CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2. replace subframe (1 reports)
2004 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments

Oct 272016

Pacifica 3.5L

Because we maintain our cars very well, we have our trusted mechanic give his advice when we hear or see something not normal. Today, in for our regular oil change and to check on a squeek from the belt and some other things, he came back and simply said "I didn't change the belt as requested because you guys need to make a decision..." Well that's odd, I thought. He went on to say that the subframe a.k.a cradle was rotted out and could fail at any point. I thought wow, that sounds serious but took it with a grain of salt as he tends to exaggerate a bit. I got the car home and put it up and I was shocked! He was right (not sure why he didn't notice on the last service...) Anyways, the transverse bar welded between the two parallel beams of the subframe was totally rotted out along the bottom welds and on the right side (passenger) along the bottom and up the sides. For the first time in my life I'm actually afraid to let my wife drive the thing so now I've got to scramble to arrange a car for her.

The repair is clearly not worth it, but how maddening - a simple design flaw deems the car junk. We kept this car in such good mechanical condition (and believe me this car had so many parts changed to keep things in shape) that it's actually a pleasure to drive on road trips and it's actually pretty good on gas for its size. The engine and trans are great, it always starts and runs perfectly even in sub-zero weather. It doesn't use a drop of oil between changes even with the 178k on it. I really hope there is something Chrysler offers to do or forced to do out of any class action.

- , Arlington Heights, IL, USA

May 172016

Pacifica

click to see larger images

subframe separated from body

We had the sub frame replaced on June 18th 2014 at 151178 miles now on May 17th 2016 at 168326 miles the subframe has separated from the body of the car. I am very lucky this happened on my street and not on the highway. I had the caw towed to the dealer how sold us the car and who has done all the work on it from new. I was advised the repair from 2014 is our of warranty. I am getting a quote.

- , timonium, MD, USA