2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 202012

PT Cruiser

While driveing 25 mph my vehicle dahs borad gauge just started lighting up. The seeed dometer started spending around, and then it just shut off, it started up again, but it did it several times before I was able to drive it.please help me to find out what is wrong with my car. I have had several thing replace on it and it still donig the same thing, cant afford a nother car now.

- Winder, GA, USA

Dec 012014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while approximately 25 mph, the vehicle gauges started to spin then all the warning lights illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Jun 202012

PT Cruiser

All warning lights come on, gauges on speedometer & tach spin around, fyi: Coil had been replaced one year prior.( vehicle then shuts off.) the dealer performed complete inspection of ignition and fuel injection system. No problems found. Removed cyclinder again to inspect for any internal failure & internal components are ok. Replaced injector as safety measure. Reassembled, drove and no further engine lite found. I have documentation up until a new transmission was installed on 9/29/14. This is an ongoing prob with exact same concerns and codes either don't showup at the dealer or are not accurate. As of today my car is doing the same things and just spent $2500 for new transmission that I feel it never needed in the first place. I feel the codes are not reading properly. Help !!! have no more money to put into car; it has only 29,000 miles right now. Afraid I'll get rear-ended so only use on side streets even though I have freeways accessible to me. Please this car is our only transportation; either needs to be recalled or fixed and no charge and reimburse me for $$$ spent. Thank you for your help I desperately need.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Jan 132011

PT Cruiser

The cars electrical all turns off the car stalls and turns off at all times I've changed the timing belt total power integration module and it still does this. It has almost cause an accident on multiple occasions stopping at different times at intersections and on the hwy.

- Southside , TN, USA

Oct 232014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- New Smyrna Beach , FL, USA

Oct 012014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. Consumer states while driving usually at low speeds under 40 miles the entire electrical system stops and dashboard lights up as if the car is not running. The dealer was unable to diagnose the problem.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Apr 152014

PT Cruiser

On multiple occasions the vehicle indicator panel lights come on with the bell tone sound and all gauges go to zero and loses power and stalls. When taken in for repair the mechanics can not find the problem. On September 24th was the most current incident and had to be towed. The initial diagnosis was that it was the transmission but after taking vehicle to a transmission specialist it was determined to be electrical and required the PCM module and the integrated power box to be replaced. After investing 2K by the end of this ordeal I do not feel very confident in the Chrysler product. Not assured that this is going to fix the problem after reading all the research and other complaints on this issue. When a replacement part was sent to the transmission shop directly from the manufacturer it too was defective and now I have to wait four more days for my car to be repaired. What poor quality control and poor customer service from the manufacturer. I am very upset and disappointed in the Chrysler product.

- Pace, FL, USA

Mar 152014

PT Cruiser

While driving, the dashboard lights will intermittedly light up and the gauge indicator needles on the dashboard will drop to zero. Three times since I purchased the car in March 2014, it has cut off with these symptoms while driving in traffic causing great risk for an accident. This is very scary. I have to bring the car to a complete stop, put it park and then restart the engine, hoping that no one will rear end me. Imagine this happening on the highway or in a busy intersection. I have taken the car to a mechanic who performed diagnostics on all of the computer modules. No error codes came up although he informed me that when you restart the car, the computer modules reset each time. Data from multiple start-ups is not stored. I also had the car checked by an auto electrician who was unable to detect any shorts in the electrical system. The battery is fully charged and the alternator seems to be working fine. I suspect that this may have something to do with the ignition switch. There is currently a recall on some 2008 models related to the ignition switch. Or, possibly the seat belt sensor in the passenger seat is causing a short when something of any weight is put on the passenger seat, such as my purse. I wonder if the weight threshold is being triggered on and off causing the elctrical system to be confused. I've not put anything on the seat for the last week and have not expereinced the issue so far but that could be a coincidence. I see lots of these same complaints online from years back to present and do not understand why Chrysler has not figured out the problem and issued a recall for repairs. It would be a shame for someone to be injured or killed due to their negligence. If anyone knows the solution to this problem, please let me know asap.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Sep 102012

PT Cruiser

Car dash lights would all light up, (all indication lights) then the car would shut off completely while driving all power would go off. The car won;T restart for several minutes. The problem has gotten worse, now on route one highway at the rate of speed 65 miles an hour the car shut off, avoided a accident with a tractor trailer, no one seems to know what the problem is cannot help me.

