CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Apr 112012

The motor mounts on this vehicle have been replaced multiple times. 3 at a time. There are only 4 of them. I was not aware that it was a common issue on these cars subsequent research has shown that it is very common. It does present a safety risk.

- Jeanerette, LA, USA

Jun 202015

Just brought our car to the shop for an oil change and they informed us that our engine craddle is so badly rooting that we have to spend $2300 to repair. I have heard Chrysler new about this and is doing nothing about it because our car was built in Aug of 2004. That is horrible !!!!!

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jun 232015

My car has begun to shake. I just got back from the mechanic, who explained that the engine cradle is severely corroded and rusted with several holes in it. He printed up the recall information concerning this, which I never received or knew about... and which doesn't cover my car. I have $2,000 worth of work needed to make my car safe that Chrysler should be paying for. I am completely sick of paying out of pocket to fix things on my car that have been recalled, but my car isn't covered under. I am absolutely livid at this point!!!

- Oregon, OH, USA

Jun 092015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to replace the starter. The contact was informed that the motor cradle was corroded and the starter was unable to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Waveland, MS, USA

May 302015

While in for an oil change I was informed that the engine cradle has rusted through. I was told the same thing last year also. I was informed that now it has rusted through to where it may not be safe to drive since the engine could shift on the rusted engine cradle and cause an accident. Looking online I see that many 2004, 2005 Pacificas have this problem and many have been told by Chrysler Corp., as I was last year, that my vehicle was not manufactured within the 2 months where they say they had manufacturing problems and had fixed those that they say were defective. Chrysler has repaired many Pacifica engine cradles, according to information online, but only after having an outside investigating Agency like a tv station or other entity getting involved. This apparently is a dangerous situation that Chrysler does not want to address with a recall or repair. My request for repair is on file with Chrysler Corp. From my contact with them last year.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Dec 312014

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at 30 mph, the vehicle jerked and the contact heard a noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine cradle was corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Apr 272015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at 40 mph, the tires squealed and the vehicle veered to the right. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the front passenger side wheel leaned inwards. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the engine cradle was corroded and fractured. The technician diagnosed that the strut, strut mount, tie rod, and engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

May 052015

Technician found perforation on the front subframe/cradle area estimated cost to replace $ $2,566.62.

- Petersham, MA, USA

May 052015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was being inspected, the independent mechanic diagnosed that the passenger side of the engine cradle had a hole that rusted through. As a result, the engine cradle needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Apr 132015

2004 Chrysler Pacifica, original owner, 60306 miles. Car was being serviced and the subframe has almost completely rusted out, making the car undriveable. Contacted local dealer and was given Chrysler cust service number. Car built in Sept 2003, said dos not qualify for Chrysler (apparently secret) extended warranty. Filed a complaint with Chrysler, but they will not provide any reply to their "review". we were fortunate that we were not seriously injured, or killed as a result of this quality issue..... and subsequent refusal to correct by Chrysler. Anyway to investigate this consumer safety issue?

- Medina, OH, USA

Apr 012015

My 2004 Pacifica was recently in for oil change when mechanic said the engine sub frame is starting to rust out and this will not pass inspection. I was told to go to junk yard to find sub frame and someone will need to install it. I have seen a lot of compalints about Pacifica sub frame rust and even a class action suit filled in Ohio in Jan 2015. Will chryslyer cover this issu?

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Mar 152015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was being serviced by an independent mechanic for an unrelated issue, the technician stated that the engine cradle was corroded. Also, the mechanic diagnosed that the engine cross member needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- North Field, MN, USA

Mar 272015

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica, I love the way the car handles. But it is costing me a fortune. I recently took it to be inspected and was told that the engine cradle has rotted on the passenger side. I have replaced the front suspension, stabilizers, and brakes numerous times in the last couple of years now the engine cradle needs to be replaced and there is no recall on it, yet it is an extreme safety problem. This is a replacement that could cost up to $4000. It is just not worth the trouble.

- Milford, PA, USA

Mar 182015

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the power control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 172015

The contact owned a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at approximately 15 mph making a left turn, the engine stalled and the doors locked without warning. The contact stated that smoke started to emit from the vehicle before it engulfed into flames. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 196,000.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Mar 122015

I drive a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. I was driving a couple of days ago and I heard a noise under the hood that was abnormal. The noise continued every little bump, turn, etc. I took my car into the mechanic and he said that my engine cradle has rusted almost completely through the metal. He mentioned that Chrysler had issued a recall on certain models and when I called Chrysler they told me that my car was not covered in the recall. Upon researching the topic, I found that it is a very common occurrence with 2004 and 2005 Pacificas and several others are experiencing the same problem that I am as far as Chrysler refusing to fix the cradle. I just purchased my vehicle on May 9th, 2014 for $6,000 and I am being expected to put $3,500 of work into it not even a year later" there is no way that Chrysler should see any of this situation ethical considering there are so many of us with this problem. Can someone please help me get through to Chrysler and get my vehicle back into driving conditions"

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 062015

Engine cradle is very rusted through, need to repair, receiving estimates of $3,000

- Geneseo, IL, USA

Jan 312014

I have a Chrysler Pacifica 2004 (fwd) and I am having problem with stalling while driving and its happed so many times. I was searching on gogle about this matter and I noticed so many same complain about this car. Its a very dangerous situation, I have no other issue with this car.please look into this matter. Thank you very much

- Warren, MI, USA

Dec 262013

Husband took car in to have motor mounts fixed. Have been bad since we bought the car, on 1/28/12. Along with a lot of other issues we didn't understand. Ac stopped working. Stalled while driving 55 mph., always shook after a certain speed, electrical, car jerked forward at a stop, tire pressure always read 2-3 tires low even after having new tires put on and aligned. Defog never worked. Weird sound in front of suspension, power train module, etc., etc. But the worst of all is when we tried to have the motor mounts fixed back in December. Car guy fixed motor mounts, husband drove car home, later that night went with kids for ice cream, came out and car would not start. Had it towed back, worked on it forever could not figure out, then had it towed again 2 weeks later, to another shop, where they said the car was done! the engine cradle was so rusted that they wouldn't even let us take the car, because it was so bad! not sure if I am under the extended warranty, but would hope that Chrysler takes care of all the people, who have endured all of these problems, and expenses associated with all! before someone gets really really hurt, dies, or kills someone else!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 132013

Engine cradle was rusted out and had to be replaced. Chrysler has issued a recall on this, however it affects a very narrow window of manufacture dates. My vehicle fell a few weeks out of this date. The dealership, walser Chrysler in hopkins, mn said they were unaware of this problem and declined to help. I had it repaired at an independent mechanic. I have photos and video that show it was nearly at a complete failure.

- Plymouth, MN, USA