CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.7

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 162014

Pacifica

Engine stalls when turning hard left turn. This newly installed engine in my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica, was previous 2 weeks, when incident happened. The old engine went out, 9 days after I purchased the vehicle, with about 160,000 miles on it.

- Blackduck, MN, USA

Apr 112014

Pacifica

TL - the contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, all of the warning lamps illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 126,000.

- Westborough, MA, USA

Apr 062014

Pacifica

TL - the contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact mentioned that the engine cradle was completely corroded. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 127,000.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Mar 282014

Pacifica

I am almost verbatim submitting an identical complaint that you received a day after I was shown the exact same problem, after taking my Chrysler Pacifica in for a routine oil change. This is exactly what I was told too on March 28, 2014. I was told I have a subframe/engine cradle that is severely cracked and corroded on the passenger side of the vehicle and showing wear on the driver side. I was not informed of this serious safety issue with my vehicle. I have submitted an email to Chrysler and am waiting their response but understand that customers are most often told there is nothing they can do to assist with the nearly $3000 cost of replacement, because the vehicle was not made in the narrow window of production that they claim was affected and subject to recall. And may I echo the entire last complaint that was submitted that I just read because it's exactly how I feel too. I have read that Chrysler also selectively decides who to help with the cost of repairs, regardless of their recall window and warranty, after the customer makes enough noise. If it is not their fault, why are they doing that" the nbc report also indicates that NHTSA sees no pattern with the numerous claims you have received outside of the supposed recall window, like this one, how many people have to be put at grave risk before you see a pattern" you might see a pattern if more people knew they are driving unsafe Pacificas, so that they could report it. Please reconsider your recall decision, as Chrysler's liability is certainly more than a couple months of production. "

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Mar 292014

Pacifica

On March 29, 2014, my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica, purchased in August 2003, was inspected and diagnosed, by the dealership where it was purchased, to have a subframe/engine cradle that is "rotting" or in other words, severely cracked and corroded. I was not informed of this serious safety issue with my vehicle by Chrysler. I was informed by a recent investigative story on the local Chicago nbc station, followed by internet research of the issue. I called the customer service number given to me for Chrysler and was told that there is nothing they can do to assist with the $2600 cost of replacement, because the vehicle was not made in the narrow window of production that they claim was affected and subject to recall. Chrysler told me the warranty they offered, related to the recall, was expired for my vehicle anyway. I never received any notification of the problem or that warranty, because they were keeping this problem a secret to most of their affected customers. I have read that Chrysler also apparently selectively decides who to help with the cost of repairs, regardless of their recall window and warranty, after the customer makes enough noise. If it is not their fault, why are they doing that" isn't this the same type of behavior that Toyota and Chevrolet have exhibited? the nbc report also indicates that NHTSA sees no pattern with the numerous claims you have received outside of the supposed recall window, like this one, how many people have to be put at grave risk before you see a pattern" you might see a pattern if more people knew they are driving unsafe Pacificas, so that they could report it. Sorry if I am being a bit pointed here, but the I don't understand how Chrysler and NHTSA can ignore this issue. Please reconsider your recall decision, as Chrysler's liability is certainly more than a couple months of production.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Mar 032014

Pacifica

Discovered engine support has a rust through hole aproxx. 1 3/4 X 3/4. also showing other areas of rust dammage. This auto is low milage & garage kept. Have photos with tapemeasure if desired

- St. Clair Shores , MI, USA

Mar 032014

Pacifica

During an inspection my mechanic informed me that the engine craddle is rusted thru. The craddle is so rusted that he is afraid that the engine will fall out of the car. I have always been a Chrysler guy but this is bad!

- New Holland, PA, USA

Jan 012009

Pacifica

I have had this car for six years bought it used. I have had the front motor mounts replaced four different times. If I turn sharp they break. The first two times the warranty covered them. I think this is a recall issue and Chrysler should be liable for repair charges. I just pray no one gets killed before they investigate the seriousness of this just like Toyota.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 302014

Pacifica

On Thursday, January 30th, my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica was taken to jack williams tire and auto service center in camp hill, pa because of a drivability vibration and/or shake. The mechanic called and said, you were lucky to get the vehicle here in one piece; the engine cradle is so badly corroded that you are lucky that the engine did not drop out of the vehicle. he would not release the vehicle until the engine cradle was replaced because of this severe safety issue. On Saturday, February 1, 2014, I did some research only to find that this is not news to the Chrysler group llc.... in a letter dated November 9, 2010, Chrysler group llc states this is an issue with some vehicles, especially those driven in areas of high salt usage on roadways. The letter informs owners that the warranty period for the front engine cradle (of Chrysler Pacifica model years 2004 thru 2005) has been extended to 10 years or 150,000 miles whichever occurs first. I did email Chrysler group llc customer assistance about my situation and my request for reimbursement and the response I received was: the vehicle has exceeded the time and/or mileage limitations of the warranty. since my vehicle is 2004 and under 150,000 miles I sent a letter to them asking them to please review their decision and in a letter dated 2/21/2014 I received a letter with one sentence stating "after thoroughly reviewing your request and our files on this matter, we respectfully concur with our previous decision." This is an extreme safety issue. The mechanic said that our engine could have dropped out while we were driving and I have 3 children - - I would hate to even think about what would or could have happened if that would have happened!

- Newport, PA, USA

Feb 222014

Pacifica

I have a major corrosion problem on the right side of the engine cradle.I complained of a noise coming from that side and asked my mechanic to take a look as he was fixing a tire. What he found was startling to say the least. I'm in fear of my life and possibly others, if this engine were to break through the rest of the corrosion. He warned me not to drive it and to get another car. I called Chrysler today February 24th to find out what my options were and was told I'm out of warranty and to go to the local Chrysler dealer for assistance.tomorrow I will go there and find out what could be done. The feeling I'm getting is the cost will be in the thousands. Money I don't have. I search the web for information and found that many others have the same problem yet Chrysler won't issue a recall. Some owners were informed and some Chrysler shared the expense. If Chrysler wanted to protect the public I would think Chrysler should issue a recall. People's lives are at risk.

- Laurence Harbor, NJ, USA

Mar 012012

Pacifica

We had our 2004 Chrysler Pacifica looked over by a mechanic around March of 2012 because our teenage daughter got her drivers permit. We wanted to make sure that the car was safe for her to drive. He looked over the car and told us that we should start thinking about replacing the engine cradle. He said that engine cradles in the Chrysler Pacifica were known for corrosion. We continued to due our normal maintenance on the car and as of today we are not able to drive the car until we get the engine cradle fixed. The car is not safe to drive and it only has 107,000 miles. This is very expensive to fix. I did research online and discovered that Chrysler group llc Pacifica's front engine cradles warranty has been extended to 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first in 2004 - 2005 model years. I called Chrysler customer service and read them off my VIN # and they said it was not covered. I asked why and was told recalls are based off of VIN # not what was printed in the letter. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they would not give connect me to one but would have one call me back. I called back and filed a complaint with Chrysler customer service on 2/19/14. We work very hard for our money and to have Chrysler not cover our car is upsetting. This is a safety issue and I it is being ignored.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Feb 182014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler pacific. The contact stated that the engine cradle was corroded and the engine had become partially detached from the engine cradle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the engine cradle was severe corroded and would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. Updated 3/14/14

- Lowell, IN, USA

Feb 132014

Pacifica

My Chrysler Pacifica"S engine cradle has extensively corroded with rust and has become a danger to drive.this was a national problem reported on Chicago television nbc channel 5. chrsyler claims that they are investigating..I would appreciate if someone from your organization can look at this cradle and the danger my family has been put in. Chrysler also claims that my car was built prior to the problem metal on 2004/2005. Need for someone to inspect thank you

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 222014

Pacifica

I took my car to a mechanic for an oil change and I was shocked by what I've seen. The engine cradle is rusted out and it also has cracks on it. It is a real life-threatening situation where the structure can fall out at any moment. I could imagine myself driving on the highway and be involved in a car accident because this car manufacturer builds cars like this. I'm shocked. I have a son that we drive in this car and now I prefer to have it parked than put my son's life in danger. I've never seen such corrosion and it is definitely a problem Chrysler needs to address to all cars. It seems a lot of people are having the same issue even in forida so don't tell me that it's a normal situation due to salt on the road.

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Dec 022013

Engine cradle is rotted

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Dec 102013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Chrysler service bulletin: 13-001-10 service bulletin no.: wb-D-10-34 NHTSA id number: 10045080 motor cradle has rusted out structurally unsafe, will not pass inspection may cause a severe dangerous accident. Chrysler has extended the warranty on 2004 Chrysler Pacificas that were produced February 2004 - March 2004. My car was manufactured in May 2004. I have the same symptoms the cars produced only 30 days prior! my repair needs to be covered.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Jan 102014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Bought this vehicle used, 11 months ago and have had it serviced regularly. Recently it started hesitating and shutting off at random, usually at lower speeds, but recently at higher speeds too, mechanic could find nothing. Had to have it towed to local garage after extreme cold snap because it wouldn't start. It had been flooded. Had oil changed and plugs changed, and mechanic found the engine cradle corrosion, as many other have reported. Just a matter of time before it is unsafe to drive, and the hesitating continues. I have contacted Chrysler 3 times on this, and they continue to tell me that my car is way over the mileage and not within the extended warranty time frame. It is obviously a design flaw, and the parts made with inferior materials. Please issue a recall to include all Pacificas and make Chrysler take responsibility for this.

- Neillsville, WI, USA

Apr 282013

Pacifica 6-cyl

On January 28, 2013 I had my vehicle checked for warranty repairs. At that time I was advised that the front and rear engine mounts were bad along with struts. Also at that time I was called back to the service area by mechanic. He proceeded to show me that the engine cradle was rusting out and showed me various places where it had in fact rusted through. I was told that this is a major safety concern. I was given a quote of $1612.05 to repair this. Due to limited finances I have only been able to have the warranty work repaired. At the time I believed this to be an isolated incident. I have researched several other problems with this vehicle and have realized that this is not an isolated incident. I contacted Chrysler about an extended warranty for this problem and was informed that the warranty only covered those built between February and March of 2004. My vehicle has a build date of January 22, 2004. I believe this should be looked into more closely at all those built in 2004.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Car will start ok most of the time. Seems like when I drive across town and shut it off though, it will not start back up. Only clicks at the relay. I've had this car towed 3 times for leaving me stranded. I have found sometimes if I wait 30 minutes and try again it will sometimes start. This car has been a nightmare. I do not recommend a Pacifica to anyone, and I will never drive another Chrysler or again.

- Hurlburt Field, FL, USA

Nov 192013

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine cradle rusted out unsafe to drive.

- Highland, MI, USA