2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Nov 082014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly experienced unintended acceleration and caused the speed to increase to approximately 85 mph. Also, the contact indicated that the brakes malfunctioned and the vehicle would not stop when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,293.

- Worcester , MA, USA

Aug 172014

PT Cruiser

I recently purchased this vehicle about 3 months back. I was driving from vegas back home to los angeles on the I-15 freeway. I was on the far left side of the freeway and just touched the brake pedal. It was rock hard. It just wouldn't press down. I somehow managed to not get into a collision at that speed and moved over to the right shoulder, waited for the car to slow down and then started pulling the emergency brakes slowly. The car slowed down and since the brakes wouldn't get pressed I had to turn off the engine on the drive mode. I called 911. The state trooper that came checked the car, sat on the driver seat nd drove the car a bit. He looked at me and said "I don't know how you survived this. There are no brakes in the car". he checked the coolant, brake fluid, oil and everything was good. I called aaa who towed my car back to vegas to fix it. That cost me $424. The repair guy who fixed the car said he has never seen something like this. The manifold from where the pipes are connected to the brakes has a metal elbow that connects the pipes to the manifold. That metal elbow fell off and he tried setting it back on but it just wouldn't stay. This is a factory defect since the metal elbows comes with the manifold and that is made at the Chrysler factory. I took it to the dealer and he said the same thing. I called Chrysler and they wouldn't help me since there was no collision and the part is not under warranty. I checked online and this has happened to others as well. There have been no recalls!

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 112014

PT Cruiser

I have a concern about all the issues with this car. On March 29th my fog lights would not turn off even when ignition switch was turned off. I went on line and saw several "blogs" about this issue - I am an older women with minimal knowledge of these things so I went to a parts store that was open and the clerk pulled the #8 fuse out - for the fog lights so my battery would not run down before service/repair was open on Monday- the mechanic stated he could fix it and also that the dealership just took in a used cruiser and the fog lights did not work - they found that someone had took the fuses out for that cruiser also - is this a defective issue- appears now according to the internet the replacement part has been improved. I also had to replace the entire computer and again seems other cruiser owners have had this issue also - this is a lot of expense and with the loan on the car is difficult to now get a different car as this does seem to be a lemon - but I have to keep it till I can afford to get a different car - with all these issues - no one will want this one either.

- Mankato , MN, USA