2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 072016

PT Cruiser

The engine will not turn over, all other power seems to be on. Taken to mechanic and it will start. Had it for a few days and it did the same thing. I had to pay for two tows so far, and they are saying that it turns on for them. I'm seventy years old and afraid to drive this car, because it might do it again when I'm further away from home. I live alone and drive the car alone. Each time the car was parked.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 102016

PT Cruiser

When passenger is seated in front passenger seat. Airbag light turns on and chimes until passenger exits vehical.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 282016

PT Cruiser

Ignition cut out on freeway at 65 mph several times. Jiggled ignition key to get engine to run again. Should be recalled and corrected

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Feb 052016

PT Cruiser

While driving the vehicle at any time, on a city street or highway, all of the lights on the cluster would light up, all gauges would fluncuatate and the car would stall and shut off. I have taken vehicle to independent mechanics and a certified Chrysler service center and the problem is not able to be resolved. This issue causes concern and is effecting my transportation for employment and creating fear of driving the vehicle on highways.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 162014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving at any speed, the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power and all the warning lights illuminated. The contact stated that the failure intermittently occurred two minutes after the vehicle was restarted. The contact stated that the failure manually needed to be restarted in some instances of the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic to be diagnosed or repaired.the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Nov 052015

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the headlights were not working properly, the turn signals did not work, the horn sounded without warning, and the windshield wipers did not work. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 123,417.

- Cuttington, KY, USA

Nov 012014

PT Cruiser

-airbags lights are always on. -at times turning car off the fan will remain on till power drained. -while driving, all the lights on dash will turn on and car will shut down. This has happened countless times. After awhile the car will turn back on and be perfectly normal again to drive until this reoccurs.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Apr 272015

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

This has happened about 3-4 times while driving and at starting the car..lights start flashing and bells ring on the dash indicating trouble with the steering control, seat belts, oil, etc...the engine has not died yet, but now that I have read that this appears to be a happening to a lot of cars I am leary of taking the car a long distance. I have not made a complaint to the dealer, but intend to do so this week..my car only has 42,000 miles.

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

PT Cruiser

I was coming home from work and driving down the street when the lights on the dashboard went out, the gas gauge went to zero and the car just died. I lost power steering and braking and I was lucky there was no one behind me at the time. The key was locked in the steering wheel and I could not restart. I called 911 for help as cars were now zooming up behind me stalled in the lane. I was so scared that someone would hit me. I sat waiting for the tow truck for about 15 minutes when the lights suddenly came on again and the gas gauge went back to full. I tried to start it and it started right up. I was able to drive it 2 blocks home. The next day I drove to the cleaners and while trying to park it died in the parking lot. I again waited and it finally started again. I took it to the Chrysler dealership and they say they can find nothing wrong. They suggested I junk it for about $100. I have also taken to an independent mechanic and he said he could not find a problem. I see there are others who have reported a similar problem. And now there is a Chrysler recall on other 2008 models with what seems like the same problem. I cannot drive this car because it is unsafe in traffic.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Aug 012014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, all the instrument panel lights illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The dealer diagnosed that the instrument cluster and wires needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,274.

- Fairfield , OH, USA

Nov 132013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving, the instrument warning lights start flashing off and on, the gauges drop to zero then com back up, and the engine falters sometimes and stops other times. When engine stops, power steering is lost. Car will start up again with starter.

- Eden, NC, USA

Oct 242013

PT Cruiser

I was driving in traffic when all of the dash lights came on and the engine quit running. At that time I lost all steering and braking for the vehicle. It has happened about 10 times since then, twice while I was on the highway.

- Cleveland , MO, USA

Sep 102014

PT Cruiser

Same as other owners, dash lights go on, gauges die, and car shuts off. It will restart after a bit and run fine until boom it happens again. No check engine lights or codes so dealer and shops cannot find problem. Some even refuse to look at the car. I can not trust this car for any long trip or on the freeway.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jan 012014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the gauges would suddenly malfunction and display erroneous information before the vehicle stalled. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate normally before the failure recurred. Also, the contact indicated that an electrical burning odor was present inside the vehicle during the incidences. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Cave City , KY, USA

Aug 062014

PT Cruiser 6-cyl

Car has had repeated issues with all warning lights coming on while driving and speedometer, tachometer and gas gauge all going dead. After a moment the gauges come back to life and the warning lights go off. It looks like the car was just started. The engine keeps running and the radio, wipers, etc all continue to function. Issue is confined to the instrumentation panel. This can occur several times and then go for days without happening. I am not able to 'force' the condition and get it to occur on demand so the dealership is unable to address the issue. Internet searches reveal a number of possible issues including ignition switch and the totally integrated power module - I would just like to get it fixed so the car will be safe. This youtube video is very similar to what occurs with my car - https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=xovo0sic9bk or https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=fcim1aypbhi.

- Burlington, KY, USA

Jun 082014

PT Cruiser

While driving all instrument gauges began flashing and going up and down. Could not accelerate. Was able to pull over and turn off ignition. Restarted and proceeded on my way with no further problems. 3 days later while driving 70 mph down a busy interstate it happened again. I jiggled the key in the ignition and everything went back to normal. I was able to replicate the issue by jiggling the ignition switch. This incident occurred on 4 separate occasions. Took vehicle to dealer and no codes were found. Had the ignition switch replaced and after 1 week have not had the problem again. The ignition switch has always been easy to move and now with a new switch it feels "normal". with the recent recalls of ignition switch issues perhaps this needs to be investigated on Chrysler models. This could cause serious injury and/or death if the engine stalls completely in traffic. Not to mention the fact of having no steering control if the engine does stall. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

- Hartselle, AL, USA

Apr 152011

PT Cruiser

I have had multiple instances over the past three years where the vehicle loses power intermittently. On four occasions I have lost power and had to pull over to the side of the road to stop and restart the car. After the first incident I brought the car to my local mechanic and he could not determine any error codes dealing with the ignition. After my third visit he suggested going to the dealer who could not come up with a solution to the stalling or intermittent power loss. I asked both my local mechanic and the dealer if there was a technical service bulletin for this problem and was told there was none. Also, dash warning lights flash off & over time I learned if I touched the ignition key and moved it slightly the problem might go away. There have been multiple instances over the past three years when the vehicle would experience intermittent power loss and I have dealt with it by slightly moving the key. The intermittent dash warning light problem happened two or three months ago then stopped. Within the past two weeks 6/3/14-6/8/14 the dash warning light incident recurred three times and the vehicle stalled out in traffic on 6/14/2014.

- Atkinson, NH, USA

May 192014

PT Cruiser

When I purchased the car in January 2014 it had 58,000 miles on it. One week after purchase the right rear brake light blew out. I went back to the dealership (carmax) and had it replaced.no problem. Three months later the light has blown again. I get a mechanic to look at it, needs a socket replacement. #issue 1 in May 2014, there was a slight elevation in the temperature (high 80's), I wanted to try on the a.C., when doing so I heard a "pop" that sounded like it came from the vent. I thought maybe it came from not being used for awhile. The air did not blow cold right away, it took about 15 mins before the car began to cool. Now on the second attempt to run the a.C., the same things happened (the "pop", 15min cooling time) but a new problem came up...when I put the car in park it began to shake! it was idling, while sitting; then when I put it in drive it was okay (slight idle, but stopped). This problem does not happen all the time, it is very spontaneous. My plan was to get service on the a.C but I'm not sure that's the real problem #issue 2 please help!!!!

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 292014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I had stopped at a signal light and was hit in an front /head on crash there was no air bag deployment - thecar was deemed as a total lost per my insurance the damage was front left finder - hood = bumper - grill left suspension parts radiator oil cooler and frame I feel that if the car is going to sustain that much damage the car would have deployed the air bags. I have seen cars that the airbags deployed when hit hard enough to scuff the front bumper also the horn would like to stick when depressed some time the horn would sound some time the horn would not make any sound till you beat the darn thing.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Nov 102013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I bought this PT CRUISER from a local dealer, the first time it turned off I was at a stop sign and thought it just stalled from not being warmed up. About a week later I was driving down a local road doing 50 miles per hour when I bumped the key in the ignition with my knee. The car turned off. Luckily it was a straight road with no traffic and I was able to guide the car to a stop then restart it. This has happened a few times more, all with bumping my knee against the ignition key. It instantly turns the car off. With the GM recall in the news I wasn't paying attention since I don't have a GM car but decided to look when I heard it involved the ignition turning the car off. I saw that it is similar yet nothing being done about my ignition so I am filing this complaint. I have notified Chrysler of this problem I am experiencing. I know that many parts are used across brands and these parts may be the same. I am worried I may bump my knee on a windy road with my children in the car and not be able to recover stability and steering if it turns off. Please check into this immediately!!

- Crescent City, CA, USA