CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jul 052016

Pacifica

Took my Pacifica in to get hose looked at and some new tires. Was called and told to come get my car and park it. Was told that engine cradle had rust and rot and that it was not safe to drive. I've had this car for almost 10 years and had never heard of this. I drive every day and need my car.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 152016

Pacifica

Takata recall vehicle will not stay fired up as soon as soon as throttle is relased car dies immediately, sometimes not starting back up for 15-40 minutes, replaced idle air control, replaced throttle postion sensor, replaced all spark plugs, ran a fuel cleaner, and replaced alternator, car still will not stay turned over and still will nnot idle, if throttle and RPM drop car wil die in traffic sitting in drive way hasn't matterd where happens everywhere

- Windsor, MI, USA

Apr 232016

Pacifica

I was driving and my children smelled smoke. I pulled over and opened the hood and saw a fire. A stranger stopped and tried putting it out with a fire extinguisher but it caught on so quickly that there was no chance. I suffered a complete loss since the entire car was engulfed in flames.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Jan 152016

Pacifica

The cooling system for the car does not work correctly. After a steady idle of about 5 minutes, the car will begin to get hot and the fans will kick on. Two minutes later it will do it again. The system it self seems ok, but the fan is constantly on and off. The motor get S so hot that the hood on my car is starting to turn. Next is the airbags. The airbag light for the passenger side is always on indicating a failure. The bag has never been deployed" now the biggest problem is the top end of the motor. My check engine lights keeps coming on. Keeps saying misfire on cylinder 4. everything has been replaced and I still get this code" my vehicle gets it regular maintenance and my mechanic said my car should not having these problems.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 132016

Pacifica

I recently purchased a used 2004 Pacifica. While getting the oil changed for the first time I was informed by the technician that the engine cradle / sub-frame was showing severe corrosion. I spoke to Chrysler the next day and was informed that even though this is a known issue, and Chrysler did issue a consumer satisfaction bulletin and extend the warranty up to 150000 miles on this item that my vehicle was outside that and they would not honor the warranty repair. Even though the previous owner did not have the work completed under the warranty extension.

- Lyons, IL, USA

Dec 212015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler pacific. The contact stated that while replacing tires on the vehicle by a service station, it was informed that the engine cradle of the vehicle had corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 202015

Pacifica

My Pacifica has an exhaust problem I hear an exhaust noise and smell fumes inside of vehicle.

- Butler, OH, USA

Mar 152015

Pacifica 6-cyl

Chrysler did not properly coat the engine cradles which allowed rust to damage the cradles and create a serious safety defect. During a routine inspection, my mechanic discovered the engine cradles were rusting out. The engine cradles were replaced before the engine fell through.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Nov 102015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for routine maintenance and it was discovered that the engine cradle had excessive rust and fractures and needed to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,300.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 072015

Pacifica

The front subframe known as the "engine cradle" is severely rusting out. This is a known issue by Chrysler on 2004-2005 Pacificas. There was an inadequate coating of the metal which leads to premature rusting. In 2010 Chrysler issued an extended warranty for this, but only for cars built in a six week period in 2004. This only covered a small fraction on the cars affected. Chrysler never sent information to owners warning of this or offering suggestions on maintenance of this issue. As a result, thousands of Pacifica owners like myself are left with cars unsafe to drive and unable to sell because of the severity of the issue. The response from Chrysler (fac) when you contact them is "sorry, it is not under warranty".

- Granger, IN, USA

Aug 202014

Pacifica

I own a 2004 crysler pasifica that I purchased new that has severe rust of the engine cradle aka subframe which makes it impossible to drive the car safely or sell the car as well. This rust seems abnormal for a car that is 10 years old. Doing research online, we have noticed that Chrysler admitted to the problem and has fixed certain cars within some limited production run sold in certain states. Our problem does not show up on any recall list and we don't have a record of Chrysler contacting us although they should have. What can I do about this problem?

