CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 202014

Pacifica

TL-the contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the engine cradle had fractured. The contact mentioned that the vehicle had never been involved in a crash. The dealer was made aware of the issue. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,362. Pam

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while accelerating, a clunking noise emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine cradle had rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 186,000. The VIN was not available.

- Flint, MI, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

This veichle engine cradle assembly is rusty with in 8 years of operation.rusty engine cradle causes saftey concern for the driver and other veichles operating near 2004 Chrysler Pacifica on the road because the engine can fall out of the veichle during operation.many Pacifica oweners on line complained about this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 012014

Pacifica

Was told by my mechanic that the engine cradle is severely rusted and my car could be unsafe. After checking on this site I found that Chrysler extended the warranty for this problem. I call a locale dealership and service dept told me my specific vehicle wasn't covered. I called Chrysler and after several minutes of checking was told that the extended warranty only covered vehicles made from Feb. Thru March of 2004 and mine was made in June of 2003. Too bad since I am just limping this along for another month till I'll be buying another vehicle. It does seem to me that this problem is much more extensive than Chrysler is willing to admit, as I have seen many other complaints for the same thing.

- Princeton, IL, USA

Nov 102014

Pacifica

I went to have routine oil change and was told by the tech, that the engine cradle and frame were severly corroded from rust. His recommendation was to have it taken care immediately, it could possibly be unsafe.

- Natick, MA, USA

May 162014

Pacifica

This car has a serious rust issue on the undercarriage. It starts on the subframe then works its way to the frame of the car. There front suspension has been replaced 3 times in the month alone. Due to this issue I have in regards to this, I can't jack my car up with the jack that comes with the care, if I do it will go right thru that is what it feels like to me.. I can not get a rear alignment on my car because of the rust and my tired hve worn or day. If anyone knows anything could they please help I am feed up with this care..

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 172014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while having unrelated repairs performed, the technician notified the contact that there was corrosion present on the engine cradle. The technician advised the contact that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 092014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was being serviced, the independent mechanic discovered that the engine cradle was completely rusted. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 092014

Pacifica

The underside engine cradle subframe of my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica is rotted and in danger of breaking apart. I can hear noise when steering and the car has a vibration.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

May 152013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the front end of the vehicle vibrated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated that the engine cradle exhibited rust corrosion. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Woodstock, IL, USA

Sep 082014

Pacifica

I am writing because I was told that my engine cradle in my Chrysler Pacifica is beginning to rust through and I have two visible holes, at this time. I was told by the Chrysler dealership that only a small number of these cars have been given an extended warranty. I cannot afford to have my car repaired for $2400. I have a chronic medical condition, for which I have to drive to receive treatments three times a week, plus I work and I have to have reliable transportation. I don't think Chrysler is taking this defect seriously. I think Chrysler should do the responsible thing and fix every Pacifica. Are they waiting for someone's engine to actually fall out of the car and cause a fatality? if so, they will be in Washington just as the GM executives are trying to defend their decision to ignore a problem that they are aware of.

- State College, PA, USA

Sep 022014

Pacifica

Took my car to have a plastic front panel put back on. The repairman sent me pictures of the engine cradle rusted out. Told me the car was unsafe to drive until it was fixed. Contacted local Chrysler dealer and gave me information to contact customer service. Called customer service and my vehicle was outside the coverage described on bulletin 13-001-12 issued on Mar 16, 2012 by Chrysler. They were not able to provide any relief on the repairs which will be between $3500 and $4000 depending on parts cost. My vehicle was built September 18, 2003, and put in service on December 22, 2003. The service bulletin only covered vehicles from Feb 23, 2004 to Mar 31, 2004. I am sure my vehicle is in the same category as the covered vehicles, same rust problem, same areas of the car, etc.

- Angola, IN, USA

Aug 282014

Pacifica

Significant rust and corrision resulting in damage to structural integrity and ability to exit vechicle in case of collision or structural failure.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 222014

Engine cradle corrosion

- Mashantucket, CT, USA

Feb 042014

Pacifica

Engine cradle/mount and frame is completely rusted out. Unsafe to drive. Stuck with a pile of steel that has no trade in value or resale value. Apparently, this effects almost every 2004 Pacifica. NHTSA ought to be looking into this issue more closely. It's obvious that the hundred's who've registered a complaint on this website are feeling that the Agency does not care to investigate. Shame on Chrysler; shame on NHTSA.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Pacifica

Rusted engine cradle / subframe. Many near missed accidents. It's so bad I had to stop useing the car. Forced to buy another vehicle because Chrysler customer care said they won't repair it. Ongoing for 2 years now.

- Walton, KY, USA

Jun 162014

Pacifica

While in for inspection in June '14, we were advised by the mechanic that the engine cradle assembly had rusted through and was unsafe - they would not pass it through inspection. Otherwise, the car is in excellent condition, and has been maintained properly throughout our ownership. Our research indicates this is a problem with the initial factory paint application - it was defective and allowed for premature corrosion of the cradle assembly. There are many instances of this posted on the internet (some of which have been addressed by Chrysler - but not all). This is dangerous and something should be done before accidents start happening (especially with children involved given this vehicle is a minivan).

- Yardley, PA, USA

Jun 132014

Pacifica

I bought the car Feb 6th 2014 from a buy here pay here. After I bought the car I noticed that the vehicles gas light would move on its own from half a tank to empty while driving also my lights would flicker and engine would make a humming noise also after getting on and off the freeway, hittiing the gas pedal car did not want to accelerate and would sputter. On June 13 2014 my vehicle was putting while going 35mph and just shut off on me while driving with my son in the car.

- Columbus , OH, USA

May 302014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated while stopped, the vehicle suddendly accelerated independently to 65 mph. The vehicle failed to stop although the brakes were engaged. The contact mentioned that in order to stop the vehicle, the transmission had to be shifted into park. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed the engine mount was disconnected. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA