2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Aug 122016

• 1,380,000 miles

On August 12,2016 at 12:37 pm while driving my said car a deer ran out in frount of me crossing the road. I avoided the deer and hit a tree head on the airbag light came on but the air bag did not deploy Chrysler have been notified and my car was deemed a total lose. I was driving at approximately 30 miler per hour upon impact.

- Pulaski, VA, USA

Apr 142016

PT Cruiser

About a month ago, I was delivering for a pizza company on somewhat wet roads. The guy in front of me had non-functioning tail lights, so I did not see him breaking until it was too late. I hit my brakes and swerved to avoid him, went off the road down a 15-20 foot embankment, and hit a six to eight inch tree hard enough at 35 miles an hour to split it in half and have it fall on top of my car, and to bring me to a dead stop. Even with that force, the airbags did not go off. I had asked Chrysler to look into it, but after three weeks, they basically told me that I did not hit the brakes hard enough because the rate of deceleration necessary to activate them was not present. I cannot believe that this is the only reason, or even the actual reason, they did not go off.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Feb 102016

PT Cruiser

The air bag light came on and the dealer would not work with me. They want to charge $550 dollars to fix the air bag. But said that it may be more to fix it as of March 9th 2015 many air bags have been reported to NHTSA from Chrysler Corp. The whole car is a mess with many brake downs. The car was moving when it broke down.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Dec 052015

PT Cruiser

Passenger air bag stays illuminated and rings every 5 seconds even when a passenger is there or not.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 212015

PT Cruiser

Driving my vehicle on a highway, approaching the city, with cruise control on. Weather clear and sunny. Highway traffic was light. My speed was at around 70 mph. The driver apparently decided to exit the ramp as it was lined with vehicles. The driver pulled out of ramp and steered to left lane on highway, in front of me. I had to brake suddenly to avoid collision. My car suddenly skidded and spun around once, with rubber burning from tires. My vehicle nearly crashed against the rail as my car skidded for 2nd time to stop. No injuries or property damages. Inspected my car later at gas station. Did not detect any visual problems. Could not figure out why my car skidded and spun around on highway. After the shopping trip, I drove home with no incidents. As I pulled in home, there was smoke coming out of under hood. My car was inspected by two mechanics, from separate time and location, and I was told my cooling fan broke. Possible that the incident leaded the fan to shut down due to mechanical error, the first mechanic said. Cost to replace the cooling fan and labor can run as high as $400. Also, the airbag light, on dashboard, stays on most of time.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Sep 292015

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the air bag and seat belt warning lights remained illuminated and made a beeping noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 146,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jul 292014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The drivers side airbag light had come on and when I brought it to the dealer they informed me that indeed the airbag was not communicating with the rear bumper and I would have to pay four hundred dollars for a new sensor. I was told that the good news was it won't deploy while driving but it won't deploy if it's in an accident. Yeah. The dealership refused to fix it and that it was my problem.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Jun 112014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Batavia , IL, USA

Aug 272014

PT Cruiser

The contact owned a 2007 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the driver crashed into the driver side door of another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The speed was unknown. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 132013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Air bags failed to deploy on a front end collision. Resulting in husband hitting head on steering wheel. Husband is 6'6 and was wearing his seatbelt. Insurance Agency and I have photos where the air bags did not deploy.

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Mar 252011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The airbag light and chimes would come on whenever a passenger would sit in the front passenger seat. Codes B1B56 and B1B54 came up. The seatbelt buckle was faulty and needed to be replaced for $267.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 142008

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I had my 2007 PT CRUISER for 6 months and the horn would stick and not turn off. The steering wheel and airbag were defective and replaced. My front brakes and rotors also had to be replaced at this time.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 292011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

My husband was in his 2007 Chrysler PT CRUISER and was involved in a head on collision, during that accident the ankle air bag deployed and busted his whole ankle out and joint and he had to have a bone graft done and is now still having problems, he has an external fixator on his leg and this has been almost three months after the accident, the cars damage was only to the hood the interior of the car was all still intact and was not at all pushed in, in any way.