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Sep 172015

Pacifica

Upon taking my vehicle to be serviced after purchase 1 day ago, the mechanic discovered that the engine cradle was rusted out on the right side. This is the only rust on the underside of the vehicle. I am currently in discussions with the dealer to remedy this issue, but have discovered that this is a frequent problem.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Aug 242015

Pacifica

I put my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica in the shop on 8/24/2015 for an oil change and inspection and to my surprise was told the "subframe is rotting out". my mechanic stated this is a common problem for the Pacifica. I did some research and found a considerable amount of complaints for the same exact issue. Apparently, Chrysler provided an extended warranty for a very small number of cars effected by this safety hazard. Chrysler is not taking this defect seriously; should provide corrective action before fatalities occur.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 022014

Pacifica

Took 2004 Pacifica in for routine oil change and found out cradle is rusting out. To replace the cradle will cost over $3000. To not fix it means the car will be unsafe to drive.

- Wayland, MI, USA

Jul 292015

Pacifica

I have an 04 Chrysler Pacifica with a severely rusted engine cradle. I was told by a mechanic at Goodyear while trying to get an alignment that my cradle was too rusted to do the alignment. He then said this is a known issue with Chrysler Pacificas. I did some research and found a letter that was issued to owners of Pacificas regarding this problem. However, I did not receive the letter. So I called the Chrysler complaint line and spoke with someone who gave me a case # and told me I would need to have the issue verified by a Chrysler dealer and then they would look into paying for the repair. I took it to my dealer who verified the repair and took several pictures. I had not heard any thing back so I called back to the complaint line about my case#. at that time I spoke with another csr who informed me that my vehicle was not one of the affected vehicles. When questioned why not and which vehicles were affected she said she did not know. But, said it definately was not mine. I was extremely upset as I had been previously told if the issue was a rusted cradle and verified by a Chrysler dealer I would be able to get assistance, hopefully on the entire repair. I am not sure what to do now as this is an expensive repair $5000 - $6000. The lady said well you need to put money into a vehicle that is 10 years old. I said I have. I have had other issues with the vehicle also. But, that is for another time. I am so upset with Chrysler as I read the whole problem was they forgot to put drain holes in the cradle. Not sure what to do from here.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Apr 112012

Pacifica

The motor mounts on this vehicle have been replaced multiple times. 3 at a time. There are only 4 of them. I was not aware that it was a common issue on these cars subsequent research has shown that it is very common. It does present a safety risk.

- Jeanerette, LA, USA

Jun 202015

Pacifica

Just brought our car to the shop for an oil change and they informed us that our engine craddle is so badly rooting that we have to spend $2300 to repair. I have heard Chrysler new about this and is doing nothing about it because our car was built in Aug of 2004. That is horrible !!!!!

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jun 232015

Pacifica

My car has begun to shake. I just got back from the mechanic, who explained that the engine cradle is severely corroded and rusted with several holes in it. He printed up the recall information concerning this, which I never received or knew about... and which doesn't cover my car. I have $2,000 worth of work needed to make my car safe that Chrysler should be paying for. I am completely sick of paying out of pocket to fix things on my car that have been recalled, but my car isn't covered under. I am absolutely livid at this point!!!

- Oregon, OH, USA

Jun 092015

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to replace the starter. The contact was informed that the motor cradle was corroded and the starter was unable to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000. Updated 8/19/15

- Waveland, MS, USA

May 302015

Pacifica

While in for an oil change I was informed that the engine cradle has rusted through. I was told the same thing last year also. I was informed that now it has rusted through to where it may not be safe to drive since the engine could shift on the rusted engine cradle and cause an accident. Looking online I see that many 2004, 2005 Pacificas have this problem and many have been told by Chrysler Corp., as I was last year, that my vehicle was not manufactured within the 2 months where they say they had manufacturing problems and had fixed those that they say were defective. Chrysler has repaired many Pacifica engine cradles, according to information online, but only after having an outside investigating Agency like a tv station or other entity getting involved. This apparently is a dangerous situation that Chrysler does not want to address with a recall or repair. My request for repair is on file with Chrysler Corp. From my contact with them last year.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA