2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Oct 132016

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While the vehicle was parked, the air bags deployed when the vehicle was started. The air bag warning indicator illuminated before the deployment. The failure mileage was 15,770.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Sep 102016

PT Cruiser

When passenger is seated in front passenger seat. Airbag light turns on and chimes until passenger exits vehical.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 102016

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the air bag light remained illuminated and there was an abnormal noise. The dealer was notified of the failure, but the contact was undecided upon authorizing the dealer to inspect and diagnose the failure. The contact was to check with the manufacturer for a repair solution. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Apr 292015

PT Cruiser

The contact owned a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact was involved in a head on collision with another vehicle. A police report was filed. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the back, arm, and neck that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 172,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Washington Dc, DC, USA

Nov 012014

PT Cruiser

-airbags lights are always on. -at times turning car off the fan will remain on till power drained. -while driving, all the lights on dash will turn on and car will shut down. This has happened countless times. After awhile the car will turn back on and be perfectly normal again to drive until this reoccurs.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

May 292015

PT Cruiser

The contact owned a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, another vehicle at a high rate of speed switched lanes and crashed into the driver side of the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree. The air bags did not deploy. The contact mentioned that the windows shattered, the front passenger side doors were jammed, and the driver had to be removed from the vehicle by the fire department. The passenger seated in the rear was able to exit the vehicle. The driver sustained head injuries and back pains and the child passenger sustained whiplash and minor bruises. Both the driver and the passenger required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Cameron, NC, USA

Apr 062015

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

A car turned from left turn lane in front of me, about two ft. I hit it at slight angle on the drivers side. My car is totaled. Driver side air bag did not deploy.

- Mount Holly, NC, USA

Aug 142014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

At 10:15am on Thursday, 8/14/2014, the driver side front airbag spontaneously deployed while I was traveling <5mph pulling into a parking space. The vehicle has never been in any kind of accident nor has sustained any other damage, including from potholes (my family took original delivery of the vehicle in 2008). The local Chrysler dealership declined to look at the vehicle, and instead provided a phone number for the Chrysler customer assistance center (ccac). Thirty minutes later, the passenger side front airbag spontaneously deployed while I was traveling 35mph. Fortunately, I was able to maintain control of the vehicle and arrived home safely moments later. I immediately contacted the ccac; the representative forwarded my information to Chrysler's special investigations unit for further inquiry. The vehicle was inspected on Tuesday, 8/19/2014, at a Chrysler dealership by a third-party contracted by Chrysler. The investigator carefully documented the vehicle's condition, including putting it up on a lift, and took 40-50 images. Particular attention was paid to the airbag control module. The inspector found no damage and informed me it has been "beautifully maintained." I received a letter dated 8/25/2014 from Chrysler stating, "we have had the opportunity to review the inspection report and must inform you that we are not led to believe that the incident was due to manufacturing responsibility." My request for a copy of the inspection report was denied in a letter dated 9/12/14, claiming the report is "confidential" and "proprietary." My second request to view the report was denied in a letter dated 10/13/14; I mailed a third request 11/10/14. The body shop manager of the Chrysler dealership and my insurance carrier both concur this was most likely due to manufacturing defect. While Chrysler stonewalls me, I am forced to drive a vehicle lacking functional airbags.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 172013

PT Cruiser

Passenger airbag lite and sensor goes off with no one sitting in seat and if someone is in seat it goes off. It seams as if there is a short in a wire. Others I have read after have had this same problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 292014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that the driver's side door and front end of the contact's vehicle was crashed into by another vehicle. The driver's side air bag failed to deploy. There were no injuries, but the vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The speed of both vehicles was unknown. The failure mileage was 99,833. Jcc

- Watsonville, CA, USA

May 292014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I had stopped at a signal light and was hit in an front /head on crash there was no air bag deployment - thecar was deemed as a total lost per my insurance the damage was front left finder - hood = bumper - grill left suspension parts radiator oil cooler and frame I feel that if the car is going to sustain that much damage the car would have deployed the air bags. I have seen cars that the airbags deployed when hit hard enough to scuff the front bumper also the horn would like to stick when depressed some time the horn would sound some time the horn would not make any sound till you beat the darn thing.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Oct 012013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler pt cruise. The contact stated that when the horn was engaged, it remained activated and would independently disengage until much later. The dealer replaced the air bag horn assembly however the failure was not corrected. The failure was recurring. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 52,000.

- Cullman , AL, USA

Apr 012013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Air bag warning light and chime activated. Indicates no airbag deployment and possibly no SRS capability. Per lithia Dodge Chrysler Jeep #4, "witech test codes set, B1B57, B1B55, B1B56, B1B54". "replace pass side front seat belt receiver (buckle), on national backorder no eta at this time". problem, reduced passenger safety, continues chiming at approximately 60 second intervals and bright red warning light; no fix available.

- Talent , OR, USA

Jun 132011

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER touring. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph through fog, he crashed into the rear of an 18-wheeler. Upon impact the air bag underneath the dashboard deployed and fractured his leg. The steering wheel air bag also deployed and fractured his nose along with other facial injuries sustained. The police were called and a report was filed. The driver was transported to the hospital via ambulance with serious injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and was pending an investigation. The failure and current mileages were approximately 79,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Dec 142009

PT Cruiser

I think their is a serious safety concern on the 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The air bag off light on the dash is supposed to be illuminated when less than 30 lbs is in the seat. The airbag light off light never comes on. The airbag problem light however does come on and dings constantly. I have no idea if the passenger air bag is even working. I have seen this problem all over the internet and I think it is common. I do not think this should be overlooked.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Apr 082009

PT Cruiser

On April 8th, this year, I was in an auto accident in my 2008 Chrysler PT CRUISER and broke my back; there is a chance I may not be able to work as a hospital inpatient nurse ever again because I have to be able to lift 100 pounds. My 6 air bags did not deploy and my seat belt malfunctioned (it lengthened during the flipping of the car) allowing my body to turn around, facing the rear, and crushed my spine against the steering wheel. I had just finished a 12-hr night shift at the hospital, was just one mile from home, swerved to the shoulder to avoid a rabbit. The tires slipped off the shoulder into the grass (the speed limit was 50mph & I usually drive a little under), I was very tired & over-corrected which caused the car to roll sideways 4 times and then hit two trees. It was about 8am and no one found me for almost 1/2 hr. I was conscious the entire time. I fractured one vertebra (T11) which was surgically fused with my T10 and T12 vertebrae, as well as the 3 vertebrae repaired with titanium rods and screws, and packed with donor bone. I'm blessed it was not worse. I was told that it was a miracle that I survived. I am also very interested in forcing Chrysler to do a recall on the 2008 P T cruisers. If IżD had my children or grandchildren in my car, most likely one of them would have died. I see enough people die every day at the hospital so I donżT want any child, etc., to die if the same thing happens in their PT CRUISER.

- Noblesville, IN, USA