- Maurertown, VA, USA

Dec 062010

PT Cruiser

On 12/6/10, I was in my 2007 PT CRUISER when I was involved in an accident. I was proceeding straight thru an intersection when a 1993 Nissan Altima turned left in front of me (was coming form direction opposite me), striking me dead center of my front bumper. The crash did the following resulting damage to my PT CRUISER: Radiator smashed, rad. Support broke, all wires on wiring harness cut (including the wire to the airbag sensor--the airbag did not deploy), hole busted into manifold, front bumper assembly torn off, hood bent/caused right-side passenger door to jam, broke starter completely off, and a multitude of other things. As a result of the severe damage, my PT CRUISER was deemed unfixable and was totaled. This wreck occurred at a speed of less than 25 mph! what gets me is that if the speed had been any greater, my passenger and I would have been severely injured/possibly even fatally because of not having airbag protection. The mechanic at the body shop where my car was taken cab confirm this---I have copies of pictures that were taken of the car, along with a copy of the report that was submitted to the insurance companies involved. Something need to be done about the location of the wiring harness/airbag sensor wire so that nothing severely happens to another driver. I will never, never ever have/purchase another Chrysler product---this wiring harness problem needs to be fixed asap! there were no injuries, except for a sore knee (mine), which I did end up going to the hospital later when the pain in my muscles/tendons got to severe---no bones were broken---just sore for several days.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Nov 202009

PT Cruiser

Having issues with airbag/seatbelt light coming on & the dinging- pd. $98. 1st time, took back 2 more time, still not fixed, said warranty is up & does not cover electrical... they cannot find problem & seem not to be interested in trying.. suggest I put new seatbelt in at my expense of $500. To me this is a driving hazard when U have this alarm going off every 20 sec, it can be a driving hazard.... 2007 PT CRUISER - called Chrysler & they will not work with me on this, is getting very frustrating when U buy a new car & have these kinds of problems.

- Mackinaw, IL, USA

Jan 212009

PT Cruiser

We own a 2007 PT CRUISER, a 2007. This is the second PT CRUISER that we have bought. My husband and his friend, who was driving at the time, had an accident on January 21, 2009. They swerved to keep from hitting a dog and they hit a guardrail almost head on and again the air bags did not deployed and the shoulder straps did not catch. This is the second time that this same thing has happened to us in a wreck with our PT CRUISER. We owned a 2003 PT CRUISER, I had a wreck on April 18, 2008, the air bags did not deploy, and the shoulder strap did not catch, as a result, it threw me forward and caused a bad injury to my left shoulder. I stopped at a red light and a car rear-ended me at approximately 50 mph. It threw me forward into the steering wheel and I injured my left shoulder where I had my hand resting on the steering wheel. I had to have surgery and I feel that this would not have happened if the shoulder strap had caught when the collision happened. I feel that this could be a bad problem with the PT CRUISER. Have you had any other reports of this sort of problem?

- Lafollette, TN, USA

Oct 012008

PT Cruiser 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving 55 mph, the contact struck another vehicle. The other vehicle's air bags deployed; however, the contact's did not. He sustained minor injuries to his legs. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken into possession by the insurance company. The failure and current mileages were less than 47,000. Updated 11/12/08 updated 11/18/08.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 102008

PT Cruiser

While driving in Michigan on us 23 in a 2007 PT CRUISER standard. The vehicle approached a traffic jam and slowed to a stop. Then a BMW vehicle smashed into the rear of the PT CRUISER at rates up to 80mph and the BMW driver never applied brakes during impact of vehicle. The PT CRUISER then crashed into and totaled a Honda Accord. The air bags of the PT CRUISER never deployed upon impact with the frontal vehicle. All passengers were wearing seatblelts which did save there lives. The back seat was jammed into the front seat where the passenger behind the driver received a broken forearm and almost had a amputated ankle from being caught under the driver seat. The of the passenger in the back seat received broken ribs and a heart attack from impacting the front seat. The passenger in the front broke all ribs and a broken back from hitting the dashboard and arm went into the windshield when the front seat was forced forward. The driver did hit her head on steering wheel and caused a base skull fracture and a broken left pelvic bone. Once again all where wearing seat belts which saved their lives but are unsure in why the airbags were never deployed on such a high rate impact which trapped and seriously injured all passengers inside. I do believe that the vehicle did stay intact enough and the seat belts worked well but the failure of airbags and the back seats slamming into the front seats to me does not seem like a car that received a 5 star crash test rating on rear collisions.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Sep 192007

PT Cruiser

I was in a car in September of 2007. I was driving a 2007 PT CRUISER. I rearend a truck infront of me doing approximately 30-35mph. My safety belt didn't lock and my air bags did not deploy. Needless to say my head hit full force into the steering wheel. Road conditions where dry. It was just stop & go traffic bumper to bumper. I just didn't react fast enough. I was told that the sensor for the air bag was located in the center of interior dash console.

- Tacoma, WA, USA