2.8

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 292016

PT Cruiser

All warning lights flash while driving, car dies then restarts, very dangerous in traffic. Chrysler can't find the issue, took it mechanics they can't find the issue. Seems like there are 100's of issues with many different years of the PT CRUISER however Chrysler is ignoring and there is nothing to fix. Some days this happens a lot then it will go 3 or 4 days without.

- Clive, IA, USA

Sep 232016

PT Cruiser

I've had my PT CRUISER for atleast 3 years now. Today as I was driving all the lights started going on and off on the dash board and was acting as if it were going to stall out. However, every time I hit the gas the mph gauge would go up. However my gauges on my dash board had stopped working until I'd hit the gas petal again. It did this for at least a few minutes I was on a busy road when it happened and was not able to pull off the road. I've been hearing a lot of rumors going on about PT CRUISER losing power and locking up on people and bad things happening I think Chrysler needs to get on the ball and fix these issues with their vehicles since we are only the ones that buy them under faith of safety. I had this happen one other time when I first got it but I didn't think nothing of it. The issue seems to be happening more and more often. It's not even at 100,000 miles yet and I am having this many issues. This PT CRUISER needs to be recalled! me or my children best not get hurt it this thing due to Chrysler's neglect on this issue. I've seen many people complain about this issue and nothing being done. Who has to die before it's resolved"!" I would've had pictures but the lights turned off and it went back to normal before I was able to take a snap shot or video of it. Because if I lose power again and it malfunctions and me or my kids get hurt when Chrysler has been notified and they don't do anything there will be a law suit. If I had known this issue would occur I would have never bought it, infact I'm still paying on it for another 2 yrs.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Jul 222015

PT Cruiser

This occurs all the time wether I am driving on residental road or on a highway going 70 mph. My car feels like it is losing power which it is. All the lights on my dash are lit up like a christmas tree and I have to pull over to the side of the road very carefully as I lose steering as well. Sometimes I can just restart the car and everything is fine, sometimes it is a few minutes and a few times it has taken a few hours. I have taken the car in to get the codes read but they tell me it is either the gas cap is loose or another issue with the fuel. I took it to my mechanic and they put it on their computer and got different readings. I was told it was a fuel vacuum problem which was corrected. I still have the issues. Now sometimes the engine jerks and pulls but I don't loose power. Mechanic is unable to find problem. Did not take to dealership after reading all the horror stories about paying dealers tons of money and still not having a working car. Also if I have more then one key on my keyring then the ignition switch doesn't work. If I limit my keyring to just my car key and house key then my car starts everytime and no cutting out while at complete stop like it has in the past. We bought the car used in July 2011 and it now has aprox. 66,000 miles.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Nov 032014

PT Cruiser

I purchased this 2009 PT CRUISER in 2012 with about 45000 miles. Since the odometer has reached about 80000 this problem has been recurring. While driving at any speed or even when parked and during all types of weather, all warning lights flash on and off. Then all gauges go up and down dramatically. Sometimes this is all that happens. However if it happens too many times in a short period of time, the car's engine just stops. It comes back but it is jerking the transmission violently. I have pulled off of the road and turned the car off, waited a couple of minutes, and then turned it back on. So far I have been lucky that it hasn't stopped at high speed and have been able to get out of traffic fairly easily. However this is very dangerous. This is our only vehicle, so we have to use it, but we are unwilling to leave town with it doing this.

