CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 is the worst year for PT Cruiser engine complaints. Having an engine light on is annoying, but it's the complaints about the engine shutting-off while driving that really have us concerned.

3.1

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jun 092015

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Almost 3 months ago, the indicator lights on the instrument panel started flashing. The gas gauge, the speedometer, the seat belt light, and other lights, except the check engine light, flashed on and off intermittently. I took it to my mechanic who could not find the source of the problem even using the diagnostic tool. In July, after servicing the car (tune-up) and with my reporting the continuation of the intermittent flashing, my mechanic told me to take the car to the dealer. I took it to the dealer, they kept it for two days and were unable to duplicate and therefore diagnose the problem. For that I paid $145. Sometimes when the lights are flashing and the indicators are acting crazy, the car has slowed as if it was going to stop. On Tuesday of this week, the car shut itself off completely when I started to drive after stopping for a traffic signal. I was able to get the car started again after putting it in park and then turning the key in the ignition. I contacted Chrysler Corp. Customer service who were not helpful. I have looked on-line and this seems to be a problems with the cruiser. I am afraid this stoppage will happen on the expressway and I will be injured or killed. If this is and has been a problem, would you not think Chrysler would try to fix it before someone is injured or killed. I do plan to take it back to the dealer again, however, I am concerned about my safety and I do not wish to continue to pay for unfruitful diagnoses. I hope you are able to investigate - maybe they will try to find a "fix". thank you......updated 09-29-15

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Oct 282014

PT Cruiser

If my ignition switch is too far forward my car will lose power and what to stop I figured out if when I turn the car on and move the switch back the car will not do that but if I forget and leave it forward it will do this again all my lights come on and I lose power. I believe it should be part of this recall.

- Newark, OH, USA

Apr 242010

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the contact had to depress the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle stopped. She drove into a parking lot, turned the vehicle off and restarted it; the vehicle seemed to reset itself after the restart. The contact called an authorized dealership and the dealer stated that they could not perform a diagnostic test because it would not duplicate the problem. The contact had not called the manufacturer at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 36,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 012007

PT Cruiser

2006 PT CRUISER with recall on rear quarter glass customer states that it's a temporary fix* the consumer stated the engine shut down due to a dirty throttle.

- Valley Center, CA, USA