8.9

2. car will start to shake and will stall while driving (1 reports)
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

May 232012

PT Cruiser Limited V6

I brought this car and when I took it off the lot it went OK for about 6 months. After that the motor went out, had to get another motor for $1200.00. Then the wires burnt up in the engine,$ 700.00. It would stall at a red light; as soon as I turn on the air conditioner, the motor sounds like it is pulling down; did I mention that it shakes bad; turns off in the middle of driving; jerks really bad when it is about to turn off.

I have been to the shop a total of 16 time in the 4 years I have had it. Is it haunted or just ready to die, did i mention that it shakes bad???

- , fordyce, AR, USA

Jun 062013

PT Cruiser Touring Edition 2.4L Inline 4

blown head gasket, verified by mechanic I'm the mechanic this poor car was brought to. I have heard MANY stories of head gasket problems on the Chrysler 2.4 inline 4 cylinder engines. I did the last oil change on this car, so naturally I was concerned - I checked but there didn't seem to be any external leaks and the drain plug and filter were still in place. Oil level was so low it showed just a drop on the end of the dipstick. The customer cranked the engine over while I looked under the hood and it sounded like the engine had no compression. None. I guessed maybe timing belt, but couldn't verify that onsite. The car was towed to my garage, I found on further inspection that coolant was also low. Pulled intake manifold and valve cover, verified that timing belt was Ok by using a remote starter and watching the cams turn as the engine was cranked over. A compression test showed less than 30 psi on the best cylinder. Air cleaner box was full of oil, and also found engine oil pooled on top of transmission housing. Checked under car as best I could to asses any other contributing factors. It appears that the engine already has the 'upgraded' MLS steel head gasket as I can see two rivets in the part of the head gasket that extends out past the top of the cylinder block as viewed from underneath. As far as I can tell this car has not had any engine repair work done up to this point, so it seems to me a mechanical parts failure based on engine design. (I am an ASE certified master tech in three major categories with L-1 and L-2 drive-ability certifications as well, and over twenty five years experience with a wide variety mechanical repair and machining behind me. I do feel somewhat qualified to make this judgment). It was reported to me that there was no warning of failure, the car just lost power and stopped in the middle of a trip, on the freeway, fully warmed up and in clear conditions. These are very odd conditions for this type of failure to occur. I estimate that with parts and machine work the repair will probably run around $1000 for my customer to put this car back in serviceable condition. It alarms me that I will not be able to guarantee with any certainty that the repairs I do will be effective for any more than the mileage currently shown on the odometer. I called a local Chrysler dealership just on the off chance that maybe there was a recall of some kind being offered to owners of these cars for premature engine failures and was told that nothing is offered past the basic warranty. In my opinion, this is a premature failure - and I would have to say that a manufacturer that cared about their product would have some consideration for customers who had a car with these problems at this mileage. I don't see that there is a class action lawsuit as of yet, but I will do full documentation for my customer so they have all the information required should that come up in the future. For those considering a purchase of any Chrysler product with this engine, I would say - don't.

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 092009

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4 cyl

we purchased a 2006 chrysler pt cruiser limited edition last year. two weeks later we tried to take a road trip and it started to stall out on us driving down the highway did it several times on the trip but we assumed it was just bad gas that we bought. we flushed and cleaned everything out thinking it would stop but it just keeps doing it more and more. a very annoying and i feel dangerous problem that should be addressed by the chrysler manufacturer. and on top of that everytime we stop at a red light or try to let it idle it will start spitting and sputtering and stall out.

- , Junction City, KS, USA

Jun 072010

PT Cruiser Turbo

I am still making payments on this car and I will be driving along and it starts to run really rough and then stalls out. Usually the engine light comes on. I have to remove the battery cable for 10 minutes to get a temporary fix.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 012008

PT Cruiser Turbo

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo that began having problems approximately 2 years ago. It runs rough...it stalls....it loses power on the freeway. I've had it in the shop approximately 12 times for same problem. Sometimes the engine light comes on. Sometimes it doesn't. It NEVER does the same thing when it is in the shop. I'm told Chrysler has a policy as to how they handle these problems. However, I was also told nobody else has had this problem.

From reading input here, I know that is not true. I'm afraid I'm going to get killed or cause the death of someone else trying to get out of the way driving down the road. When it stalls and stops, I lose the ability to steer! Has ANYONE found a fix? I bought the extended warranty. That didn't do me any good. I keep paying miscellaneous charges for "checking out" the problem. Today I was told that since Chrysler isn't going to make the PT anymore, this problem would probably NOT get fixed. Has anyonce considered a class action suit?

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Feb 232007

PT Cruiser

PT Cruiser had been in the shop 5 times since purchased. It's a brand new 2006 car. There's obviously a major computer problem with the car and every 2 months or so, it shuts down another "computer-controlled" part of the engine. Have contacted Chrysler Corp. for solution but their policy is "as long as dealer "fixes" car, buyer has no recourse directly with them. No new car should be in the shop 5 times during the first year, but Chrysler refuses to stand behind their product and do what's right. They essentially have told me I'm stuck with the car. They would not let me talk to the district manager who made the decision that I'm not entitled to any satisfaction concerning the amount of times it's been in the shop. Not saying all PT Cruisers are bad, but I got a bad one, I understand that, just want Chrysler to show a little respect to their consumers.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 032008

PT Cruiser

My wife and I bought a new 2006 pt cruiser and starting at about 15k miles we have been having an intermittent stalling problem. It happens while sitting at a stop light, or driving down the road. While sitting at a stop light it will start running rough and then die. While driving down the road it will just die, but since it is a manual transmission it will roll start usually within 500 ft. I have had it into the dealership repeatedly and since the car doesn't set a code they tell me they can't find anything wrong. Occasionally the check engine light will come on but the next time I start the car it is off again and there are no codes stored. I feel like the dealership is stringing me along to let the warranty expire. It also intermittently uses oil but I don't know if the two are related. The dealership told me today that 1 quart of oil per 800 miles was acceptable consumption for the pt motor, bullsh*t! that is almost the full capacity of the motor between oil changes.

- , Newberg, OR, USA