CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 is the worst year for PT Cruiser engine complaints. Having an engine light on is annoying, but it's the complaints about the engine shutting-off while driving that really have us concerned.

1.8

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 022016

PT Cruiser

After 5 months of ownership, I have been experiencing recurrent problems with my 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER stopping while driving and failing to start. I have had my fuel pump replaced, alternator replaced, timing belt and water pump replaced, transmission replaced, and radiator replaced. Despite these parts being replaced, my car continues to randomly stop while driving and then does not start. These items were replaced as they were "thought" to be the problem but obviously they are not the problem. These repairs have been costly and they have not fixed the problem. Moreover, this is a serious safety issue, as the last time my car stopped while driving, I was in the middle of an intersection making a left turn. I had my children in the car. This was extremely terrifying and substantially dangerous. No check engine light comes on so the mechanic is not able to pin point the exact problem of why my car shuts off while driving and then fails to start. Also, at times, my lights shut off and turn on along with the wipers randomly but not when the car has shut off. The light problem happens independently of the car shutting off. It shuts off without warning. When I try to start the car, it will sometimes turn on after multiple attempts but then the car will sputter a bit and then car shuts off completely. I had my car towed many times when the car did not start after several attempts.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jun 172014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving various speeds, the vehicle lost power and multiple warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. The accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle previously stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on multiple occasions, but it was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The contact was unsure if the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Jun 152016

PT Cruiser

On 6/15 it was necessary for me to take this vehicle on the road. I should have known better since it's issues have been increasing in severity with each drive. I can no longer drive on the highway and local driving which necessitates stopping at traffic lights and stop signs is challenging to say the least. Becoming increasing difficult to start; engine bucks when attempting to accelerate from a stop and continues to do so while driving. It continues to stall without warning and my mechanic cannot even get my dashboard to function; none of my gauges are operational and of course I have no interior lighting at all. I have read so many similar complaints and find it difficult to understand why Chrysler has not been forced to address the issues with these vehicles beyond offering a kit for purchase which will not guarantee acceptable results. I urge everyone filing and/or reading these complaints to take some action. Contact the dot, speak with a lawyer, be a voice and continue to be a voice until someone, somewhere takes action on our behalf. I'm not able to trade this car; who would want it; still paying down my loan on it and pray every time I leave the house that I will be able to return home safely. What a disgrace this is.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 062016

PT Cruiser

Car engine shuts off without warning while driving and/or while making turns, or after coming to a stop and steering freezes; engine revs up and down while driving and cannot accelerate; difficulty restarting; interior light blinks and all dashboard gauges suddenly ceased working; replaced rear quarter glass, broken fastener caused car to flood.part recall no. G01 and I had it replaced. Car has been inspected by mechanics and issues cannot detected nor fixed.

- Naples, FL, USA

May 172016

PT Cruiser

Have replaced crank shaft seal 3 times and each time the seal is blown. Dealers are aware of this issue and provide a kit $787 plus $2,000 to install) that replaces the faulty design of the crank shaft, crank shaft bearings, connecting rod bearings, and timing belt and the dealers do not gaurantee that replacing these will resolve the issue. Spoke to Chrysler customer complaint line and there is nothing that Chrysler has been willing to do as of this date unless enough consumers file a complaint. Reading online, there are tens of thousands of consumers with the same issue. The issue is common in all 2.4L size engines in various makes, models and years including Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler. Chrysler apparently corrected this design flaw in their engines in later years beyond 2007, however, have not offered a solution for prior years. I highly recommend posting this issue (as thousands of others have done) on related auto mechanical websites pertaining to this known mechanical flaw with the engine design.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

May 102016

PT Cruiser

2.7 liter engine right exhaust camshafft failed. When I attempted to get a replacement I was told that due to the high numbers of failures the part is on a serious backlog. The cam failed while driving locally and the vehicle had to be towed.

- White City, OR, USA

Apr 212016

PT Cruiser

Electrical dash board, gauges - RPM, gas, temp, go around up and down wildly causes sudden deceleration. All trouble lights come on, battery, seat belt, oil, air bag and go on then off. I had this happened 7 yrs ago and dealer would not repair until dash board was not working. Then dash board completely stopped working and dash board was replaced under warranty. Now it is acting up again. Reading all the complaints. There are over 10 complaints from all over the county about the same issue. Today I was able to finally take video/picture of the trouble lights coming on and off. The dials and lights were going on and off going all the way around and all the way back down again. There are so many complaints about this unsafe issue.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Apr 142016

PT Cruiser

When randomly driving all the lights on the dashboard go crazy, the fuel gauge goes to empty even when it's a full tank, the car loses power and the engine starts to stall... it's very scary because where I drive there are busy highways and I'm scared too death I'm going to get killed or kill someone.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Mar 022016

PT Cruiser

When driving all lights on dash will come on, gauges will go off and on, and the engine has died in the road several times. The time it dies while driving is scariest part it has so far restarted after getting off road. Afraid when someone is following too close they will hit us or I hit them as I travel on the frwy 120 miles a day. Many people seem to have this go on. Chrysler fix this or I will have a class action lawsuit. Should fix before customers are killed! this has been ongoing problem since about 90,000 miles it has 132,000 now I have taken car to multiple mechanics and no one can find out was wrong. Engine died and restarted today on the freeway 3/2/16.

