 262007

PT Cruiser 4 cyl

i purchased the pt new in 2004, first wheel bearing went out at18,703milesstill under warranty , second wheel bearing went out at 56,820 miles cost $415.17 , third wheel bearing went out at 58,570 miles cost $404.40. i just wished chrysler would do right for the customer & recall the 2004 pt &fix this problem before a bad accident & someone may lose their life. CHRYSLER PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE FOR FIXING THE PROBLEM.

- , Acworth, GA, Bahamas

Oct 242008

PT Cruiser 2.4L 4 cyl

Worn out 2 sets of front wheel bearings in 120000 K. The car is too heavy for the platform that it is on (for a neon).

- , London, ON, Canada

May 102008

PT Cruiser

I was coming back from florida, and rolled over to 36,120 miles by the time I got home with bad bearings. Chrysler refused to fix it, even though it was only 120 miles out of warranty because I had to get it back from Florida.....

- , Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jun 122008

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4L Turbo

I bought my 2004 PT Cruiser last November, warranty had already expired 1 month prior at 36 months, but only had 28500 miles and was in excellent shape. Now at 33900 miles I have to replace both front wheel bearings/hubs and maybe knuckle joints. Mechanic quoted me at $290-300 to install the just the new bearings & hubs.

I have never owned a vehicle that needed new wheel bearings at such low mileage. 100000 is about normal (based on the 17 previous vehicle I have owned and growing up in my father's service station/repair shop), and after reading the posts at Topix.com on the same subject, I have found that this is a pretty common problem and may have to replaced several times before 100000 miles. Come on Chrysler! At least do a recall and replace the wheel assembly with parts that don't wear out way before their time!

Aside from the wheel bearing problem, I love my PT Cruiser!

- , Bend, OR, USA

Oct 092007

PT Cruiser GT 2.4L Turbo

VEHICLE MADE NOISE FROM FRONT END WHEN STEERING TO RIGHT AND OCCASIONAL NOISE WHEN GOING STRAIGHT. DEALER REPLACED FRONT LEFT WHEEL HUB / BEARINGS AND STEERING KNUCKLE UNDER WARRANTY. RIGHT FRONT BEARINGS LATER WENT OUT @ 39K MILES AND DEALER WOULD'NT COVER IT THEN.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Oct 092007

PT Cruiser GT 2.4L Turbo

DEALER ALREADY REPLACED LT FRONT WHEEL HUB / BEARINGS AND STEERING KNUCKLE UNDER WARRANTY @ 34K MILES. NOW THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS ARE SHOT @ 39K MILES. IT MAKES A METAL GRINDING NOISE FROM FRONT END. I WAS SURE IT WAS THE SAME LEFT FRONT END SO I TOOK IT TO DEALER AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS NOW THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BEARINGS AND NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTY. $98.00 LATER FOR THEM TO RAISE THE VEHICLE & FEEL THE WHEEL IS LOOSE WHEN YOU GRAB IT. THEY WANTED OVER $450 TO REPLACE THE BEARINGS AND HUB. BEARINGS ARE $32 AND I'LL JUST REPLACE THEM MYSELF THIS TIME. WHAT A CROCK!!!!

- , Corona, CA, USA