2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 122013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Trunk lock will not open. There is no trunk keyed lock for insertion of a physical key and there is no emergency manual release on the trunk door itself. Lock only has functionality from key remote or lock release on driver door which is not working.

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA

May 222012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Driving on frwy speedometer and RPM go crazy car turns off and turns back on. Very close to getting rear ended several times it is very scary.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jan 212014

PT Cruiser

The issues started at the end of November early December 2013. My car battery was unable to hold a charger and my car continuously would not start. I spent about 200 to have the alternator and starter tested as well as get a new battery put into my car. I then had the same situation happen the mechanic tried a new battery and my car worked for a week. Then it died again the mechanic sent me to an electrician the electrician still claimed it was the battery. Then today I had the car jump started again only to find I got not even half a mile from where I was and my car lights all over started flickering then my car completely shut off to the point my emergency four ways would not even work this happened right at a green light my car wasn't even stopped. This happened late at night so it was dark out and I had to call 911 because I was unsafe and so was anyone else trying to get down the road because I had no ability to signal to people in a safe way to move into the other lane. I have also found numerous reports by people driving my year and other years of the same make and model who have had very similar issues to mine. With a constant response of being told that there either is no problem with the car or they can say there is because they cannot duplicate the problem at the time. These cars are walking death traps to there owners when this happens cause it comes out of nowhere with no explanation and the company/dealer refuses to acknowledge the problem. I really don't think it is right for this to go unspoken any longer because if no one has been killed by it yet its a huge chance someone will/could! a vehicle cannot be perfectly fine if it just quits while driving for no reason at all.

- Bath, NY, USA

Apr 012013

PT Cruiser

When driving the car, dashboard lights start flickering, gauges start bouncing. Sometimes this is all that happens, other times it's as if the car stalls as I have no acceleration. A couple of times, the engine has shut itself off. In researching this online, I find dozens and dozens of instances of this same thing happening with PT CRUISER.

- Waterville, OH, USA

Mar 122012

PT Cruiser

Just after I bought this car, I have had this intermittent problem...while driving, at some point, all the dash lights go on, seat belt etc. As well as all the needles, speedometer, gas etc will go down...this can happen several times in a row, at which point the car has stalled out. About April 2012 the ic panel was replaced. After several times at the dealer and they couldn't get the car to make the problem happen. Well, it doesn't end there...last fall the problem started happening all over again!!!! the dealer had it again several times, but this time they never diagnosed the problem. So, I figured I could drive the car with no heat, or air conditioning, no radio, no cruise control and the problem hasn't occurred, until just recently...this time it goes off continually, sometimes. This is so scary! the car can stall anywhere! I have been seeing this same issue on several blogs...still unresolved.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Apr 102012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

In April 2012 my air conditioner started turning to warm air while waiting at a traffic light and acting as if it wanted to cut off. I took it to the dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. On August 6, 2012 I returned to the dealer with same problem, I was told there was a leak in the line, and if more problems bring it back. On August 8th the air conditioner not only turned warm the car cut off. As long as I'm running steady on the highway it works fine.I actually have to turn the air off at traffic lights or not run it at all around the city, I returned again to the dealer to no avail. I went on line to just answer today, Chrysler expert informing me that possibly the electric cooling fan needs replacing which is common in PT CRUISER.I am concerned it will cause more problems to my car.

- Lanndover, MD, USA

Jun 062012

PT Cruiser

My infant nephews and my niece were in car seats in the back, I have had the vehicle for 2 months. I have noticed the car locking itself while I drive, but this time it locked itself and would not respond to the clicker (remote) or the key to unlock until my nephews were panicked (about seven/ten minutes that time) it opened and I got them out, but it upset me since then it has happened with my passengers and this morning, it locked me in from the inside and nothing would release the locks, not the door not the remote, not the manual. I looked online and found that a lot of people are having this problem and they are being told its the rkem, this is a hazard and a half, I was about ready to bust the windows for myself (I was locked in for almost twenty minutes/had to keep restarting the car to get air in, because it was hot. I cannot imagine how this would not be a recall item.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Oct 062010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Dashboard, inside, outside lights stopped working; windshield and back window wipers stopped working. According to dealership service dept. - instrument cluster need to be replaced; it happened again in 2011, and now again in 2012. Per dealership service dept., ca law requires it be replaced - for safety sake.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Mar 192012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving on a major interstate, and crossing a bridge across the columbia river with no shoulder, the cars electrical system went haywire. All the gauges started to cut in and out (gas, speed and RPM all the dash lights came on), and then the car stalled and died. There was an 18 wheeler directly behind me and he saw my flashers and I was frantically honking my horn because I thought I was about to die. He was able to get out of the way, but there was another 18 wheeler directly behind him and that one nearly hit us. This would have easily killed me and my family ( a beautiful 16 month old daughter and a beautiful wife who is a newly graduated dvm. Miraculously the car restarted during my panic, and I was able to drive off. I immediately took the car to the dealership, and told them of the problem. They ran exhaustive tests and could not find anything wrong, and said they have never heard of the problem either, which is odd because I did a little research on the internet and found others have had this problem as well: www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/33457-flashing-icons-gauges-go-up-down-then-car-dies.html then I found this site and found even more problems that are earily similar. This car is not safe! please initiate an investigation!!!!

- Palouse , WA, USA

Feb 282012

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the instrument cluster would flash on and off while driving at various speeds on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised him that the vehicle would have to be reprogrammed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 48,000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 162011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

During driving operations, this is after start up, the dash board indicators will blink on, light up. This description includes all of the indicators, such as low tire pressure, oil, seat belt, etc.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 062011

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the dashboard light indicators would all illuminate erroneously while driving. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure and that he would have to take the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 202010

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the lights on the instrument panel began to flash and the vehicle suddenly stalled. The speedometer also malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who could not find the cause for failure. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Vinalhaven, ME, USA

May 012010

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the seat belt warning light would illuminate, followed by the illumination of the every warning light on the instrument panel, and then the vehicle would stall. The vehicle was able to be restarted after a few moments. The contact stated that the failure would occur on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who informed the contact that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 21,000.

- Courtlandt Manor , NY, USA

Feb 052010

PT Cruiser

The brake lights and tail lights and turn signals all stopped working at an unknown time this year another driver told me they weren't working and the dealer told me it was a problem in the fuse box or part of it and wanted over $800 to fix it. My PT CRUISER is a 2008 with apx 48,000 miles on it. The A/C system also failed when some smoke came from the front of the car. Not sure if there is a connection but the lights is a safety problem and the turn signals come on inside but not outside so I wouldn't know unless some one told me. I think the manufacturer should be responsible for this and the service adviser and parts department indicated this is a common problem.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 012008

PT Cruiser

A couple months ago my pt started acting up. The volume on the radio will turn up and down without touching anything. Also the radio will change stations back and forth without touching a button. I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. The problem still happens to this day, just at random times.

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 312008

PT Cruiser

Fog lights turn on an off by themselves, does not matter weather the car is turned on or off, or even if the key is in the ignition. Came out of work to find my battery was dead because the fog lights were on. If you go to the following link, you will see over 300 postings regarding the exact same issue: www.topix.com/forum/autos/Chrysler-pt-cruiser/tf81khbdldvt92ah2.

- Irvine, CA, USA