- Ottawa, KS, USA

Nov 272015

PT Cruiser

After starting and running normally for about 20 minutes, the vehicle will begin to exhibit electrical issues. The gauges will drop to zero and then slowly return, the warning lights will flash, and the warning chime will sound repeatedly. It seems like when this happens the engine goes through a start cycle. Most of the time, this problem is otherwise asymptomatic, but occasionally it results in sudden power loss to the engine. It does not seem to matter if the vehicle is moving or not; it happens if the vehicle is stopped, moving slowly, moving quickly, etc. The engine has lost power more than once at a critical moment (turning left, clearing an intersection) and multiple times in moving traffic.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 292015

PT Cruiser

Driving at various speeds, all warning lights flash on and off, then all guages go up and down dramatically, the loss of power, car comes to stop but engine doesn't die. Turn off engine, then on then same thing 2-3 more X on way home. Dangerous. Due to faulty tipm made by Chrysler? this has happened 20 different days in last month, also battery dead once, engine cooling fan failed twice, rear taillights blew from electrical surges 3X, twice power window wouldn't go. Taken into shop two diff. Occasions but can't repeat problem so they can't fix it. Help! car was on highway several times and on 30-40 mph streets other times.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 242012

PT Cruiser

I'm driving the car and all the dash lights instrument cluster lights come on & off blinking. All the hands like fuel hand and RPM start blinking up and down. It drops in speed. So I press on the gas. It comes back up but it guns the engine and starts jerking. Every time warning light comes on all the hands start blinking again and it drops in speed but this time it cuts off! in the middle of the highway! I coast to the side and crank the car again. The dash lights and all the hand gauges blinging but this time it didn't cut off. I purchased this vehicle on 2009! if I had known that pt's were faulty, I would never have bought it. This incident has happened numerous times since. Sometimes at higher speeds sometimes at lower speeds. Sometime just sitting parked it cuts off! from the research I've done since, there have been a lot of the same complaints about the pt. It's not safe! it's not safe when you're going 70 in heavy traffic and the car cuts off!

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

Jun 302014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving at various speeds, the speedometer and fuel gauge fluctuated and the engine stalled. The failures recurred numerous times. The dealer diagnosed that the camshaft, alternator, battery post, and battery needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Dec 232014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I'm driving the car and all the lights come on in the middle. All the hands like fuel hand and RPM start bobbing up and down. It drops in speed. So I press on the gas. It comes back up in speed but it guns the engine and starts jerking. Every warning light comes on again all the hands start bobbing again and it drops in speed but this time it cuts off! in the middle of the highway! I coast to the side and crank the car again. It starts doing the warning lights and the hand gauges bobbing but this time it didn't cut off. This was the first incident on 12/23/2014. I purchased this vehicle on 11/22/2014! if I had known that pt's were faulty, I would never have bought it. This incident has happened numerous times since. Sometimes at higher speeds sometimes at lower speeds. Sometime just sitting parked it cuts off! from the research I've done since, their have been alot of the same complaints about the pt. It's not safe! you know it's not safe when you're going 70 on the interstate in heavy traffic and the car cutts off! this is not good.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Sep 022013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Engine dies at speed, and will restart in a second or two (manual transmission). Gauges go haywire. Can sometimes reset condition for a while (minutes to an hour) by turning key off-on, or restarting while at speed - sometime not. Has gotten much worse, car now has 185,000 miles. Replaced engine PCM - no effect. Replaced engine tipm - no effect. Kind of scary when this happens pulling out into traffic. Software design defect?

- Claremont, NH, USA

Nov 062014

PT Cruiser

Purchased vehicle a couple of years ago with about 32,000 miles, everything has been great until a couple of weeks ago. At about 41,000 vehicle has started stalling when moving, horn will not quit, starting issues and dash lights flash on and off. This is a very dangerous issue and I have read most of the prior 60 complaints dating back to 2010 and nothing has been done by Chrysler. I have heard on the national news that there is finally a recall with this vehicle but my VIN # is not included for some reason.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Jan 202010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

This is the 2nd PT CRUISER that I have owned. The first one was great! but...this one!! ongoing problems since we have owned the car!!!! seat belt wouldn't unlock couldn't get out of car. I was locked in. Someone had to open door from outside. Lights always flickering. Loss power. Acts up while driving. Finally got so bad that the car would just stall out. Took to dealership and was told they couldn't find anything wrong. They said...and I quote "remember we didn't do anything." Why would they say that" the latest... lights flickering, radio going on and off stopped at a store. When I came couldn't unlock the car with my remote. Had to use key to get in, alarm went off, had to jump in and start car to turn alarm off. Pulled out into traffic and the car quit. Completely stalled out. Turned everything off, put in park and it started up but I parked it at a friends that lived one block away. Was afraid to drive it. 3 hours later went to pick car up and nothing worked. No lights no juice no click no nothing got it jumped started. Went straight to advanced auto because it was late. Alternator ok battery ok I just want to get rid of it but don't want someone else stuck with this lemon what do I do????"

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Jun 022014

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 12/03/14

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Sep 222014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Travelling at about 60 mph on the freeway, suddenly I noticed all the warning lights on the instrument panel coming on at once, for about 2 or 3 seconds, then going off again. I also noticed the fuel gauge and tachometer needles dancing around at the same time, before stabilizing. This happened several times within approximately 40 minutes of driving. I was afraid that the engine could stall but luckily the motor kept running without any indication of stalling. I have read several other posts and descriptions of people with identical problems and some of them described the engine stalling. Many of these state that dealerships are unable to find the problem and that Chrysler has not publicly acknowledged it. I find this difficult to believe as this has the potential of a major lawsuit waiting to happen as soon as someone gets hurt as a result. There are just too many of these descriptions to believe that this issue has not been identified.

- Winnetka, CA, USA

Sep 012013

PT Cruiser

Gauges go crazy, sometimes it dies but will start up again. Wont trip codes to find the problem.

- Manvel , TX, USA

Jul 082013

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving various speeds the instrument panel malfunctioned. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,639.

- East Canton, OH, USA

Jul 242013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving the car will just stop, the gauges will flicker on and off and the gas gauge will drop to empty. After it shuts off, it will start back up as if nothing happened. You might be okay for a few days or months before it happens again. We have had the car back in with the dealer at least 5 times and they can't seem to duplicate the issue. Even after keeping the car for over a month or more. We then caught the gauges going crazy and recorded it for the dealer. They couldn't find a code for the issue. We had the battery replaced and it didn't fix the issue. Now they think it might be the ignition switch. We are having that replaced now. This same issue is affecting many 2009 PT CRUISER owners and chrsyler has not stepped up to address the problem. It is extremely dangerous to be driving a car that just comes to a complete stop whether you are on the highway or a residential street. My hope is that there is not a loss of life or limb before something is done.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jun 012014

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

After driving for about 5 minutes and going about 35 mph the lights on the instrument panel went on and all the gauges went to zero. I didn't totally lost power but slowed down and the gauges popped back and the instrument lights came back on. It has continued to run ok for the last 3 days. Took it to the dealer and was told nothing could be done unless they could duplicate the problem. This exact same thing occurred on September 8, 2013 at a mileage of about 39,100. The car has run ok since up to this latest incident on June 1, 2014.

- St. Joseph, MI, USA

Jun 022014

PT Cruiser

While driving all dash lights going crazy, car engine shut down, driving approx. 55 miles per hour. This has happened approximately 3 times. Took to Chrysler dealership. Unable to replicate the problem. I was directly in front of 18 wheeler when engine just shut down.

- Columbia, AL, USA

Nov 192011

PT Cruiser

The car was in motion when passenger airbag off light on dash illuminated, and then all gauges on dash dropped to zero and reset several times in succession. This has occurred several times, often including a loss of acceleration or engine stalls (though engine has never shut completely off, often it is only revived with a press of the accelerator). As with other complaints on this site, the vehicle was taken a dealership on several occasions for diagnosis, but the issue was never replicated. It has occurred several times in the past years, the most common symptom being the passenger airbag light coming on (practically weekly), indicating my passenger has no airbag and could be jeopardy in the event of an accident. No one has ever found this issue, which as repeated even after battery, electrical system, and battery contacts have been replaced. The vehicle has undergone numerous repairs related to the electrical system but this hasn't stopped, and I don't have the money to replace this car. Please look into this, the lives of my family are at risk if the passenger airbag doesn't work!!

- Tomball, TX, USA