- Perris, CA, USA

Feb 012016

PT Cruiser

Tipm already replaced 1X for same issues occurring again now, a few years later and for at least the last 8 months from this posting, occurring more and more frequently now and last time occurring was Feb 01, 2016. All dash / engine status lights come on for no reason, then off seconds later, occurring anytime while engine is running. Engine stalls - sputtering, power steering and breaks fail to work properly during this time, fuel level gauge wildly fluctuates and smell of gas is noticeable, all causing a dangerous situation when at highway speeds. Head lights and interior lights randomly go bright or dim for a fraction of a second. Dealership unable to diagnose as it does not stay broke long enough for their techs to diagnose with their equipment even after having the car for 2 full days, despite this problem seen visually by dealer and on video recording. Suspect tipm / ECM, integrated voltage regulator is at fault. Extended warranty refuses to replace without a certified diagnosis by authorized repair shop. 2nd major problem with 4 engine mounts needing replacement several times, more than 10 mount replacements during life of my car, so far. 3rd major problem, transmission sometimes will not auto shift gears in a timely manor, taking up to 4 seconds to engage drive or other from park setting. I have the entire life of vehicle paperwork on all repairs and regular maintenance done for this car. Hoping there is a class action lawsuit I can get in on for this problem, seen reported numerous times on various forums like this dot site.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 272016

PT Cruiser

2006 Chrysler P.T. time after time engine indicator lights come one, sometimes engine dies. Have been able to re-start in motion, but when will this become disasterous? per internet, hundreds of folks have the same problem, yet Chrysler nor nhstb does zilch. Dealer has no clue after doing diagnostic. Will never buy another Chrysler product. So much for government giving a S---! this week it has happened everytime the car has been driven.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Jun 102015

PT Cruiser

Driving vehicle cuts off when I stop.on highways....engine revs up car go faster like throttle or gas petal stuck have to apply brakes automatic transmission sometimes won't change gears I have to restart car about three times runs good for couple days does same has been in shop 4 times had timing belt and motor mount replaced.new ignition switch, not key side battery check eng. And battery light back on dont communicate with shop diagnostic machine.. still having problems with gears afraid of this car and has not finish paying for it yet

- Lillington, NC, USA

Sep 222015

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the oil warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the front crank shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Sedonia, AR, USA

Aug 282015

PT Cruiser

All lights on instrument panel flashes on-off. Sometimes the gauges will zero-out and go back to normal position. Sometimes when the lights flash and gauges zero-out, there will be a quick power loss. Maybe 2-3% of the time power loss will be substantial almost needed to pull over. More often than not, it seems to happen more in the heat and possibly rain or day after a heavy rain.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Feb 142007

PT Cruiser

I was entering highway and I stepped on the excelerator to the floor and the car would not go over 45mph and started to stall all lights on dashboard lit up and there was a semi truck going 70 mph comming from behind almost rear ended me I have now had to change 4 sensors in this vehical now just recently my husband had the same experience the car just shut off completly while he was driving.,

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Apr 012011

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled, the steering wheel seized, and the entire instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Bay City , MI, USA

Feb 272015

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While attempting to accelerate, the front end of the vehicle experienced severe vibration. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who diagnosed that the motor mounts were faulty. The top motor mounts were replaced, but the vehicle continued to experience the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Bailey, NC, USA

Jan 282015

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. After starting the vehicle, it started shaking and stalled without warning. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,736.

- Seattle , WA, USA

Dec 012014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

• 1,003,000 miles
I was driving home about 7pm doing about 25mpg when my car shut off, when it shut off it sounded like a quite snap, I tried to start it and it was making like a whirling sound so I stop trying to start it and towed it home and found out it was a broken timing belt.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jan 142014

PT Cruiser

In jan14 my car wouldn't start, took to the dealer. April11 it took it back to dealer because it took 4 times to start the car. When started, while driving the elec panel lights wld randomly flicker, eng light often. Jul14 car back at dealer, all panel lights wld flicker while driving, car wld accelerate while driving and sounding like in wrong gear at 35mph, didn't get car back until aug08. One hour later, returned car to dealer car still accelerated while trying to stop at a four way intersection. Got car back 2 days later. Car accelerated on aug28, cut off while driving 30mph, dash lit up, gas gauge went full to empty, car launched forward and then started on its own again, this happened twice. Took car to dealer on aug29 and still have no car!!!! today is Sept 11th. Each time the dealer would state nothing is wrong and no signs of anything. They would not listen nor record anything I told them on the paperwork, they continued to ignore everything I said. I have paid a lot of money to get the car fixed and it was not until this last time that I finally got a loaner to drive (two door Fiat). A case manager from auburn hill, mi at the headquarters has contacted me, but still nothing has been done!!!!!!!!!!! now the dealer wants me to test drive the car with them, though I told them that it randomly happens. They continuously act like there is no problem, though I have found numerous complaints online regarding the same thing. Something needs to be done asap before people get seriously injured and/or lives lost. This is something that can not be swept under the rug. As a retired assembly line worker of car parts I find it interesting how my case and others have been handled. The lack of concern, accountability, follow through and resolution is done poorly.

- Youngstown , OH, USA