- Harrington, DE, USA

Jan 142014

PT Cruiser

In jan14 my car wouldn't start, took to the dealer. April11 it took it back to dealer because it took 4 times to start the car. When started, while driving the elec panel lights wld randomly flicker, eng light often. Jul14 car back at dealer, all panel lights wld flicker while driving, car wld accelerate while driving and sounding like in wrong gear at 35mph, didn't get car back until aug08. One hour later, returned car to dealer car still accelerated while trying to stop at a four way intersection. Got car back 2 days later. Car accelerated on aug28, cut off while driving 30mph, dash lit up, gas gauge went full to empty, car launched forward and then started on its own again, this happened twice. Took car to dealer on aug29 and still have no car!!!! today is Sept 11th. Each time the dealer would state nothing is wrong and no signs of anything. They would not listen nor record anything I told them on the paperwork, they continued to ignore everything I said. I have paid a lot of money to get the car fixed and it was not until this last time that I finally got a loaner to drive (two door Fiat). A case manager from auburn hill, mi at the headquarters has contacted me, but still nothing has been done!!!!!!!!!!! now the dealer wants me to test drive the car with them, though I told them that it randomly happens. They continuously act like there is no problem, though I have found numerous complaints online regarding the same thing. Something needs to be done asap before people get seriously injured and/or lives lost. This is something that can not be swept under the rug. As a retired assembly line worker of car parts I find it interesting how my case and others have been handled. The lack of concern, accountability, follow through and resolution is done poorly.

- Youngstown , OH, USA

May 212014

PT Cruiser

All dash lights flash and car sometimes stalls. Very frequent loss of headlights, wipers, all gauges and blinkers.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

May 092014

PT Cruiser

Driving vehicle, all dashboard lights blink on and off, cars stalls, brakes and steering lock up. This has happened at least 15 times over the last few months, and is very dangerous. Also, sometimes the engine fan won't shut off when car is turned off, and it drains the car battery. This has happened at least 10 times. That part is getting expensive and very irritating, but the stalling out and completely dying, is very dangerous, because you can't always get off the road.

- Newcastle, CA, USA

Sep 032007

PT Cruiser

This is in concern to a 2006 PT CRUISER touring purchased at bob schwartz Chrysler in March 2007; bunker hill, in. Short time after the vehicle was purchased, attempted to start vehicle and it would not start: (make note this vehicle has approxiamately 16,500 miles on it now). Took the vehicle back to dealer and new battery was installed, this happen multiple times without problem being resolved(ie: Bob schwartz X4, precision auto, crow's auto, and ****wabash valley Chrysler; 1st case****). 2 cases have been opened with Chrysler corporation (auburn hills, mi). 1st case resulted in another new battery and alternator being replaced (Oct 2013). 2nd case is ongoing with no resolution in sight. Vehicle is now back at original dealership for diagnostics and have not found a solution. At all instances we have incurred multiple diagnostic, cost of towing vehicle, battery cost, co-pays and never been offered a rental car to offset the undue burden this has caused. **** schwartz service department indicated to us before last service (bob schwartz) that prior to our purchase of the vehicle; it had previously been serviced for an electrical problem and this was not disclosed at the time of purchase.******this vehicle was purchased at bob schwartz Chrysler; since then with regard to this intermittent electrical problem, this car over the course of 2007 to present has been at bob schwartz X2, precision auto, crow's auto, back to bob schwartz, wabash valley Chrysler (ie. 1st case with Chrysler corporation 2013) and now back to bob schwartz (ie. 2nd case with Chrysler corporation).

- Denver, IN, USA

Jul 242014

PT Cruiser

Driving on the interstate the panel lights started to come on. At 1st it was slowly until it filled the panel, later the whole group would pop on, and then go off. The 1st six or eight times they came on the only thing that was effected was the lights and gauges. As I continued to drive then the lights and gauges would act up, but the car would stall, or shut off and then pop back on. When examined by the Chrysler dealership on the diagnostic machine ($95), they found ignition switch failure was occurring. I spoke to Chrysler group customer care and they said it was not their ignition switch at fault, but the posts were burnt due to age"?? if the car was already running and I was not touching the key, why or how did these posts come into play?"

