CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Apr 012015

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 2004 Pacifica was recently in for oil change when mechanic said the engine sub frame is starting to rust out and this will not pass inspection. I was told to go to junk yard to find sub frame and someone will need to install it. I have seen a lot of complaints about Pacifica sub frame rust and even a class action suit filled in Ohio in Jan 2015. Will chryslyer cover this issue?

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Apr 062015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was feeling a shimmy in the car when I was going downhill and applying my brakes. I took it to my mechanic where he lifted it up and discovered that the sub frame rotted in half and is falling apart. His advice was no to drive it until it was repaired because the part that is almost rusted through holds up the rear of the engine and the front of the transmission. He said it was unsafe to drive in the condition it is in and with it being a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica with 115252 miles on it there should not be this much rust. I immediately contacted Chrysler group llc and was informed that they can only go by my VIN number and that with my VIN number there were no recalls about this problem and that there was nothing she could do.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Jun 282003

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for routine servicing and it was discovered that the underbody and the cradle for the motor were rusted. The dealer stated that the cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 03/10/15

- Elk Rapids, MI, USA

Dec 122014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My wife was pulling away from a traffic light and the steering locked up. She was able to stop before crashing. What I found was very disturbing. The rear engine cradle mounts had separated. Causing the engine cradle to contact the ground on acceleration also the steering track which is attached to this cradle became non-functional. The center ripped out of both rear mounts and there is no mechanical stop to prevent the cradle from separating from the body of the car with amount failure. This cradle had been replaced under aa warranty 14 months and 11,000 mi.earlier. I had the vehicle taken to a Chrysler dealership, they informed me that the front cradle mounts were also separated and they could not put the car on the lift to pick it up due safety reasons and the engine cradle would come out from under the car. I contacted Chrysler customer service and after about a week they informed me that they would warranty the mounts and no labor and only if the repairs are done at the dealer. The cost of the parts is minimal in comparison to the total cost of the repair and what could very easily have happened if the mounts had failed in a different situation at a much higher speed and not on a city street.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Oct 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

After multiple hard clunk sounds after braking, we investigated the underbody of our Pacifica. The frame has severe rust and some good sized holes present. We are concerned that the engine cradle is unsafe and will not hold the engine securely. This car has no rust on the exterior paint, only the under carriage is rusting out. This car has been garage kept and maintained, so there is no reason this should be occurring.

- Plainfield , IL, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

This vehicle engine cradle assembly is rusty with in 8 years of operation. Rusty engine cradle causes safety concern for the driver and other vehicles operating near 2004 Chrysler Pacifica on the road because the engine can fall out of the vehicle during operation. Many Pacifica owners on line complained about this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 172014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Dealing with a rotted K-frame crossmember for the front engine cradle; has caused the whole suspension to fail, effecting steering components, as well as, wearing out other parts such as, engine mounts and front end bushings on a car with less than 100,000 miles on it.

- Columbia, CT, USA

Nov 102014

Pacifica

I went to have routine oil change and was told by the tech, that the engine cradle and frame were severely corroded from rust. His recommendation was to have it taken care immediately, it could possibly be unsafe.

- Natick, MA, USA

May 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

This car has a serious rust issue on the undercarriage. It starts on the subframe then works its way to the frame of the car. There front suspension has been replaced 3 times in the month alone. Due to this issue I have in regards to this, I can't jack my car up with the jack that comes with the care, if I do it will go right thru that is what it feels like to me.. I can not get a rear alignment on my car because of the rust and my tired have worn or day. If anyone knows anything could they please help I am feed up with this care..

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 272014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I took my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica to have routine maintanence done on it. I was told from my mechanic that my frame was rusty, rotten and had holes in it. He went on to say that it is dangerous to be driving as the frame of the car in an accident will not be effective and would basically crumble. He said to immediately take it to a Chrysler dealership and have them look at it. I took it as told to the dealership and they did confim my mechanics finding. They handed me a phone # to Chrysler. I called and got the run around again and again. Yes they are aware of the problem, but my car isnt included in the 7000 to be fixed. But yes it has the same issues, but no we cant help you. It is a $2500 fix that Chrysler is well aware of. I have poured over online articles, news casts, all concluding the same thing. Some get fixed and some dont. I was told by my dealership to file a comlaint, keep on complaining and hope Chrysler will help. It is a safety concern in driving my car, there is no safety in my car right now, nor is there any value to my car as even the dealership has told me... they cannot take it in on trade or anything else for that matter as it is unsafe. Help!!!! it appears that only the people that get any help are the ones that go to the press/news etc.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Apr 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Had car on hoist notice that the engine cradle/ frame is rusted out, was advise not safe to drive.

- Rudolph, WI, USA

Sep 022014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took my car to have a plastic front panel put back on. The repairman sent me pictures of the engine cradle rusted out. Told me the car was unsafe to drive until it was fixed. Contacted local Chrysler dealer and gave me information to contact customer service. Called customer service and my vehicle was outside the coverage described on bulletin 13-001-12 issued on Mar 16, 2012 by Chrysler. They were not able to provide any relief on the repairs which will be between $3500 and $4000 depending on parts cost. My vehicle was built September 18, 2003, and put in service on December 22, 2003. The service bulletin only covered vehicles from Feb 23, 2004 to Mar 31, 2004. I am sure my vehicle is in the same category as the covered vehicles, same rust problem, same areas of the car, etc.

- Angola, IN, USA

Aug 292014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the frame was completely corroded. The failure was gradually getting worse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the sub frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Sep 022014

Pacifica

Took car in for inspection that is required in the state of pa..mechanic would not ok inspection sticker because the engine cradle on my Pacifica is so badly rusted..you could put your fist into it...can not be repaired because it is all falling apart...I was told not to drive it...to dangerous...I called Chrysler they will not do anything about it...I see on the internet and the news that I am not the only person having this problem...my car only had 50,000 miles on it because I am retired...can't anyone do anything about this before we end up dead...what about states that don't inspect you cars...what am I to do retired and no car to drive...I can't afford the price of repair...Chrysler should take care of this...they need to stand behind their products.

- Albion, PA, USA

Aug 282014

Pacifica 4WD 6-cyl

Significant rust and corrision resulting in damage to structural integrity and ability to exit vechicle in case of collision or structural failure.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 042014

Pacifica

Engine cradle/mount and frame is completely rusted out. Unsafe to drive. Stuck with a pile of steel that has no trade in value or resale value. Apparently, this effects almost every 2004 Pacifica. NHTSA ought to be looking into this issue more closely. It's obvious that the hundred's who've registered a complaint on this website are feeling that the Agency does not care to investigate. Shame on Chrysler; shame on NHTSA.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

May 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

On above state date, I took my vehicle in for a routine oil change and tire rotation. My mechanic discovered that the subframe/engine cradle had rusted out and that I shouldn't drive it until it is repaired. Stated "you could have died in this thing". after getting it repaired, I spoke to a customer service repair person at Chrysler and they informed me that due to my Chrysler Pacifica being manufactured on September of 2003 and not between February and March of 2004, they could not help me. The rep went on to add that she hears from people regularly in the same predicament but unfortunately she couldn't help. I believe she said her name was belinda or melinda.

- Monon, IN, USA

Jun 092014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle has rusted out and the engine is ready to fall out of the car. Cannot pass safety inspection. No assistance from Chrysler on this after many calls. It seems to be a very, very popular issue. They said they will only fix something that has a recall. So basically they will not stand behind their products unless they are forced to. What a shame!

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 012013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Sub-frame is rusting out.

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA

May 072014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle vibrated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the vehicle had severe rusting and corrosion of the under frame and engine cradle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Chacpaqua, NY, USA