2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Apr 042008

PT Cruiser

Purchased 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER, touring edition Oct 2007 with 26100 miles on it. Only recall was for side glass that was changed, no accidents on carfax or reported otherwise. Car sat for first couple of months and then when we began driving it, had different electrical problems, thought to be low battery, got battery charged. Next and most crucial thing, we were out at dusk in a blinding rain storm and the headlights, windshield wipers, turn signals and a few other things went. I had 3 heads out windows to get to safety, traffic was heavy, couldn't even signal to get off the road safely - it was a hair raising event. I checked the internet and saw hundreds of similar complaints about this vehicle. Checked with Chrysler and told basically to kiss off as I had just imported the car to Canada so no warranty although it still has under 28,000 miles on it and of course there is no recall regarding the control module which is what went out. I feel so strongly about this - I could have had a head on collision when I lost my lights and wipers and could have been struck in the rear by someone who didn't know I was turning off the road. It sounds as though many many people have experienced similar things with this vehicle so I feel that it should be investigated. There is obviously a weakness in their electrical systems that needs to be corrected. These vehicles are apparently made in Mexico!!

- Blaine, WA, USA

Nov 112006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Starting around Nov of 2006 while driving at any speed, the instrument cluster indicator lights turn on; all the gauges go dead I.e. the speedometer, the tachometer, the gas gauge all go to zero. The warning sounds beep constantly. The 2006 PT CRUISER will lose power and/or severely hesitates, power steering will fail, the brakes will fail, I have had to use the hand brake one to many times to slow the car down. I have had several near misses with other vehicles on the roads. I curb the car twice, damaging my tires once, so as to not hit other drivers. This has been happening for over a year now. I have taking it massey-yardley where I bought the pt, to have looked at over a dozen maybe even more I have lost count, I have tried to lemon the car, Chrysler stated that there is nothing wrong with the car because the dealership has not reproduce the problem. I have taking the pt to other dealerships with the same result. Just recently I took the car in again to massey-yardley for poor gas mileage and the same power problem, this time with a check engine light active, in Nov of 2007, the dealership said it was a bad instrument cluster and a bad oxygen sensor, which they replaced. I am still having the above stated problem, the dealership stated on Nov 16 of 2007 they know something is wrong but since they cannot reproduce the error to trouble shoot it they will not fix it. The dealership also said since I'm not happy with the results I should go to another dealership to have it looked at! I'm going to do that but it's hard when you have to work! plus massey-yardley will not give me a statement to that fact of unknown defect in writing.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 212007

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I was driving 65 mph on freeway, all indicator lights come on, all gauges go to zero, engine begins to die. 2006 PT CRUISER powers down when driving. This is very dangerous on any road because there is no warning when this happens. This could cause a serious accident or death. On Sept. 21,2007 the car was towed to Chrysler dealer. 1st time we were told it was the main computer, that needed to be reprogrammed. Two weeks later October 24th 2007 it happened again, car towed to same dealer. Were told this time it was a main fuse coming loose while driving. The dealer installed a metal plate over the fuse to keep it from coming loose. We were assured that was the problem fixed. Three weeks later November 13,2007 it happened again. It was towed to dealer. We were told this time they couldn't find anything wrong with it and just to monitor it.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Mar 252007

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The 2006 pt crusier has had the same problems since day one!! all the lights and gauges on the dashboard went haywire and then the car shut off while driving. Took the car to a crystler service station 4 times, and they could not fix it because they could not duplicate the problem. I was almost in an accident yesterday because of the car just stopping while driving. I need help!!! I am a single mother and terrified for my son and myself.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Sep 162006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

On September 16, October, 27, March 6, and April 24, after having parked my car all day in the sun and upon starting for home with the airconditioning on low, my car stalled while I was driving at between 35-40mph. Each time it stalled within 5-10 minutes of having been started. Each time all the red indicator lights on the dashboard blinked on and off. Each time I was able to pull over to the side, put the car in park, and restart the engine to continue home. Each time I took it to the dealership. Each time the service department kept my vehicle (a 2006 PT CRUISER purchased in February or 2006) for between 2-7 days and could not find a problem or replicate the stall. I reported the situation to customer service at Chrysler corporation in December and again in April. I have also spoken with the general manager at normandin Chrysler. I feel that the vehicle is unsafe, but I have little recourse but to drive it since the service department said that Chrysler corporation will do nothing if the problem cannot be replicated or identified. I am a long-time Chrysler product customer having bought all of my cars at the same dealership since 1979.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 182007

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving down the freeway the door locks started clicking like they do when hitting the wireless remote. At the same time the flashers would go on. This continued intermittently all the way to work on city streets as well. I have not contacted the dealer at this time. My passenger airbag light went on, sometimes when I was driving. I took the car in to my mechanic in January for a complete brake job. The rotors needed replacing. I had less than 10000 when the car would shimmy violently when the brakes were applied. I took it back to my mechanic, and he informed me that the rotors were not of a material made to with stand much heat. He advised a beefier rotor. There was now a heavy duty rotor available on the after-market. I did not take this problem to the dealer because they most likely will tell me I was too hard on the brakes. If that were the case the Honda, which had 107000 miles on it would have been in for brakes several times by now, it was on the first set and finally needed pads.. another car did not see me coming and pulled out in front of me. When I went to hit the horn it would not honk. I had to reposition my hand several times to find the right spot and then push very hard. I planned to get rid of this car and never purchase another american car again. I have always had nothing but trouble with them. *

- Dutch Flat, CA, USA

Aug 032006

PT Cruiser 4WD 4-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle stalled numerous times. The dealer changed an electronic module. The service dealer determined the gas was contaminated, but the vehicle had this problem on separate occasions.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jul 292006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Poor fuel economy, computer and electrical malfunctions, poor repair & diagnostic abilities of dealer service team. 12 mpg off the lot and no better than 16 so far including a trip to the keys. The H3 gets 20 !! continuous computer related issues with dash displaying erroneous readouts. "repaired" 1X, in for 2nd attempt now. My big lemon stamp is ready.

- Wpb, FL, USA