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Mar 192014

PT Cruiser

My battery lite comes on when started and stays on..have had battery, cables, etc etc checked and all show good...also the air conditioning works very little but according to all the mechanics that have checked it over everything shows in good working order...I was told by a mechanic at the Chrysler dealership that it needs to be put on a machine for $100 an hour and if it shows the "main computer module" then these issues are "infixable"..it is something I will have to "deal with" and hope that there really isnt anything serious wrong he tells me...same way with the fog lites on the car..they come on and go off..sometimes they comeon and wont go off...again I was told it was "unfixable"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I work hard every day and pay my bills...I cant afford to be told that these issues with my car are "unfixable"...somebody help!!!!

- Midway, AR, USA

Jul 172014

PT Cruiser

Going down the road and lights come on the dash and motor cuts off with no warning almost got reended from this happening. Have taken it to many mechanics and even an electrol place and none of them can figure out the problem. If anyone figures out this problem please post before someone get hurt or killed I drive in a major city and on the interstates and it has happened to me on the interstate and I have had to pull over to the side to try to get out of the way please someone help I cant afford to go out nd buy another car if I did I will not buy another chystler product and all my friends and family say they wuldnt either.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jul 082014

PT Cruiser

I have a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER limited turbo with only 31,262 miles on it that started out a couple of months ago by the seat-belt light coming on first followed almost immediately by all of the surrounding warning lights coming on and the gauges all dropping to nothing. It repeated this several times an then stopped and went back to normal. Since then this has happened once out of approximately every three times driving it, doing the same thing described above. Today all that changed, not only did the lights and gauges go crazy, the engine died repeatedly as well, all this happened in 40 mph traffic. It scared me to death, I had no control and with it happening as fast as it was I had no way of warning the cars behind or beside me. Just as I have seen by other people with the same issue over and over again and with the 2006 model the post are all the same issue, all happening in the same sequence, all taking their cars to mechanics of all types, dealership and independent and "not one mechanic has found a solution or even an idea of why this is happening". my wife and I are like most I have seen and cannot afford to keep taking it in to be told they can't find the problem and definitely aren't in a position to be able to afford to purchase another vehicle. Will beg Chrysler to help us all out. Please figure out what is causing this before someone is hurt or even killed. Very frustrated to say the least.............

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Jun 182014

PT Cruiser

2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER- the lights on my dashboard all light up along with all the warning alarms. Sometimes the car completely shuts off while driving above 30 mph - 65 mph in the city and on the highway then kicks back on within a few seconds. This problem has been on going. I have had professional mechanics look at my car with no luck or resolution to the problem. Luckily no accidents as of yet. I want to get rid of the car, but I don't want to be responsible in case an accident occurrs for someone else. I can't get it fixed if no one or Chrysler hasn't made the problem known to the public. I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. After a year long search I found 47 other complaints similar if not the very same issue I'm dealing with.

- Anderson, IN, USA

May 192014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

2006 PT CRUISER, approx. 55,000 miles. First the seat belt warning light flashes on, then all the warning lights on the dashboard come on. All my gauges drop except the fuel gauge. The speedometer gauge moves up and down after dropping. It feels like power is lost to the engine when it is happening. Within seconds, the warning lights go out and the gauges stabilize and things are normal. Sometimes this happens only once while driving, other days it happens 4-5 times in a row. I am told it is a common problem with the 2006 model. Why is there no recall or repair thru Chrysler?

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Dec 302013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I got the car 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems. All the dash lights come on and the gauges go to zero. It has almost caused me to be in an accident, it died in the middle of a busy intersection, it has died while I'm stopped at a red light and happens at various speeds, I've replaced the, alternator, starter, gauge cluster and some other small things and nothing is working. I've seen a lot of people with the same problem, Chrysler should be doing something about this, I don't know what to do anymore with it, I'm not rich I can't afford a new car or to keep putting money into the car.

- Florissant , MO, USA