CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 262013

Pacifica

Husband took car in to have motor mounts fixed. Have been bad since we bought the car, on 1/28/12. Along with a lot of other issues we didn't understand. Ac stopped working. Stalled while driving 55 mph., always shook after a certain speed, electrical, car jerked forward at a stop, tire pressure always read 2-3 tires low even after having new tires put on and aligned. Defog never worked. Weird sound in front of suspension, power train module, etc., etc. But the worst of all is when we tried to have the motor mounts fixed back in December. Car guy fixed motor mounts, husband drove car home, later that night went with kids for ice cream, came out and car would not start. Had it towed back, worked on it forever could not figure out, then had it towed again 2 weeks later, to another shop, where they said the car was done! the engine cradle was so rusted that they wouldn't even let us take the car, because it was so bad! not sure if I am under the extended warranty, but would hope that Chrysler takes care of all the people, who have endured all of these problems, and expenses associated with all! before someone gets really really hurt, dies, or kills someone else!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 132013

Pacifica

Engine cradle was rusted out and had to be replaced. Chrysler has issued a recall on this, however it affects a very narrow window of manufacture dates. My vehicle fell a few weeks out of this date. The dealership, walser Chrysler in hopkins, mn said they were unaware of this problem and declined to help. I had it repaired at an independent mechanic. I have photos and video that show it was nearly at a complete failure.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Dec 222014

Pacifica

Just found out that my engine cradle is rusted in half. From all the issues I been reading online I can not believe there isn't a recall on this.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Jun 282003

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for routine servicing and it was discovered that the underbody and the cradle for the motor were rusted. The dealer stated that the cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Elk Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 102013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact shifted into neutral in order to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Nov 202014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the engine cradle fractured. The contact mentioned that the vehicle had never been involved in a crash. The dealer was made aware of the issue. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,362. Mailed out 01/13/15

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while accelerating, a clunking noise emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine cradle had rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 186,000. The VIN was not available.

- Flint, MI, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

This veichle engine cradle assembly is rusty with in 8 years of operation.rusty engine cradle causes saftey concern for the driver and other veichles operating near 2004 Chrysler Pacifica on the road because the engine can fall out of the veichle during operation.many Pacifica oweners on line complained about this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 202014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My Pacifica has a rusted out sub frame on front passenger side of car. From my understanding there was a recall done for those but only included 6 weeks worth of vehicles made but the problem is much broader than the 6 weeks worth of cars. I have been told by three different reputable mechanics that my car is unsafe to drive because it is so rusted through you can put your hand through it. I have 3 small children and this is our family car. Chrysler needs to be held accountable for this before there are people that die because their engine falls out while they are driving! I do have pictures that were taken yesterday. Something needs to be done about this!

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Pacifica

Was told by my mechanic that the engine cradle is severely rusted and my car could be unsafe. After checking on this site I found that Chrysler extended the warranty for this problem. I call a locale dealership and service dept told me my specific vehicle wasn't covered. I called Chrysler and after several minutes of checking was told that the extended warranty only covered vehicles made from Feb. Thru March of 2004 and mine was made in June of 2003. Too bad since I am just limping this along for another month till I'll be buying another vehicle. It does seem to me that this problem is much more extensive than Chrysler is willing to admit, as I have seen many other complaints for the same thing.

- Princeton, IL, USA

Nov 102014

Pacifica

I went to have routine oil change and was told by the tech, that the engine cradle and frame were severly corroded from rust. His recommendation was to have it taken care immediately, it could possibly be unsafe.

- Natick, MA, USA

May 162014

Pacifica

This car has a serious rust issue on the undercarriage. It starts on the subframe then works its way to the frame of the car. There front suspension has been replaced 3 times in the month alone. Due to this issue I have in regards to this, I can't jack my car up with the jack that comes with the care, if I do it will go right thru that is what it feels like to me.. I can not get a rear alignment on my car because of the rust and my tired hve worn or day. If anyone knows anything could they please help I am feed up with this care..

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 172014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while having unrelated repairs performed, the technician notified the contact that there was corrosion present on the engine cradle. The technician advised the contact that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 092014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was being serviced, the independent mechanic discovered that the engine cradle was completely rusted. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 092014

Pacifica

The underside engine cradle subframe of my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica is rotted and in danger of breaking apart. I can hear noise when steering and the car has a vibration.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

May 152013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the front end of the vehicle vibrated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated that the engine cradle exhibited rust corrosion. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Woodstock, IL, USA

Sep 082014

Pacifica

I am writing because I was told that my engine cradle in my Chrysler Pacifica is beginning to rust through and I have two visible holes, at this time. I was told by the Chrysler dealership that only a small number of these cars have been given an extended warranty. I cannot afford to have my car repaired for $2400. I have a chronic medical condition, for which I have to drive to receive treatments three times a week, plus I work and I have to have reliable transportation. I don't think Chrysler is taking this defect seriously. I think Chrysler should do the responsible thing and fix every Pacifica. Are they waiting for someone's engine to actually fall out of the car and cause a fatality? if so, they will be in Washington just as the GM executives are trying to defend their decision to ignore a problem that they are aware of.

- State College, PA, USA

Sep 022014

Pacifica

Took my car to have a plastic front panel put back on. The repairman sent me pictures of the engine cradle rusted out. Told me the car was unsafe to drive until it was fixed. Contacted local Chrysler dealer and gave me information to contact customer service. Called customer service and my vehicle was outside the coverage described on bulletin 13-001-12 issued on Mar 16, 2012 by Chrysler. They were not able to provide any relief on the repairs which will be between $3500 and $4000 depending on parts cost. My vehicle was built September 18, 2003, and put in service on December 22, 2003. The service bulletin only covered vehicles from Feb 23, 2004 to Mar 31, 2004. I am sure my vehicle is in the same category as the covered vehicles, same rust problem, same areas of the car, etc.

- Angola, IN, USA

Aug 282014

Pacifica

Significant rust and corrision resulting in damage to structural integrity and ability to exit vechicle in case of collision or structural failure.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA