Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 152013

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic could not determine any defect codes from the diagnostic test. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. number: 04V113000 (power train) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Weaverville, NC, USA

Feb 292012

Pacifica 6-cyl

When I accelerate from a stop (at a red light to green) and "go" before I reach 10mph.. the car suddenly pauses and shakes (as though it's shifting in gear and gets stuck in a low gear) and is not smooth but shakes the whole car. Also, on the highway....the car would suddenly go into low gear...and (again, I don't have stick shift) I press the accelerator and I can hear the engine burning.... cause I can't go over 25 mph. So I have to pull over and turn the engine off and turn it back on. Another issue is the front bumper has a silver plate at the corners of the front car. I have replaced it 3 times cause it falls annoying!!!!!!!! worse than a wheel rim plate falling off.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 012009

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine and transmission mounts on all Chrysler Pacifica models are putting the public at risk...the failure rate for these vehicle components is astronomical and repetitive after repairs. The failure of the engine and transmission mounts can cause additional failures that also put the public at risk...this includes: --ground wire fatigue and failure causing a multitude of unexpected electrical problems and vehicle shut down --damage to vehicle wiring harness to the powertrain control module, again causing a myriad of unexpected electrical problems and vehicle shut down --cooling system failure...engine movement causes upper radiator hose to disconnect compromising the cooling system and contributing to environmental contamination when the engine coolant is released. I know that this has been reported previously and it is appalling to realize that no action has been effected by this oversight arm. Chrysler needs to be held accountable for their poor design and quality standards and find an effective solution to this issue that has affected every Pacifica manufactured. I look forward to your response...

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Oct 272012

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 10 mph, the transmission hesitated in a jerking motion. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The egr valve was replaced but the failure continued to occur. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 04V113000 (power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM) however, the contact's VIN was not included in the recall and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 113,813.

- Salem, OR, USA

Oct 102012

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that when the vehicle was placed in drive, there was a loud noise heard as the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred sporadically. In addition, while the contact was driving 45 mph all of the warning lights illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified who advised the contact that there was a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 04V113000 (power train: Automatic transmission: Control module -tcm, PCM) but his VIN was not included. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Medford, MA, USA

May 312011

Pacifica 6-cyl

At any driving speed my pacific stalls and cuts off! can be at 5-50mph when it has happened to me. A month after I bought it, it just cut off at an intersection (dangerous) then at slow down approach to an intersection. Even happens random times on acceleration from a stop, it will cut off. Have had it checked numerous times and nothing was found wrong. Had tune ups with normal maintenance performed and still have this problem. Now my wife will not drive it at all! wish someone could force Chrysler to address the problem and fix since knowing others have same issues with theirs from reading forums! please help!

- Leland, NC, USA

Jul 102012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Told at time of service by dealer that the engine cradle was rusting thru threatening failure. This is a recognized problem in the 2005 vehicles which Chrysler has extended the warranty out to 10/yr 150,000 miles for, but they are refusing to extend the warranty on the 2004 model. Repair estimate of $2900.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Jun 252012

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the engine began to lose power and would not change gears. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The transmission pan was taken off and it was full of metal. The contact was advised that she would need a new transmission. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 63,000.

- East Grand Forks, MN, USA

Dec 022010

Pacifica 6-cyl

While driving car it knocks after pushing brakes then gas again it continues to do so after I have had over 2000 in repairs done. It has new shocks new axles new motor mounts & tires I believe several other owners have had the same issues and a recall should be in place or an explanation of why our cars are doing this! I bought the car used and was told the owner sold it because they did not want to put the money into it to have the motor mounts replaced so I am thinking that she might have had the same issue. It also shakes after I get past 50 mph. It has also died after turning a sharp left and I almost crashed with my infant in the car. It has locked me out of the car with my daughter still in the car! also the rear ac is not working any longer and I had it looked at and no one can tell me why. I would have traded it in but I am not able to start all over with payments again on a new car. Thank you and any information in regards to the problems I have been having with our car would be awesome. I have never received any recall information on this car and if any are in effect and could fix these issues please let me know.

- Big Stone Gap, VA, USA

Mar 022012

Pacifica 6-cyl

When reversing or speeding up in drive with the steering wheel turned a popping noise is heard from the drive and passenger side axles with no damage to the axles Chrysler is saying it is the gaskets on the axles. Repair cost $253 for 2 gasket and repair costs.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Feb 082012

I took my care into the sear auto center in annapolis, md for a tune up and also asked them to check for the knocking noise under my hood as is was affecting my steering and making the car hard to steer when going around curves. I was told that the front end suspension needed to be replaced badly as the parts were severely rusted. I was also told that I would have to leave the car at the facility overnight as they were having problems removing the old parts due to heavy corrosion on the old parts and it would take more time to get the parts off and replace then with new parts. In December of 2011, I purchsed new tires and was also told that I needed to purchse new wheels because the current wheels on the vehicle were starting to rust. In September, I had my brake pads replaced and was also told that I needed new rotors because those were also rusting. I do not live in a flood zone, nor have I ever had my car in a flood. I was made aware of a recall by Chrysler yesterday of its 2004-2005 Jeep brand due to corrosion and wanted to submit this as there may also me Chrysler such as mine that have had corrosion issues from normal usage. A few years ago, I also had to have the rear differential serviced due to a leak and this may have also been due to corrosion.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Feb 192012

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the transmission exhibited severe hesitation in a jerking motion and after a few moments the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was inoperable and had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Old Fort, TN, USA

Feb 012010

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving at low speeds or while idled. The failure recurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the battery was the cause of the failure. The battery was replaced, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 04V113000 (power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM)). The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Mission Veija, CA, USA

Nov 302011

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica taken to mechanic after purchasing used with 69,500 miles for "clunking" noise in front-end. Replaced parts included: Sway bar linkages, tie rod ends, and struts and mounts all of which needed replacing. But the noise was still there. The mechanic then used a tool he called "chassis ears" to pinpoint the source of the noise. He found that the subframe (engine cradle) was rusted at the point that it mounts to the body, just under the front passenger-side floorboard. Upon further inspection rust was apparent on the drivers-side also. This is a major safety issue!!! the entire front-end of the vehicle including: Engine, transmission, and all front-end suspension and steering is held in place by this subframe (engine cradle). What happens when this totally fails while driving with six people in the vehicle" why has this not become a mandatory safety recall? does someone have to get killed before this gets someones attention" this is not an isolated incident as can be seen by this website. NHTSA please help!!!

- Banner Elk, NC, USA

Oct 262010

I was driving my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica when the acceleration started to taper off gradually. Eventually it went down to 25mph when I pulled off the road. As I turned off the engine smoke started flowing out of the vents in the car. Within a couple of minutes fire was shooting out of the passenger's foot well from the engine. The police was on the scene immediately and was unable to put it out two firetrucks and 4 police cars arrived at the scene. They stated they had never seen a car go up so fast. There was nothing but the shell left.

- Maplewood, NJ, USA

Jun 022010

2004 Chrysler Pacifica with failed motor mounts (3).

- Campbell, CA, USA

Feb 172010

Problem was with my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica not starting. After taking it to a mechanic found that I have three broken motor mounts. This appears to be a very common problem for this make and model according to the many complaints I have read online.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 182009

My car was recently state inspected and it was discovered that I needed the front and rear motor mounts on my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. After researching the problem, I read complaints from many owners who had the exact same failures with their Pacifica's despite low mileage (30,000 to 40,000 miles). The problem appears to be a serious defect with this car because the motor mount is on backorder with the majority of Chrysler dealers. A Chrysler parts department employee at reedman's dealership in langhorne, pa. Told me the part is on backorder with no availability date forecasted. The employee told me this is a sure sign of a serious problem when this occurs. I have a problem now because I won't be able to drive my car when the state inspection sticker expires the end of April. I have read the shortage is possibly self inflicted so as to avoid warranty repairs. I don't believe that is true because bad motor mounts could lead to an accident and liability issues. However, I do believe this needs to be investigated and if deemed credible a recall initiated to correct the reason for the early failures I.e. defective part or engineering flaw.

- Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Feb 032005

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica developed problems with the transmission and the wheel bearings. The consumer experienced problem upon the arrival at home on the first day of purchase. There were clunking sounds when in drive, reverse, shift or reverse to drive, a whine when decelerating at 30-40 mph, excess backlash in the differential. The service dealer notes stated that there was incorrect gear lash and bearing preload upon original assembly from the factory. The dealer fixed the wheel bearing and stated that the transmission was normal. The consumer requested a refund.

- Eureka, KS, USA

May 142005

Pacifica 6-cyl

Pleae be advised that both my engine lower mounts were leaking-one was dried out totally the other was almost dried -I was able to order oem Chrysler parts for my 2004 Pacifica and had it repalced as soon as possible (might be a design flaw) and or bad parts beings used. None the less this accured at about 28,800 =/- to mature for these items to be needing replacement.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA