Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 is the worst year for PT Cruiser engine complaints. Having an engine light on is annoying, but it's the complaints about the engine shutting-off while driving that really have us concerned.

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Dec 132013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I bought a PT CRUISER sedan and the car lot I bought if from said it needed front shocks and it would be ready in two day. I pick up the PT CRUISER and decided to take it to my mechanic and have it check out from top to bottom. It has over 100 mechanical issues, from shocks which were never put on. There is oil in the spark plugs and leaves a smell when the heater is on which makes us very ill. It is not safe to drive. Also, the car lot I bought it from which it was sold for around $2,000 dollars and needs over $3,000 dollars worth of work. Then I got slapped with an extra 5,000 from the loan company. This is a lemon. I am not paying for anything and him and I have went around and around about this piece of junk. They can repo it and then I am getting an attorney for selling me a car that should not be on the road. Too dangerous.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Apr 072010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

There is a short jumper fuel line (plastic) that connects the main fuel line that runs from the tank up to the fire wall with the fuel rail. This line leaks fuel where it connects to the main line. It has been replaced three times and continues to leak. This is dangerous because this line is only a few inches from the turbo or exhaust and on a right hand turn could drip on to the turbo or exhaust and ignite. Also if sitting in traffic or driving at slow speeds with the A/C or heater on it must be kept in recirculate or the smell of fuel enters the cabin. Please note that I am a ase certified master technician and besides owning a PT CRUISER have worked on several others and almost every single one has this problem whether it is a turbo engine or not. The dealer will do nothing about it because there is no recall on it. I am pretty certain it is only a matter of time before someone experiences an engine compartment fire because of this problem. Anyone owning a PT CRUISER should have this line inspected to see if it is leaking and if so file a similar complaint. It is very easy to spot as the line will appear wet or covered in moist dirt at the connector. Also with the engine not running there will be a very strong fuel smell towards the back of the engine on the passenger side. For those like myself that also detest the lousy fuel economy this car gets, the fuel leak mentioned above is surely a contributing factor. What really bothers me the most is that if you ask any Chrysler dealer (ask the tech) they will tell you this is a common problem so there is no doubt Chrysler is aware. I guess someone is going to have to die or suffer severe injury before Chrysler does anything about this.

- Alhambra, CA, USA